• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

innovative handgun design patent

NRAMARINE

My advice would be to find an experienced machinast, toll and die maker, you can trust. Build the thing, blue prints, etc,start with the ATF stuff first, that way a govt agency has the design dated and on record, then immediately file for the patent. If the ATF rejects it, you can correct the problems and amend the patent. Good luck.

kryptonian

thanks guys. keep your ears open and let me know. was a cop and lots of my mental inventions spring from there. actually think of stuff like this all the time but lack the backing to start them. my concept is very simple and it's one of those "why didn't anybody else think of this before?" things.

Scooter123

The poor Mans Patent

Actually it does exist. It's called a Provisional Patent and only costs 105 dollars to apply. However, there are some significant downsides to using this approach. You have 1 year to file for a full Patent, if you don't follow through your idea is up for grabs for anyone who's read your provisional. Yeah, there are outfits who's wole purpose is to scan the Provisional Patents and file on good ideas the originator couldn't afford to patent.

BTW, I've actually done some looking into getting a patent. Unfortunately, in my case getting a full patent would cost well north to 75K because I'd need to go international. My particular idea has the potential of increasing the cruise fuel efficiency of a gasoline engine by at least 30%. Bad news is it will probably run about 2 million to put together a working engine that uses this idea.

Now, here is one approach you may want to consider. That is to file for a Provisional and then take that to a Venture Capital firm to get the funding for a full Patent and build some working prototypes. If it's a really good solid and innovative idea, there are Venture firms that will take a risk on something like this. Downside is that you'll have to sign away some or all of your rights to the Patent to the Venture firm in return for their money.

The other approach is to put together a working model, make sure it works as envisioned, and then pool a group of family and friends to obtain the funds for a full patent who then have a share in any proceeds resulting from that Patent.