• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOC without empty mag in gun

XD5

I have been UOCing without an empty mag inside my gun. The reasoning behind this was simply to eliminate 1 step of releasing the magazine so that I could simply draw at any time and insert a magazine. The empty mag seems like an extra step and possibility for a simple hand malfunction to occur.

Does anyone else do this?

I clean the interior of my gun after every UOC just to clear out any debris or lint that may of snuck inside just in case.

Ddave

I have been UOCing without an empty mag inside my gun. The reasoning behind this was simply to eliminate 1 step of releasing the magazine so that I could simply draw at any time and insert a magazine. The empty mag seems like an extra step and possibility for a simple hand malfunction to occur.

Does anyone else do this?

I clean the interior of my gun after every UOC just to clear out any debris or lint that may of snuck inside just in case.

I travel to L.A. / O.C. (Huntington Beach) area once a month from Las Vegas for visitation of my kids. (Talk about "Culture Shock!") Usually before I go past stateline, I will UNLOAD one of my mags and replace it into my Glock 22 or XD40. I have thought about this very topic every time I do so. it seems much easier to just drop the mag and press on and if the need arises slap that full mag into the empty magwell. But I don't like the "Feel" of having no mag in the pistol itself while i'm in California, so I always prefer to have the "Empty" mag in. I have adjusted my training at the range to reflect the initial "drop of the empty mag", rack the slide and fire into drills. I live in Vegas now, and I am so glad that I can go about my buisness everyday with the tool loaded and ready to go... I guess bottom line = Personal preference. Just make sure to drill when you're at the range as if it is how you carry your tool on your belt everyday (whichever way you prefer) so you will do what you need to do as second nature if the need ever arises.

XD5

Thanks for the great response. I'll continue do as i've done for now. I just bought 200 rounds of 9mm so when i hit the range i'll train dropping my mags from now on. I don't like the "feel" either, however iv just dealt with it since I wanted to eliminate that step. I just need to hit the 2nd nature position.