• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal to Shoot in the Home?

TheQ

Its a steel propane tank filled with dirt, the lid just keeps the dirt in, and allows you to easily retrieve the bullets. Hitting this thing from inside distances should not be a problem. One of the first, most basic rules is to know your target, and what is behind it.

And around it. It is possible for a round to come out the end of the muzzle and not go totally straight.

It's mire risk than I'd care to take, that's all.

ETA: did you read the law I posted? MCL 324.40111?

scot623

Its a steel propane tank filled with dirt, the lid just keeps the dirt in, and allows you to easily retrieve the bullets. Hitting this thing from inside distances should not be a problem. One of the first, most basic rules is to know your target, and what is behind it.

To that point, what is behind the target? (my guess...families, kids, pets) We know what's NOT behind it ie. steel plate, cinder block walls ect. ect.

stainless1911

Banned
The anti's would love people to believe that a bullet doesnt leave the barrel straight, they had great success in banning lawfully owned machine guns, and at one time, assault weapons, including the magazine for the XD 40 that I carry, by telling people that the guns "spray" bullets. I'm not trying to argue with you, I generally like reading your posts, but I found this response a little odd.

Which law is that? When I searched it, I came up with nothing.

stainless1911

Banned
Its mobile, I can place it anywhere. Considering that the park manager isn't going to support our freedoms as we already know, I was going to take it to my dads house in Waterford, but you provided a cite to a Waterford ordinance prohibiting that. So, at least for now, the only place I can shoot is at the pit.

SIGfreed

As I see and read it, I agree with Onnie, the AG opinion would allow this as a legal activity unless there is a local ordinance against it. Being able to hit the lid of a bucket from 10 feet is not to dificult, but what about making sure the muzzle is aimed properly when ever there is a live round chambered. In case of an AD. I would think long and hard about this, and if it still sounds like the benifits out way the risk, then think some more.

And Onnie, I hope your top dresser drawer has a lock on it.

SlowDog

I used to live in Flint for several years and there was a guy there who had a range in his basement. The LEO's would go there and shoot. So it can be done. And for lead....just use fully encapsulated rounds with no exposed lead.

lockman

State Researcher
If your city has an ordinance against discharging a firearm within the city, I would say you would be violating a city ordinance.

How would they ever know?

If a neighbor complains about noise just tell them you will turn down the sound system on your HD entertainment system.

Does MI allow silencers?

stainless1911

Banned
Its one of those things where you should just play dumb. If you dont say "yeah, I was shooting", there really isn't anything they can do. I reload, so I've always got fired cases lying around, and I only clean my gun every thousand rounds, so It's always a little dirty. In my case though, I really can't afford to take chances. A neighbor that has lived here for almost 15 years just got evicted because their kids were playing with a bb gun. I shouldn't say it, but I really hope someone takes this manager down.

stainless1911

Banned
I shot 225 rounds yesterday, cost me around 9 dollars. Cant afford copper, and its hard to get it out of the barrel. If you have any traces of copper in the bore, the lead rounds will literally solder themselves to it, and cause leading.

TheQ

I shouldn't say it, but I really hope someone takes this manager down.

if you don't like the manager where you live, I'd suggest you move. Interview the owners of the new property very carefully. Carefully review the terms of your lease before you sign it. Feel free to suggest clauses for the lease if you don't like it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Oh. Also throughout the State it's unlawful to discharge a firearm within 150 (?) yards of an occupied dwelling, unless you have the permission if the owners of said dwelling. I don't have the cite right now, I'm on my phone.

I bet your neighbors are closer than 150 yards, no? Most trailers are...

Only applies to hunting not target shooting. DNR law Safety Zone.

https://michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_39267-31581--,00.html

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Safety Zones Around Buildings[/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]Safety zones are all areas within 150 yards (450 feet) of an occupied building, house, cabin, or any barn or other building used in a farm operation. No person, including archery and crossbow hunters, may hunt or discharge a firearm, crossbow or bow in a safety zone, or shoot at any wild animal or wild bird within a safety zone, without the written permission of the owner or occupant of such safety zone. The safety zone applies to hunting only. It does not apply to indoor or outdoor shooting ranges, target shooting, law enforcement activities or the discharge of firearms, crossbows or bows for any non-hunting purpose.[/SIZE]

Onnie

As I see and read it, I agree with Onnie, the AG opinion would allow this as a legal activity unless there is a local ordinance against it. Being able to hit the lid of a bucket from 10 feet is not to dificult, but what about making sure the muzzle is aimed properly when ever there is a live round chambered. In case of an AD. I would think long and hard about this, and if it still sounds like the benifits out way the risk, then think some more.

And Onnie, I hope your top dresser drawer has a lock on it.

???? No Why???