Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's make Washington a "right to carry" state!

Let's make Washington a "right to carry" state!

I am sick of having to have my CPL on me at all times while CCing. This is especially true when I go trail running and need to carry due to bears and cougars in the area. I just recently started OCing as much as I can but I still need my CPL at times, such as when I go into Costco :-) It's much more of an issue than "just keep it in your wallet and you'll be fine." remember the women whose wallets aren't stuck on their butt pockets and want to carry without holding their purse/wallet just in order to CC.

The state needs to get out of the business of CPL holders and allow us to exercise the right that God - not the Feds or the state - gave us. Washington is already a relatively gun-friendly state. We are "allowed" to OC and CC without consequence, and we currently don't have any ridiculous bans on magazine capacity. Like Vermont, Alaska and Arizona, we can too become a right to carry state, especially with our newly conservative congress. I am contacting Mark Hargrove, the representative in my area, and I think that with enough badgering, it will if nothing else be put to a vote. Who's with me?
    Last edited by emtechnik; 01-15-2011 at 04:43 PM.

I have a woman friend who had the same issue of you (were to put that pesky CPL). she sewed a pouch and attached it to the back of her IWB holster. The CPL slides in there and she cannot feel a thing.

How often have you had to show your CPL?? Having it easily accessible isn't a requirement, just has to be on you.

The downside to her setup is that if you need to show the CPL, you have to remove the holster / firearm etc.

Since there is not much play here, I will state of obvious first, while enjoying an outdoor activity I feel your runs would be included into the following RCW as a lawful outdoor recreational activity.
    RCW 9.41.060
    Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
    (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
    Secondly how is carrying ID for driving, credit or debit cards for purchases any less cumbersome then carrying your CPL?

Thirdly carrying ID is a good thing especially when outdoors running where unfortunately bad things can and do happen, thus why you carry. Something occurs and you are unable to tell them who you are, ID could save your life by finding out medical information quickly as possible.

If it is on this issue of being with out identification or CPL is ridiculous, if you do not want to show ID to an Officer when requested, then tell them that.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

I don't have a problem with carrying my CPL. It stays in my wallet behind my driver's license, that way I always know where it it. I have never had to show it, but I carry it just in case. It's not a problem for me. In the warmer months when I am engaged in outdoor activities, I have a fanny pack that has a holster in it for my gun. It also holds my wallet, keys, etc. I personally don't have problem with it since I have to carry my driver's license, car registration, insurance card. What's one more piece of ID? Besides, I agree with Dave; if I am injured to the point of being unconscious, I want them to know who I am, my blood type, etc. Sometimes I think some people on this forum carry this "no ID" thing too far.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    I don't have a problem with carrying my CPL. It stays in my wallet behind my driver's license, that way I always know where it it. I have never had to show it, but I carry it just in case. It's not a problem for me. In the warmer months when I am engaged in outdoor activities, I have a fanny pack that has a holster in it for my gun. It also holds my wallet, keys, etc. I personally don't have problem with it since I have to carry my driver's license, car registration, insurance card. What's one more piece of ID? Besides, I agree with Dave; if I am injured to the point of being unconscious, I want them to know who I am, my blood type, etc. Sometimes I think some people on this forum carry this "no ID" thing too far.
    I think the "no ID" crowd on here is more opposed to the fact that they feel they are being compelled or coerced by LE, etc, to be required to carry/present ID; rather than being opposed to carrying ID in principal.

TO the OP: while I agree with you in principal, I don't think we're going to be seeing constitutional carry in WA any time soon, not as long as Olympia is blue as... um... something really blue.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    I think the "no ID" crowd on here is more opposed to the fact that they feel they are being compelled or coerced by LE, etc, to be required to carry/present ID; rather than being opposed to carrying ID in principal.

TO the OP: while I agree with you in principal, I don't think we're going to be seeing constitutional carry in WA any time soon, not as long as Olympia is blue as... um... something really blue.
    I just won't be cuffed and have my ID taken, even when I tell them NO! It's not like an LEO will listen to your rights when they are "right."

To the OP: Agree with BigDave on .060.

My CPL is in my car, and hardly ever leaves it

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I just won't be cuffed and have my ID taken, even when I tell them NO! It's not like an LEO will listen to your rights when they are "right."

To the OP: Agree with BigDave on .060.

My CPL is in my car, and hardly ever leaves it
    Right... so if police never asked for ID without a justified reason and never had, would you generally carry your licence with you as a matter of safety/convenience?

Right... so if police never asked for ID without a justified reason and never had, would you generally carry your licence with you as a matter of safety/convenience?
    I'd have no issue with carrying ID. I do carry a cell phone with tons of information inside of it ... heh. But no, I only carry sterile due to illegal search and seizure that should never happen to get my ID and "run me" for no reason other than I OC.

<SNIP>
    Unfortunately, I have agree. While I would LOVE to see "Constitutional Carry" become law of the land in Washington, I don't see it happening with the legislature and the Governors seat both being controlled by the Dems.

I have queried all of my representatives (all liberals ) on this topic at-least once a year (normally near elections) and have been given pretty much the same canned response by each, every time.

Paraphrased...
    "While I appreciate your input, I do not see a compelling reason to make such a drastic change to our states gun laws at this time, as the current system appears to be working well enough, and it goes much further to keeping guns out of the hands of those who should not have access to them then the open system you propose. Thank you for your input on these and other matters....blah...blah...blah..."

Or variations thereof.

Anyone get a more favorable response from their reps?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I would hope it would happen doubt it will anytime soon.

But yes I am opposed to a "show me your papers" state. I.D. or CPL whether you are carrying or not. So I carry sterile.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    ...I want them to know who I am, my blood type, etc. ...
    Just as an aside: No physician, blood bank or lab would take your word for what your blood type is, even in an emergency. They will always test it, and will retest it every three days when doing cross matches. (A human can develop an antibody in 72 hours).

The consequences of making a mistake are too great to ever rely on what a patient says. Even in the military, where our blood type was on my dog tags, we would always retest before doing a cross match...

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    Unfortunately, I have agree. While I would LOVE to see "Constitutional Carry" become law of the land in Washington, I don't see it happening with the legislature and the Governors seat both being controlled by the Dems.

I have queried all of my representatives (all liberals ) on this topic at-least once a year (normally near elections) and have been given pretty much the same canned response by each, every time.

Paraphrased...
    "While I appreciate your input, I do not see a compelling reason to make such a drastic change to our states gun laws at this time, as the current system appears to be working well enough, and it goes much further to keeping guns out of the hands of those who should not have access to them then the open system you propose. Thank you for your input on these and other matters....blah...blah...blah..."

Or variations thereof.

+1. We'd be much more likely to see Montana, Idaho, & maybe Utah go that route (an Axis of Constitutionality!) before there's any real momentum here. And with the crap that just went down in AZ, I think this might be a year of fighting to just maintain our rights here in WA.

I would be so screwed today! It's extremely rare for this to happen, but I left my wallet at home. I really think that the fact I don't have my CPL ON me should not be a problem. Especially if I could just give them my name and they would be able to find out with their computer thinghy that I'm legal. If they afforded us the rights that are supposed to be guaranteed by the Constitution, it wouldn't be an issue.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeross View Post
    Just as an aside: No physician, blood bank or lab would take your word for what your blood type is, even in an emergency. They will always test it, and will retest it every three days when doing cross matches. (A human can develop an antibody in 72 hours).

The consequences of making a mistake are too great to ever rely on what a patient says. Even in the military, where our blood type was on my dog tags, we would always retest before doing a cross match...

I am a WM6 and concur that its SOP to test and retest. Never take the patients word on it.

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeross View Post

This is just one issue being addressed, with identification other family members could be found to find medical history that could be pertinent to their immediate care let along notification in an emergency.
    Blood type is only one issue of many, how about being diabetic, heart trouble, or other important medical issues.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

To be clear to the people who first replied, my desire for making WA "right to carry" doesn't stem from my dislike for carrying around a CPL - it has everything to do with the fact that the US constitution says we have this right, and we don't need a permit or need to be licensed to exercise a right that we already have.

I don't know how much it would affect our cause if a legislator actually listened and prepared a vote only to get it shot down. But I still think it's worthwhile to at least try.

sure seems like a defeatist attitude going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by emtechnik View Post
    To be clear to the people who first replied, my desire for making WA "right to carry" doesn't stem from my dislike for carrying around a CPL - it has everything to do with the fact that the US constitution says we have this right, and we don't need a permit or need to be licensed to exercise a right that we already have.

I don't know how much it would affect our cause if a legislator actually listened and prepared a vote only to get it shot down. But I still think it's worthwhile to at least try.

You are right it couldn't hurt to try, but would be way better if we can get some momentum and support behind it. Unfortunately you will find many so called "pro-gun" people and organizations that might not support this movement.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    You are right it couldn't hurt to try, but would be way better if we can get some momentum and support behind it. Unfortunately you will find many so called "pro-gun" people and organizations that might not support this movement.
    +1

I don't think it's a defeatist attitude, just a realist. There are times for great victories like Heller & McDonald, and there are times for baby steps, like the proposed bills here legalizing "silencers" and carry under 21.

Quote Originally Posted by emtechnik View Post

How have your representatives responded on this issue? Am I seeing right that you are in District 5? If so, all three are Republican and I would think would be a bit more open to this idea.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    I would be so screwed today! It's extremely rare for this to happen, but I left my wallet at home. I really think that the fact I don't have my CPL ON me should not be a problem. Especially if I could just give them my name and they would be able to find out with their computer thinghy that I'm legal. If they afforded us the rights that are supposed to be guaranteed by the Constitution, it wouldn't be an issue.
    Let's think about your incident for a minute. You told them who you were and they DEMANDED ID saying they didn't believe you / know you while intimidating you with 4 officers to do so. You were compelled to give it though were not legally compelled to do so just for simply OC. do you feel they would've TAKEN it if you didn't comply with their unlawful order?
    Last edited by Deleted_User; 01-16-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Paraphrased...

Or variations thereof.

You may well be talking (asking) the wrong folks....I am sure that there must be a gun friendly legislator that would be willing to sponsor a bill on behalf of his constituents. Certainly as contentious an issue this would be for any number of groups to weigh in on in public meetings, it is the only process available for us to make a change happen. Asking liberal legislators if they think this is a good idea, isn't how to go about it.

If there is a "grass roots" effort to push this idea forward, it will take a lot of effort. You find a sponsor in the house, see if he can get a few folks to sign on (best to get both D and R's to present as a non-partisan proposal), a companion bill will have to be raised in the Senate and, in both houses it will go through at least two committee's before going to the Rules Committee in both houses to be called up for a vote. You don't need everyone on board, just a majority....

The intiative will take a minimum of 3-5 years to accomplish if well organized....It needs a champion and sheep(le) herder and I am not sure that this can be done amongst a group like us on this board.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Right now I think the Legislature will be using their time to figure out how to make 5 Billions dollars magically appear without further P!$$!ing off the voters. If they're thinking raising taxes, they have the hurdle of the "2/3 majority vote and possibly a vote of the people, even to raise fees.

They have their "goodies" in a vise this time around and their focus is on money. Might not be a bad time to toss some "crumbs on the water" and see who rises to the "bait" but don't look for much else this session but "hand wringing" on how the budget will be hurting Police, Fire, Elderly, Disabled, School Children, Poor, etc.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

How have your representatives responded on this issue? Am I seeing right that you are in District 5? If so, all three are Republican and I would think would be a bit more open to this idea.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx
    I haven't had the opportunity to spend the time in front of the computer yet to write a well thought out and compelling message yet. I should have time tomorrow, and you can be sure that I'll copy/paste their response ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Let's think about your incident for a minute. You told them who you were and they DEMANDED ID saying they didn't believe you / know you while intimidating you with 4 officers to do so. You were compelled to give it though were not legally compelled to do so just for simply OC. do you feel they would've TAKEN it if you didn't comply with their unlawful order?
    Did we get a copy of the Police reports? On Tom's incident? Wonder how they compare to the recordings......hehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Did we get a copy of the Police reports? On Tom's incident? Wonder how they compare to the recordings......hehehehe
    Yes, Someone did an FOIA request but it wasn't posted to the forum. It is around though
    Last edited by Deleted_User; 01-16-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast