• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's make Washington a "right to carry" state!

emtechnik

I am sick of having to have my CPL on me at all times while CCing. This is especially true when I go trail running and need to carry due to bears and cougars in the area. I just recently started OCing as much as I can but I still need my CPL at times, such as when I go into Costco :) It's much more of an issue than "just keep it in your wallet and you'll be fine." remember the women whose wallets aren't stuck on their butt pockets and want to carry without holding their purse/wallet just in order to CC.

The state needs to get out of the business of CPL holders and allow us to exercise the right that God - not the Feds or the state - gave us. Washington is already a relatively gun-friendly state. We are "allowed" to OC and CC without consequence, and we currently don't have any ridiculous bans on magazine capacity. Like Vermont, Alaska and Arizona, we can too become a right to carry state, especially with our newly conservative congress. I am contacting Mark Hargrove, the representative in my area, and I think that with enough badgering, it will if nothing else be put to a vote. Who's with me?

Last edited:

massivedesign

I have a woman friend who had the same issue of you (were to put that pesky CPL). she sewed a pouch and attached it to the back of her IWB holster. The CPL slides in there and she cannot feel a thing.

How often have you had to show your CPL?? Having it easily accessible isn't a requirement, just has to be on you.

The downside to her setup is that if you need to show the CPL, you have to remove the holster / firearm etc.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Since there is not much play here, I will state of obvious first, while enjoying an outdoor activity I feel your runs would be included into the following RCW as a lawful outdoor recreational activity.
RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Secondly how is carrying ID for driving, credit or debit cards for purchases any less cumbersome then carrying your CPL?

Thirdly carrying ID is a good thing especially when outdoors running where unfortunately bad things can and do happen, thus why you carry. Something occurs and you are unable to tell them who you are, ID could save your life by finding out medical information quickly as possible.

If it is on this issue of being with out identification or CPL is ridiculous, if you do not want to show ID to an Officer when requested, then tell them that.

Ruby

I don't have a problem with carrying my CPL. It stays in my wallet behind my driver's license, that way I always know where it it. I have never had to show it, but I carry it just in case. It's not a problem for me. In the warmer months when I am engaged in outdoor activities, I have a fanny pack that has a holster in it for my gun. It also holds my wallet, keys, etc. I personally don't have problem with it since I have to carry my driver's license, car registration, insurance card. What's one more piece of ID? Besides, I agree with Dave; if I am injured to the point of being unconscious, I want them to know who I am, my blood type, etc. Sometimes I think some people on this forum carry this "no ID" thing too far.

Metalhead47

I don't have a problem with carrying my CPL. It stays in my wallet behind my driver's license, that way I always know where it it. I have never had to show it, but I carry it just in case. It's not a problem for me. In the warmer months when I am engaged in outdoor activities, I have a fanny pack that has a holster in it for my gun. It also holds my wallet, keys, etc. I personally don't have problem with it since I have to carry my driver's license, car registration, insurance card. What's one more piece of ID? Besides, I agree with Dave; if I am injured to the point of being unconscious, I want them to know who I am, my blood type, etc. Sometimes I think some people on this forum carry this "no ID" thing too far.

I think the "no ID" crowd on here is more opposed to the fact that they feel they are being compelled or coerced by LE, etc, to be required to carry/present ID; rather than being opposed to carrying ID in principal.

TO the OP: while I agree with you in principal, I don't think we're going to be seeing constitutional carry in WA any time soon, not as long as Olympia is blue as... um... something really blue.

Deleted_User

I think the "no ID" crowd on here is more opposed to the fact that they feel they are being compelled or coerced by LE, etc, to be required to carry/present ID; rather than being opposed to carrying ID in principal.

TO the OP: while I agree with you in principal, I don't think we're going to be seeing constitutional carry in WA any time soon, not as long as Olympia is blue as... um... something really blue.

I just won't be cuffed and have my ID taken, even when I tell them NO! It's not like an LEO will listen to your rights when they are "right."

To the OP: Agree with BigDave on .060.

My CPL is in my car, and hardly ever leaves it

Metalhead47

I just won't be cuffed and have my ID taken, even when I tell them NO! It's not like an LEO will listen to your rights when they are "right."

To the OP: Agree with BigDave on .060.

My CPL is in my car, and hardly ever leaves it

Right... so if police never asked for ID without a justified reason and never had, would you generally carry your licence with you as a matter of safety/convenience?

Deleted_User

Right... so if police never asked for ID without a justified reason and never had, would you generally carry your licence with you as a matter of safety/convenience?

I'd have no issue with carrying ID. I do carry a cell phone with tons of information inside of it ... heh. But no, I only carry sterile due to illegal search and seizure that should never happen to get my ID and "run me" for no reason other than I OC.

FMCDH

<SNIP>

Unfortunately, I have agree. While I would LOVE to see "Constitutional Carry" become law of the land in Washington, I don't see it happening with the legislature and the Governors seat both being controlled by the Dems.

I have queried all of my representatives (all liberals :cry:) on this topic at-least once a year (normally near elections) and have been given pretty much the same canned response by each, every time.

Paraphrased...
"While I appreciate your input, I do not see a compelling reason to make such a drastic change to our states gun laws at this time, as the current system appears to be working well enough, and it goes much further to keeping guns out of the hands of those who should not have access to them then the open system you propose. Thank you for your input on these and other matters....blah...blah...blah..."

Or variations thereof.

Anyone get a more favorable response from their reps?

sudden valley gunner

I would hope it would happen doubt it will anytime soon.

But yes I am opposed to a "show me your papers" state. I.D. or CPL whether you are carrying or not. So I carry sterile.

oneeyeross

...I want them to know who I am, my blood type, etc. ...

Just as an aside: No physician, blood bank or lab would take your word for what your blood type is, even in an emergency. They will always test it, and will retest it every three days when doing cross matches. (A human can develop an antibody in 72 hours).

The consequences of making a mistake are too great to ever rely on what a patient says. Even in the military, where our blood type was on my dog tags, we would always retest before doing a cross match...

Metalhead47

Unfortunately, I have agree. While I would LOVE to see "Constitutional Carry" become law of the land in Washington, I don't see it happening with the legislature and the Governors seat both being controlled by the Dems.

I have queried all of my representatives (all liberals :cry:) on this topic at-least once a year (normally near elections) and have been given pretty much the same canned response by each, every time.

Paraphrased...
"While I appreciate your input, I do not see a compelling reason to make such a drastic change to our states gun laws at this time, as the current system appears to be working well enough, and it goes much further to keeping guns out of the hands of those who should not have access to them then the open system you propose. Thank you for your input on these and other matters....blah...blah...blah..."

Or variations thereof.

Anyone get a more favorable response from their reps?

+1. We'd be much more likely to see Montana, Idaho, & maybe Utah go that route (an Axis of Constitutionality!) before there's any real momentum here. And with the crap that just went down in AZ, I think this might be a year of fighting to just maintain our rights here in WA.

tombrewster421

I would be so screwed today! It's extremely rare for this to happen, but I left my wallet at home. I really think that the fact I don't have my CPL ON me should not be a problem. Especially if I could just give them my name and they would be able to find out with their computer thinghy that I'm legal. If they afforded us the rights that are supposed to be guaranteed by the Constitution, it wouldn't be an issue.

Lovenox

Just as an aside: No physician, blood bank or lab would take your word for what your blood type is, even in an emergency. They will always test it, and will retest it every three days when doing cross matches. (A human can develop an antibody in 72 hours).

The consequences of making a mistake are too great to ever rely on what a patient says. Even in the military, where our blood type was on my dog tags, we would always retest before doing a cross match...

I am a WM6 and concur that its SOP to test and retest. Never take the patients word on it.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

This is just one issue being addressed, with identification other family members could be found to find medical history that could be pertinent to their immediate care let along notification in an emergency.
Blood type is only one issue of many, how about being diabetic, heart trouble, or other important medical issues.

emtechnik

To be clear to the people who first replied, my desire for making WA "right to carry" doesn't stem from my dislike for carrying around a CPL - it has everything to do with the fact that the US constitution says we have this right, and we don't need a permit or need to be licensed to exercise a right that we already have.

I don't know how much it would affect our cause if a legislator actually listened and prepared a vote only to get it shot down. But I still think it's worthwhile to at least try.

sure seems like a defeatist attitude going on here. :(

sudden valley gunner

To be clear to the people who first replied, my desire for making WA "right to carry" doesn't stem from my dislike for carrying around a CPL - it has everything to do with the fact that the US constitution says we have this right, and we don't need a permit or need to be licensed to exercise a right that we already have.

I don't know how much it would affect our cause if a legislator actually listened and prepared a vote only to get it shot down. But I still think it's worthwhile to at least try.

You are right it couldn't hurt to try, but would be way better if we can get some momentum and support behind it. Unfortunately you will find many so called "pro-gun" people and organizations that might not support this movement.

Metalhead47

You are right it couldn't hurt to try, but would be way better if we can get some momentum and support behind it. Unfortunately you will find many so called "pro-gun" people and organizations that might not support this movement.

+1

I don't think it's a defeatist attitude, just a realist. There are times for great victories like Heller & McDonald, and there are times for baby steps, like the proposed bills here legalizing "silencers" and carry under 21.

FMCDH

How have your representatives responded on this issue? Am I seeing right that you are in District 5? If so, all three are Republican and I would think would be a bit more open to this idea.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

Deleted_User

I would be so screwed today! It's extremely rare for this to happen, but I left my wallet at home. I really think that the fact I don't have my CPL ON me should not be a problem. Especially if I could just give them my name and they would be able to find out with their computer thinghy that I'm legal. If they afforded us the rights that are supposed to be guaranteed by the Constitution, it wouldn't be an issue.

Let's think about your incident for a minute. You told them who you were and they DEMANDED ID saying they didn't believe you / know you while intimidating you with 4 officers to do so. You were compelled to give it though were not legally compelled to do so just for simply OC. do you feel they would've TAKEN it if you didn't comply with their unlawful order?

Last edited: