• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Henrico school board member expresses fear of violence

Repeater

Security concerns aired at Henrico board meeting

A Henrico School Board member this week raised concerns about security during board meetings and sparked a lively discussion about implementing some security improvements in the near future.

Given recent violent events at public gatherings and toward public officials, Diana D. Winston of the Three Chopt District said at Thursday's work session that she fears for her safety.

"In light of recent events in this country ... I have very serious security concerns," Winston said. "We are obviously sitting out here wide open. We do have police presence at our seven o'clock meeting. We don't have it here during our work sessions."

She highlighted the case in Panama City, Fla., last month when a gunman entered a school board meeting and opened fire. His shots didn't injure anyone, and the man killed himself after being wounded by a security guard.

Winston raised the security issue during a board discussion about a future meeting place. The school board is expected to be out of the Glen Echo Building on Nine Mile Road before summer.

Winston's concerns now may play in the board's decision of where to meet during the estimated three years it will take to plan, design and build a new facility.

Brookland District member Linda L. McBride said the board should keep its presence in eastern Henrico.

"If security is our concern, [the boardroom] is not a school facility, therefore anyone may come in with a weapon in hand as they do all the time at the board of supervisors meeting," she said. "Yes they are scanned, people know that they have the weapons, but they do sit there with their gun strapped on them and I have seen them many, many times.

"Just be aware that the metal detectors will not keep somebody from coming in with a gun," she said.

Winston said regardless of who is on the board is or where the future board meets, those at a public meeting should feel safe.

diana-d-winston

[size=+1]Henrico School Board member Diana D. Winston wants to feel safe![/size]

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A quote from the movie "The Gun in Betty Lou's Handbag".

She almost killed me in the bathroom.:lol:

curtiswr

OR

Buy a gun!:cool:

All jokes aside, I really get tired of the silliness these people come up with.

Caught me before I simplified my post!

Yeah, it does get tiring reading this stupid ...stuff... time after time. Now's there time to really let it all out though I guess. Back when the news was reporting on shark attacks it was their time to decry and lambast families that let their children go in the water. Now they get to feel important by saying stupid stuff still about something else that's in the news.

tkd2006

Sounds like someone looking for their 15 minutes of fame. Either that or she wants armed security so she will
feel important. I guess she could then tell her friends "yes i can come to the book reading club but make room for my
security gurd."

riverrat10k

Mrs. Winston:
1) Do you keep yourself in top physical shape in order to maximize your ability to defend yourself?
2) Have you undertaken any armed or unarmed self-defense training in order to maximize your ability to defend yourself?
3) Do you think you have a greater right to self-defense than I do just because you hold elected office?
4) Do you truly believe that the world can be made "safe" by legislation?
5) Do you believe that, as a public official in an office you chose to run for, the public has a duty to pay for your protection?
6) Do you want to live in an armored box?
7) Do you and your family already live in an armored box?

Last edited:

Repeater

Michael Paul Williams has an opinion

Dream of nonviolence threatened

So it has come to this.

A Henrico County School Board member says she fears for her safety at meetings. “In light of recent events in this country…I have very serious security concerns,” said Diana Winston, citing a man who held the Panama City, Fla., school board at gunpoint before killing himself.

Yes, Winston, who represents the Three Chopt district, favors moving board meetings from eastern Henrico to the West End of the county. But the Panama City incident last month and the Jan. 8 shooting of U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and 18 others in Tucson, Ariz., provide ample reason for public officials to be concerned, wherever they are.

Are we devolving into a society where school board members discuss building projects, student-teacher ratios and budgets from behind bulletproof glass as if they’re selling fast food in a crime-ridden neighborhood?

Is this the nation we want to live in?

The Martin Luther King Jr. holiday should be a time to commemorate his life and legacy and contemplate his message of nonviolence, racial and economic justice, and universal brotherhood. But MLK Day in Richmond appears largely to have become a referendum on guns.

Armed activists gathered near the Bell Tower at the State Capitol to push for the relaxation of Virginia’s already-lenient gun laws. People who advocate stricter gun laws held a vigil for peace and remembrance of those hurt by gun violence.

The voices at the pro-gun rallies tend to be strident; the mood at the vigil tends to be somber. But people at both ends of this spectrum are brothers and sisters in fear.

Fear, at the end of the day, is what leads some people to feel compelled to strap on a sidearm as they go about their everyday business. It scars the survivors of the Virginia Tech massacre. It leads school board officials to publicly ponder the merits of ducking behind a wooden credenza or curtain if gunfire breaks out.

That we should accept these options as the new normal is insane. But acceptance seems to be the course we’ve set. Even common-sense solutions to prevent the mentally ill from obtaining guns struggle to gain traction in this polarized environment.

Samuel K. Roberts, a professor of theology and ethics, teaches a course on King at Union Presbyterian Seminary. During an online chat Monday on TimesDispatch.com, he noted that reports about the alleged Tucson shooter, Jared Lee Loughner, suggest a man more mentally deranged than political.

“As far as I know, Dr. King took no positions on gun control or the debate about protection of gun rights inherent in the 2nd Amendment,” Roberts said. But “he was always unequivocally against the use of violence to settle human disputes. Good gun control laws ought to ferret out people with known mental instability.”

When local elected officials express fear of violence in the discharge of their duties, we have reached an alarming tipping point. We’re in dire need of a rational conversation, beyond the shouting that has come to define political discourse.

King once asked: Where do we go from here, chaos or community? A society governed by fear and polarization is the opposite of community.

Pro-gun Virginians are strident?

Self-protection is fear?

Open-Carry as the new normal is insane?

Repeater

Richmond City Council considers reinstalling metal detectors

More FEAR mongering:

Richmond-area public officials ponder need for tighter security

A Richmond City Council member wants to consider reinstalling metal detectors at City Hall in the wake of recent shooting incidents involving a congresswoman in Arizona and a school board in Florida.

"Right now, the way some people's emotions are, maybe we need them," said Councilwoman Reva M. Trammell, who has discussed the matter with Police Chief Bryan T. Norwood.

Henrico County Sheriff Michael L. Wade said scanning people before meetings of the board of supervisors helps to deter crime and to identify who is carrying a weapon without infringing on Second Amendment rights to keep and bear arms.

"If something happens and someone jumps out with a gun, you want to know who they are," he said.

Robert A. Gardner, a security consultant based in Santa Paula, Calif., said metal detectors outside public meeting rooms should be considered, but he cautioned that public officials cannot be fully protected.

"If someone is willing to die to commit the assassination, it's almost impossible to stop them," he said.

The heightened concerns come as Richmond's costs of providing police protection for the mayor have increased by 4 percent, from $333,633 in 2009 to $345,568 in 2010, according to the police department.

Although police officers are present at council meetings, Council President Kathy C. Graziano noted that official duties extend well beyond City Hall.

"If you look at what happened in the Arizona case, the people who were killed weren't public officials," she said. "They were just there. How can you protect yourself from someone who is emotionally unbalanced? I think it's difficult."

wylde007

So?

Install metal detectors. By Commonwealth statute they cannot prohibit lawful carry of any kind.

If they know who everyone carrying a firearm is does that protect them?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So?

Install metal detectors. By Commonwealth statute they cannot prohibit lawful carry of any kind.

President Kathy:
Officer, do you know who is armed?

Police: I think the fellow wearing the 44 magnum has a gun!:lol:

Repeater

Perks for Privileges

The heightened concerns come as Richmond's costs of providing police protection for the mayor have increased by 4 percent, from $333,633 in 2009 to $345,568 in 2010, according to the police department.

Your city tax dollars at work.

vt357

So?

The metal detectors aren't so they can know who is armed. It's to intimidate the average citizen into thinking that they can't legally be armed at the meeting. When a citizen carries they'll make statements like "no illegal guns allowed." While technically that is correct, it has the effect of making people think that all guns at that location are illegal.

Tax dollars at work indeed.

wylde007

When a citizen carries they'll make statements like "no illegal guns allowed." While technically that is correct, it has the effect of making people think that all guns at that location are illegal.
It forces the rest of us to stand up to it and cite the law.

Even in that instance they could refuse us entry and force the issue to court - something I bet that a few years ago they would have been willing to gamble on.

Now we know the rules. Their police-state tactics do not deter us from exercising our rights nor standing up for justice and truth.

Repeater

It forces the rest of us to stand up to it and cite the law.

Even in that instance they could refuse us entry and force the issue to court - something I bet that a few years ago they would have been willing to gamble on.

Now we know the rules. Their police-state tactics do not deter us from exercising our rights nor standing up for justice and truth.

I sense a pattern -- the sovereign seems to respect the Rule of Law more than the politicians do.