Thread: Is SC considering Constitutional Carry?

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Is SC considering Constitutional Carry?

sweet

State Researcher

Re: Is SC considering Constitutional Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Yes.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Believe it when I see it here in good ole S.C. Legislative processes here in this state lag behind our neighbors. Good old SC politics will shoot this down. I may be eating crow on this one, but it is hard to see us get it. I my self a SC CWP holder who exercises my open carry rights in Ga less than 30 minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by bed92186 View Post
    Believe it when I see it here in good ole S.C. Legislative processes here in this state lag behind our neighbors. Good old SC politics will shoot this down. I may be eating crow on this one, but it is hard to see us get it. I my self a SC CWP holder who exercises my open carry rights in Ga less than 30 minutes away.

The key is somebody either convincing Bobby Harrell, or handing him a duffel bag full of cash.

Ok..so what does Constitutional Carry mean exactly? I have heard from alot of others that Open Carry is getting looked at again. Is this the same thing?

Knowing SC they will make it for residents only, or something equally useless for people who aren't already capable of carrying in SC.

But, if SC actually manages to go from being one of the most restrictive states to one of the least, good on them.

One thing we all can do is flood our reps and senators with e mails,letters and phone calls. Please every one get on the wagon and do this. I just finished e mail rep Loftis and sen Fair and I have others that wiil do this, Lets go!!!! tx, frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hef View Post
    The key is somebody either convincing Bobby Harrell, or handing him a duffel bag full of cash.
    Yes, I did not hear of him until recently. None of what I heard impressed me at all. A friend of mine heavily involved in politics gave me the facts on him. FACTS that is. Some of which makes me nauseated with disgust of what goes on with state politics. I am a life long resident of this state with deep family roots. Through fault of my own, but my eyes are now opening.

Just letting you guys and gals know that some of us in Iowa are watching this. I have family in North Carolina and when I visit it typically means trips into South Carolina for hunting, shopping, or sight seeing. I do not like the idea of traveling so far from home while disarmed. My permits allow me to be armed in my travels in all states in that direction except Illinois (which I will drive around sometimes) and South Carolina. If this passes it will be one down, one to go.

If this passes it will also mean a better chance for our own constitutional carry law passing. Good luck.

From Nebraska

As a former Charlestonian, still one at heart, I am hoping for at least reciprocity with Nebraska so I can carry when I go back home.
    Many states are coming around these days so there is much hope around to share!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelMaker View Post
    Ok..so what does Constitutional Carry mean exactly? I have heard from alot of others that Open Carry is getting looked at again. Is this the same thing?
    Constitutional Carry = OC or CC w/o permit.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

According to another thread the constitutional carry law would only apply to residents. The other states that SC reciprocates with would still remain the same the way I read it. I live in Ga. and have to place my gun in my glove box every time I cross the Savannah river. It stinks. I hope I'm wrong and SC recognizes my Ga. permit. Here's hoping...
    Last edited by ET.; 03-30-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    Soldiers are dying for our freedom. The least we can do is vote.

Quote Originally Posted by ET. View Post
    According to another thread the constitutional carry law would only apply to residents. The other states that SC reciprocates with would still remain the same the way I read it. I live in Ga. and have to place my gun in my glove box every time I cross the Savannah river. It stinks. I hope I'm wrong and SC recognizes my Ga. permit. Here's hoping...
    It is all according to which of the BS ******* Contest participants you want to believe. Now the State Paper did have an article today suggesting that it is not dead but if not is it on a respirator and life support. Things started out looking good then emotions took over and it all went to hell-in-a-handbasket in a very short time so unless cooler heads prevail I don't look for any action for a while on this possibility.

It's not likely to pass, and even if it does, the part restricting it to SC residents only won't stand up in court.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    SNIP... if it does, the part restricting it to SC residents only won't stand up in court.
    This is true.

It's not likely to pass, and even if it does, the part restricting it to SC residents only won't stand up in court.
    That was my first thought when I read that part of the proposed amendment to the original bill. Then it became apparent that the ones who wrote it did not understand what they had proposed and were totally ignorant of what that clause actually meant. Sadly too many bills make it through in such fashion that those writing bills and those voting on them have no idea of what it actually says or means. Before this could be brought to the attention of the sub-committee and given a chance to change it, in which it would have been changed, the whole deal was shouted down in a publicity grabbing attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    Just letting you guys and gals know that some of us in Iowa are watching this. I have family in North Carolina and when I visit it typically means trips into South Carolina for hunting, shopping, or sight seeing. I do not like the idea of traveling so far from home while disarmed. My permits allow me to be armed in my travels in all states in that direction except Illinois (which I will drive around sometimes) and South Carolina. If this passes it will be one down, one to go.

If this passes it will also mean a better chance for our own constitutional carry law passing. Good luck.

while you're in SC you can store it in your glove box

Let's hope the same is true in WY.

How so?

That, like the federal bill of rights uses the term "of the people" not of the citizen or even of the resident... That should apply to everyone in the state lawfully, even foreign citizens.
    Last edited by mekender; 04-26-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    while you're in SC you can store it in your glove box.
    I realize that. That's only helpful if I stay in my vehicle. Sure would be nice to have the ability to carry a pistol while hiking in the woods, or going out to eat. SC recognition of permits is very narrow, I have three permits to carry weapons and none of them are valid in that state.

I might be driving through SC this summer. I don't plan on getting out of my truck unless the law changes. Nothing against SC specifically, I do the same to Illinois since they don't recognize my right to self defense either.

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    I realize that. That's only helpful if I stay in my vehicle. Sure would be nice to have the ability to carry a pistol while hiking in the woods, or going out to eat. SC recognition of permits is very narrow, I have three permits to carry weapons and none of them are valid in that state.

I might be driving through SC this summer. I don't plan on getting out of my truck unless the law changes. Nothing against SC specifically, I do the same to Illinois since they don't recognize my right to self defense either.
    Yeah, the glovebox is next to useless. And the exemption for travel directly to and from your car doesn't help much.

in SC do you need a permit to keep it in your glove box?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyboy View Post
    in SC do you need a permit to keep it in your glove box?
    No permit is needed to keep a handgun in your glovebox. Mag or no mag, chambered or not, it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by carsontech; 05-09-2011 at 07:59 AM.