• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm in vehicle in employer parking lot?

rcknrbn

Hey guys, just found this website, really enjoy reading the topics.

Just completed my annual Code of Conduct thru my employer. Seems as though they have updated it to read that not only are firearms not allowed in any of their buildings (which I'm fine with), but it specifically states firearms are not allowed on their premisies to include parking areas. This isn't a gated or secured parking lot. It is open and accessible to the public. Can they legally do that?

I've done some research but can't find an answer. Don't get me wrong - I understand my employer's concerns. However, what about my rights when I'm driving to or from their property? Good jobs are too hard too find and I don't plan on being an example. Any specific legislation in MS on this topic?

Thoughts?

robbyw

Hey guys, just found this website, really enjoy reading the topics.

Just completed my annual Code of Conduct thru my employer. Seems as though they have updated it to read that not only are firearms not allowed in any of their buildings (which I'm fine with), but it specifically states firearms are not allowed on their premisies to include parking areas. This isn't a gated or secured parking lot. It is open and accessible to the public. Can they legally do that?

I've done some research but can't find an answer. Don't get me wrong - I understand my employer's concerns. However, what about my rights when I'm driving to or from their property? Good jobs are too hard too find and I don't plan on being an example. Any specific legislation in MS on this topic?

Thoughts?

How can they leagley search your car to see if you carry a gun or not? They coud not tell if it was not in sight

lambertronald

Consider this....

I am new to Mississippi, and just came from Virginia. So this is new to me, cause i have to wait to get the CCW Permit to Open Carry.

As far as your employer is concerned, i think that what you need to consider, is that you may own your vehicle and it's contents, if they own the property in which your property will be parked on then they may be able to regulate what would be allowed and not allowed on it within reason.

Personally, like you said, if they don't have a gated security parking where you would be parking, why would you even want to bring your weapon with you? If you can't bring it into the building anyway, then you are leaving yourself open to potential robery, and then perhaps your weapon being used in a crime..... Just something to think about.

Thanks,

Ronald

Q-Tip

MS Code; 45-9-55. Employer not permitted to prohibit transportation or storage of firearms on employer property; exceptions; certain immunity for employer.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2) of this section, a public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting a person from transporting or storing a firearm in a locked vehicle in any parking lot, parking garage, or other designated parking area.

(2) A private employer may prohibit an employee from transporting or storing a firearm in a vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees to which access is restricted or limited through the use of a gate, security station or other means of restricting or limiting general public access onto the property.

If it's not a secured parking lot, it seems like your employer's policy is not enforceable, and is not legal. IANAL.

rcknrbn

MS law

MS Code; 45-9-55. Employer not permitted to prohibit transportation or storage of firearms on employer property; exceptions; certain immunity for employer.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2) of this section, a public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting a person from transporting or storing a firearm in a locked vehicle in any parking lot, parking garage, or other designated parking area.

(2) A private employer may prohibit an employee from transporting or storing a firearm in a vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees to which access is restricted or limited through the use of a gate, security station or other means of restricting or limiting general public access onto the property.

If it's not a secured parking lot, it seems like your employer's policy is not enforceable, and is not legal. IANAL.

Thank Q-Tip, that's the MS code that I was looking for. I knew I had read it somewhere.