• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Took the new 700 to the range today

()pen(arry

I bought a Remington 700 XCR in .270 Winchester (and a Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-9x50 scope) a few weeks ago and took it to the range today for the first time. Holy fun, Batman. I'd shot a few rounds from an old .22 with iron sights when I was a kid, but otherwise this was my first time firing a rifle. The range master was really nice and gave me some help getting the scope sighted in for 100 yards. In my first five or six shots, I put two, consecutive rounds through the same hole. The range master must have been over sixty, but he gave me a fist bump. It was way cool :D I'm hoping to spend an hour or two at the range every other week, or so. This could become my favorite hobby very quickly.

Now I have to figure out a place to clean the rifle (my wife would kill me if I did it in the kitchen, and I'm not sure I want to clean it in plain view on my balcony), and buy a spotting scope.

VW_Factor

Why not in the kitchen? My wife and I will clean up our guns in the living room on the coffee table (its garage sale third hard, service duty) while watchin TV or something.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hey, you live in Texas, not California. You may not be able to open carry, but would you be really be faulted for open cleaning?

In Cali, you'd be held at gunpoint, if not shot outright without any confrontation, like that pour soul was in Orange County who was sitting on the back porch of his friend's house wielding a garden hose.

In Texas, the worst that's likely to happen if a neighbor freaked out is that you'd receive a knock on you door, they would say they're responding because they received a call, you'd tell them you were cleaning it outside because it stinks up the apartment if you do it inside.

To the best of my knowledge, you can still open carry on your property in Texas, and your balcony is considered your property.

True?

Last edited: