Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many are active here in Mississippi? Answer Up:)

How many are active here in Mississippi? Answer Up:)

I just moved to Mississippi and learning all of the laws and what not that are going on here in Ol Miss. I was in the US Navy for 9 years and recently was honorably discharged and moved here for a job. Just looking to see who all on this forum is active in the open Carry movement here and would like to join the movement in place already if there is an active group already.

Thanks,

Ronald

I'm a frequent reader of this forum

I have a Concealed weapons permit here in Greenville, MS. I carry 24x7 unless at work on Federal military base. I don't open carry since my holster is not a retention type and I don't want a gun grab. I'd also prefer to have surprise on my side if I need my weapon, so i leave my shirt untucked.

I carried for many years openly in the Military and am comfortable with it. My concealed carry isn't much concealed anyway. Shirt lifts up when you reach for stuff or sit down. Holster is the style on outside of pants which sticks out anyway. I'm aware I can leave in plain view in Mississippi since I do have a permit. ( the holster meets the regulations as still being concealed ) ( no I don't need a lecture from those who want to point out MS is an open carry state, there is enough info on the subject elsewhere on this awesome forum )

I retire from Military with 30 yrs on NOV 2011 and plan on buying a Goldwing GL-1800 to tool around on. I'll be out and about more often after I retire.

Welcome to Mississippi,

Chap

I OC at all times legal. I'm not an MS resident but I visit the coast oft enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    I OC at all times legal. I'm not an MS resident but I visit the coast oft enough.
    I ether oc or cc 24/7 on the coast in the Gulfport area. I have not had any problems yet.

Here's the roll call list.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...i-OC-Roll-Call

Chap, as long as you carry, It don't matter how you do it.

I don't carry nearly as much as I did in Virginia. Mainly it's due to the murky MS laws (OC = CC)--I'm usually traveling to/from places where carry is banned (a military base, church, the post office, etc.) so I'm pretty limited. When I do carry, it's a mix of CC or OC depending on my mood, my clothing, and the location. Unfortunately, my Virgina permit is not recognized by Alabama, so I don't carry there (even though I could as long as I was on foot--it's not worth the hassle).
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

AL does have reciprocity with MS!

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    I don't open carry since my holster is not a retention type and I don't want a gun grab.
    I think the chances of this are so low that you need not let it influence your decision making process at all.

We have a thread talking about this type of misconceptions running right now.........

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh......-NEED-FACTS
    What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is so hard to understand ???

James: Ain't this a little showy, Pa? I mean with the guns out an' all?

Big Jake: James, don't be fooled. They all know what's in this box, and they all want it. what we're doin' with this audacious DISplay is tellin' 'em they can't have it. Who knows, we may be savin' some poor miscreant soul's life this way.

www.dixieleather.com - www.dixiepreparedness.org

Shell out 30 bucks and get yourself a Serpa CQC level 2 holster.
    Last edited by DCKilla; 02-07-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    I am a Mississippi resident...born and raised here.

I conceal carry a handgun everywhere I legally can with my Firearms Permit.

I will open carry in Mississippi if the laws ever become clear enough on that subject. As it stands now, folks are getting arrested when open carrying.
    Were they charged with 97-37-1? I have never heard of that statute being used against an OCer. I have heard of DC and disturbing the peace charges being used.

I open carry 95% of the time. Had 2 officers demand that I cover my gun. Other than that it's been smooth sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1978 View Post
    I open carry 95% of the time. Had 2 officers demand that I cover my gun. Other than that it's been smooth sailing.
    Hope the officers dealt with you in a respectful manner.

Hope the officers dealt with you in a respectful manner.
    One was respectful. The other was a young punk with an attitude.

I OC every day only here in north MS and only been messed with twice. I have the endorsement aswell so I OC at the park when I take the kids and the dog. Haven't done it in church yet though...

Quote Originally Posted by thearmysredneck View Post
    I OC every day only here in north MS and only been messed with twice. I have the endorsement aswell so I OC at the park when I take the kids and the dog. Haven't done it in church yet though...
    It is against Mississippi law to bring a concealed weapon into a house of worship. I would surmise that it would be equally against the law to openly carry a firearm into a house of worship.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

It is against Mississippi law to bring a concealed weapon into a house of worship. I would surmise that it would be equally against the law to openly carry a firearm into a house of worship.
    BY all means... "surmise"...

Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    BY all means... "surmise"...

Well, let me put it another way:

"Common sense would dictate that it would also be against Mississippi law to openly carry a handgun into a house of worship, seeing as how it is against the law to bring a concealed handgun into a house of worship."
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 11-07-2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: edited to change font color to conform with forum standards

"Common sense would dictate that it would also be against Mississippi law to openly carry a handgun into a house of worship, seeing as how it is against the law to bring a concealed handgun into a house of worship."
    But is there an actual law against OCing in a church? I don't have the weapons laws in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure that the prohibition against CC in a church specifically addresses only concealed carry under a state CC permit (MS Firearms Permit, if you want to be precise).

Common sense?? Common sense would dictate that if someone would like to know what the law is, then they would READ the LAW and not make unsubstantiated assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Common sense?? Common sense would dictate that if someone would like to know what the law is, then they would READ the LAW and not make unsubstantiated assumptions.

Cha-ching! Chalk up another "zinger" for Mr. Jetson.
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 11-07-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: edited to change font color to conform to forum standards

wrong. There is no law prohibiting arms in a house of worship because it is beyond the constitutionally limited powers of MS to regulate the carrying of arms other than those which are concealed.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Not quite. Concealed carry is now allowed in churches and most other places with the new training endorsement per HB 506. See state statute 97-37-7.
    As for OC in churches, no such law exists; therefore, it is not prohibited.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Common sense doth prevail still.

If there is no law against it, then it is legal. That is the ultimate common sense test. Anything else is a faulty assumption.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I'd think common sense would say not to try and hide your gun from your god.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Cha-ching! Chalk up another "zinger" for Mr. Jetson.
    I'm sorry... you expected more? Your assumption was stupid. If you want to ask a question, then ask it... otherwise quit you mealy mouthing...

This is a forum for those interested in personal responsibility... one of the most important personal responsibilities being self defense. If you want to be useful here, then quit being lazy and do some actual homework.

I predict you have no intention of being useful. Please prove me wrong....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast