• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many are active here in Mississippi? Answer Up:)

lambertronald

I just moved to Mississippi and learning all of the laws and what not that are going on here in Ol Miss. I was in the US Navy for 9 years and recently was honorably discharged and moved here for a job. Just looking to see who all on this forum is active in the open Carry movement here and would like to join the movement in place already if there is an active group already.

Thanks,

Ronald

Chap

I'm a frequent reader of this forum

I have a Concealed weapons permit here in Greenville, MS. I carry 24x7 unless at work on Federal military base. I don't open carry since my holster is not a retention type and I don't want a gun grab. I'd also prefer to have surprise on my side if I need my weapon, so i leave my shirt untucked. :D

I carried for many years openly in the Military and am comfortable with it. My concealed carry isn't much concealed anyway. Shirt lifts up when you reach for stuff or sit down. Holster is the style on outside of pants which sticks out anyway. I'm aware I can leave in plain view in Mississippi since I do have a permit. ( the holster meets the regulations as still being concealed ) ( no I don't need a lecture from those who want to point out MS is an open carry state, there is enough info on the subject elsewhere on this awesome forum )

I retire from Military with 30 yrs on NOV 2011 and plan on buying a Goldwing GL-1800 to tool around on. I'll be out and about more often after I retire.

Welcome to Mississippi,

Chap

Daylen

I OC at all times legal. I'm not an MS resident but I visit the coast oft enough.

Eeyore

I don't carry nearly as much as I did in Virginia. Mainly it's due to the murky MS laws (OC = CC)--I'm usually traveling to/from places where carry is banned (a military base, church, the post office, etc.) so I'm pretty limited. When I do carry, it's a mix of CC or OC depending on my mood, my clothing, and the location. Unfortunately, my Virgina permit is not recognized by Alabama, so I don't carry there (even though I could as long as I was on foot--it's not worth the hassle).

MedicineMan

bigun220

I am a Mississippi resident...born and raised here.

I conceal carry a handgun everywhere I legally can with my Firearms Permit.

I will open carry in Mississippi if the laws ever become clear enough on that subject. As it stands now, folks are getting arrested when open carrying.

Were they charged with 97-37-1? I have never heard of that statute being used against an OCer. I have heard of DC and disturbing the peace charges being used.

mjd1978

I open carry 95% of the time. Had 2 officers demand that I cover my gun. Other than that it's been smooth sailing.

thearmysredneck

I OC every day only here in north MS and only been messed with twice. I have the endorsement aswell so I OC at the park when I take the kids and the dog. Haven't done it in church yet though...

MilProGuy

I OC every day only here in north MS and only been messed with twice. I have the endorsement aswell so I OC at the park when I take the kids and the dog. Haven't done it in church yet though...

It is against Mississippi law to bring a concealed weapon into a house of worship. I would surmise that it would be equally against the law to openly carry a firearm into a house of worship.

MilProGuy

BY all means... "surmise"...

Well, let me put it another way:

"Common sense would dictate that it would also be against Mississippi law to openly carry a handgun into a house of worship, seeing as how it is against the law to bring a concealed handgun into a house of worship."

Last edited:

4angrybadgers

"Common sense would dictate that it would also be against Mississippi law to openly carry a handgun into a house of worship, seeing as how it is against the law to bring a concealed handgun into a house of worship."
But is there an actual law against OCing in a church? I don't have the weapons laws in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure that the prohibition against CC in a church specifically addresses only concealed carry under a state CC permit (MS Firearms Permit, if you want to be precise).

georg jetson

Common sense?? Common sense would dictate that if someone would like to know what the law is, then they would READ the LAW and not make unsubstantiated assumptions.

MilProGuy

Common sense?? Common sense would dictate that if someone would like to know what the law is, then they would READ the LAW and not make unsubstantiated assumptions.

Cha-ching! Chalk up another "zinger" for Mr. Jetson. :monkey:banana:

Last edited: