• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

im really thinking about open carrying my pistol instead of gettin a ccw permit

estcrh

. LA has no such issue, so a CHP isn't useful when someone is OCing (until the moment he/she decides to cover up).
Why dont you "cite" the regulation that backs up your statement? Where is your proof that a concealed permit is not "useful" when open carrying?

My advice was not to you, it was to the person who originally started the post, why dont you just post your advice if your so knowledgeable on the subject and the person who started the post can decide which way to go. Having several different view points never hurts. If you think that you can open carry with no identification and then not comply with a request by a law enforcement official for identification then be my guest and see what happens, on the other hand if I believe a law enforcement official has violated my rights I will hire an attorney to handle the problem in an appropriate manner.

You people that have so much big talk about how your not going to "kowtow" do exactly the same thing everyone else does when a law enforcement officer confronts you...you do what you are asked to do, you know it and I know it so dont pretend your some kind of superhero freedom fighter. If you want to mislead someone into thinking that they can run around with an unconcealed weapon and no identification and that they can refuse to follow a request from a law enforcement officer then go right ahead, I wont try to stop you.

4angrybadgers

I do not believe that you are actually required to have your weapon concealed when you have a concealed carry permit, if someone can state any part of the regulation that says that you have to have your weapon concealed then post it so we can all see, as per my personal discussions with the D.A.s office in New Orleans I was told that legally you do not have to conceal, I could be wrong and would be glad to admit it if anyone can post any part of the regulation that specifically says that.
Correct, there is no requirement to conceal merely because you possess a CHP.

Why dont you "cite" the regulation that backs up your statement? Where is your proof that a concealed permit is not "useful" when open carrying?
Um, it's the lack of any regulation containing requirements for a CHP to OC that is the basis for my claim. You know, the whole "if there's no law against it, then it's not illegal" line of logic that most of the legal system operates on.

First off, it's a Concealed Handgun Permit. See RS 40:1379.3 if you have any doubts as to what it applies to. Tell me where that applies to an unconcealed (i.e. openly carried) firearm.

My advice was not to you, it was to the person who originally started the post, why dont you just post your advice if your so knowledgeable on the subject and the person who started the post can decide which way to go. Having several different view points never hurts. If you think that you can open carry with no identification and then not comply with a request by a law enforcement official for identification then be my guest and see what happens, on the other hand if I believe a law enforcement official has violated my rights I will hire an attorney to handle the problem in an appropriate manner.
So you can present one of those "several different view points", but I can't? I've got a revelation for you: this is an Internet forum, open for all to participate in (subject to the owners' rules, of course). That means that if you post an opinion, put on your big boy panties and be prepared for some criticism and questions about your statement(s). If you can't take the heat, well... it sucks to be you.

And yes, I know I can OC with no identification, because unless there is a law requiring me to present physical ID when detained, I am not required to do so. Open Carry is not a licensed activity, unlike driving a motor vehicle. Are you required to carry an ID while taking an (unarmed) walk up your street? Why would adding another non-licensed activity (OC) be any different? If you find a law that states I must carry and present ID at any request by an LEO, then please post the reference.

Third, you're leaving out something critical in your statement about LEO requests/orders. We most definitely must comply with lawful orders. But unlawful orders, by their very nature of being unlawful, have zero force of law!

You people that have so much big talk about how your not going to "kowtow" do exactly the same thing everyone else does when a law enforcement officer confronts you...you do what you are asked to do, you know it and I know it so dont pretend your some kind of superhero freedom fighter. If you want to mislead someone into thinking that they can run around with an unconcealed weapon and no identification and that they can refuse to follow a request from a law enforcement officer then go right ahead, I wont try to stop you.
I'm SO glad you can tell me everything about myself. I'd be lost without a mind-reader like you. :rolleyes:

If an officer detains me and issues an unlawful request/order, then I will not consent. I will state "I do not consent, but I will not resist." See how that works? I'm not resisting (so any charges of resisting won't stick), and I will be quite polite, but I do not consent, so everyone is quite clear on the fact that it is an illegal order and it leaves no doubt when I follow up with a lawsuit over the violation of my rights. There are several threads already on this topic that cover it with more detail in the main sections of OCDO, so I won't belabor the point. But you need to realize that there are indeed methods of handling an LEO encounter somewhere in between aggressive resistance and meek submission.

Last edited:

georg jetson

Say it again

We've been through this already, but I don't feel like searching for the old thread...

Art 1 sec 11 of La Const protects OCing...

RS 14:95.6 B(5) of the La's GFSZ law states...
B. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:
(5) Any constitutionally protected activity within the firearm-free zone, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

The La legislature CANNOT and did not attempt to include OCing in the LA GFSZ law.

However, the fed GFSZ law (look it up yourself) makes an exception for a permit... thus an OCwer needs a CC permit to POSSESS a firearm.. and there is NO requirement to have said permit on the person.

CC law is irrelevant for OCing in La...

So in order to OC in a GFSZ in La one MUST (for now) have been given a CC permit to comply with fed law.

estcrh

However, the fed GFSZ law (look it up yourself) makes an exception for a permit... thus an OCwer needs a CC permit to POSSESS a firearm.. and there is NO requirement to have said permit on the person.

CC law is irrelevant for OCing in La...

So in order to OC in a GFSZ in La one MUST (for now) have been given a CC permit to comply with fed law.
And if you do not have your permit on you in a gun free zone and you are stopped by a law enforcement officer. what happens George? You will be ARRESTED...duhh

estcrh

Correct, there is no requirement to conceal merely because you possess a CHP.

Im glad you understand that. Like I said, if you think you are gong to be the one to decide if an officer is giving you a legal order or not then be my guest and if you want to give someone your advice then go right ahead, just do not comment on my advice...which is what you did, instead of just telling the original poster your opinion and letting him decide what he will do. If you do not want me commenting on your way of doing things them dont comment on mine. Its that simple.

My advice for anyone open carrying is to #1. have a concealed permit on you. #2 have identification on you #3 have the receipt for your gun on you.

Thats my advice.....so whats the big deal. If you do not personally agree with me to bad, I am not talking to you, I am talking to the person who originally posted his thoughts on the subject here, and yes it is a public forum and you may if you wish say anything you want but do not act so shocked when you get your own actions thrown back at you. Just because you can do something does not mean you should do it.

-David

Now I remember why I don't post much on this forum. :banghead:

frodo70444: In response to your question about OCing in Tangipahoa Parish, I personally don't think you would encounter many problems if you don't come across as a jackhole. Join us over on the LOCAL forum at laopencarry.org , we have some folks in your area (including me - I'm right on the St. Tammany/Tangi line) who I'm sure wouldn't mind joining you on your first open carry if you decide to do it. We also have monthly meetings where you can meet up with a bunch of us.

A CHP is not required for open carry. ID is not required for open carry. The receipt for your gun is not required for open carry. A note from your mother is not required for open carry.

georg jetson

And if you do not have your permit on you in a gun free zone and you are stopped by a law enforcement officer. what happens George? You will be ARRESTED...duhh

That is pure speculation based on your experience... or not... Has this actually happened to you? Did you get arrested?

if in fact officers of the NOPD do arrest you, then the arrest IS false and you make them pay. Simple.

4angrybadgers

Im glad you understand that. Like I said, if you think you are gong to be the one to decide if an officer is giving you a legal order or not then be my guest and if you want to give someone your advice then go right ahead, just do not comment on my advice...which is what you did, instead of just telling the original poster your opinion and letting him decide what he will do. If you do not want me commenting on your way of doing things them dont comment on mine. Its that simple.

My advice for anyone open carrying is to #1. have a concealed permit on you. #2 have identification on you #3 have the receipt for your gun on you.

Thats my advice.....so whats the big deal. If you do not personally agree with me to bad, I am not talking to you, I am talking to the person who originally posted his thoughts on the subject here, and yes it is a public forum and you may if you wish say anything you want but do not act so shocked when you get your own actions thrown back at you. Just because you can do something does not mean you should do it.
Please do comment on my advice, just as I will comment on yours, regardless of how you feel about it. Once again, this is a forum for discussion. You're the only one getting butt-hurt about replies and requests for laws/cases to back up your statements. If you have a factual basis for refuting what I say, then go for it. I'm open to new information.

Now I remember why I don't post much on this forum. :banghead:
I understand, but please don't let the trolls and touchy-obstinate arguers keep you away. Every sane voice helps drown out the static. :)

A CHP is not required for open carry. ID is not required for open carry. The receipt for your gun is not required for open carry. A note from your mother is not required for open carry.
Aw shucks, I knew I missed something... :lol:

Last edited:

estcrh

i live in tangipahoa parish what kind of response can i exspect from police? im 23 own guns legaly never been in trouble and im just really thinking about open carry instead of concealed carry for a few reason one right now my only reliable weapon i own that i could carry si to big to conceal im a small guy and my p85 is rather large but id hate to make more hassel for myself just to feel better when i leave the house anybody from tangipahoa parish got any open carry exsperience? and pleas eexscuse my bad spellin and lack of things such as .,! things like that cause i get long winded and my brain runs at about 1143 feet per second so lets hear what you fine people have to say
Frodo, you have a lot of different opinions on your post, its your decision. There are a lot of "internet warriors" here on this site, they have no problem offering advise that may not be accurate and they do not always follow their own advise because they want to spend the night at home instead of in JAIL, you will have to make the final choice. Carrying a firearm with you were you go whether open or concealed can have serious consequences.

turbodog

I still think Estcrh is right in saying that having a CC permit, even if you choose to OC, is a useful thing. It gives you options you otherwise wouldn't have (legally anyway) in regards to carry and, I believe, can help in encounters with LEO.

I say that because I believe that, in presenting a permit, you are demonstrating to an officer that, yes, you have had at least SOME training in safe handling of a firearm, have done the whole background check, fingerprinting business, so it's known you've been through some kind of process that vets you as a sane, non criminal citizen. I'd like to believe this gives some reassurance to LEO and might temper their attitude. Again, I say might. No guarantees on how a LEO will act in any situation.

This idea depends, of course, on ones own idea of how to interact with LEO who stop you. Long experience with LEO has led me to conclude you WILL NOT win on the street if the LEO decides that you won't. And your attitude at the stop may be the tip-over factor in that decision. The arrest may be BS but you'll still spend the time/money/inconvenience of going through it and any legal actions afterward.

There are those who simpley declare "This is a right!" and make a point of cooperating as little as possible with LEO, since they feel that ANY contact with police is an unlawful infringement. Do some people get away with it? Certainly. The forums are full of people who "stand up" to the cops and walk away. Others don't fare nearly as well. As they say, Your Mileage May Vary. Myself, I don't think it's worth the hassle, so when the po-po man "says can I see some ID?" and "do you have a permit?" I got no problem presenting said items to the man. As a cop friend of mine told me once "I may think it's a BS stop, but if I've been called, I have to check it out and the smoother that goes, the quicker we're all on our way". Like him, I prefer things go smooth and quick and if having a permit aids that, I'm fer it.

sraacke

This reminds me of my million dollar idea of designing a line of holsters which incorporate a sleeve which will display your State issue CHP/Handgun Carry License. Then when someone sees your pistol in its holster they will also see your laminated photo ID which tells the world that you are "licensed" to have that gun and are, in fact, one of the good guys.
I'm gonna be rich. Get your orders in early.

DrakeXD

This reminds me of my million dollar idea of designing a line of holsters which incorporate a sleeve which will display your State issue CHP/Handgun Carry License. Then when someone sees your pistol in its holster they will also see your laminated photo ID which tells the world that you are "licensed" to have that gun and are, in fact, one of the good guys.
I'm gonna be rich. Get your orders in early.

LOL, you better get a patent on that quick! Cause the words out now. :p