• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Only read this because you should...

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I have never been in the military. I show my appreciation by buying the meals of all military and police when I eat out. I simply tell my wait person that I want the tickets of any police or military that I see in the place. Once at our local Tex-Mex place there were 12 military in the restauraut. They were staying at the Holiday Inn next door while training at Camp Swift. My wife thought I was nuts. The bill was over $200. The waitress ratted me out after I told her not to tell who it was. I had to endure trying to explain to each one, as they came over to thank me, that it was I that owed them the thanks. Once I was getting my hair cut and there were 2 from Camp Swift getting ready to leave and I motioned to the cashier that I was going to pay for their haircuts and she ratted me out as well. Dang women. So much for anonymous.

I can personally vouch for RB having that sort of character, and it's people like him that make serving the empire a humbling experience. We can always complain about the pay. I'm sure there's CEO's with 9 figure salaries that could "use a little more". I don't think it's too bad of a living myself. I didn't get into any gunfights, never had anyone shoot directly at me, never got blown up. I went out on MSR Tampa and ASR Jackson more than a lot of guys always expecting the worst, always going home gritty at the worst.

I've seen guys come back from missions with bloody clothes, their 1114's blown all too hell, and go back out the next day in a different one. They didn't complain, they just did their jobs. I've also seen bed wetting oxygen thieves who never passed the wire get disability because they heard a loud noise, or sprained their eyes. It's thanks to these parasites who whined all the way through the deployment and whined their way into the system that there is such an insane buearucracy that can arbitrarily deny compensation for those who need it.

When I went throught reverse SRP it seeed like they wanted me to claim SOMETHING, any sort of ache or pain. I just wanted to go home, because I knew they wouldn't give me anything without some string attached.

nonameisgood

Someone said that we should have compulsory service. But, as of 2010:
There are 26 million 18-23 year old in the US.
There are also 26 million people living who are or have ever served in the US Military.

Active duty US Armed Forces population is 1.4 million.

To have compulsory service would mean that we would have 10-13 million new people serving every 2 years. People we would need to screen, train and equip, deploy, and demobilize every two years.

The military budget would increase 10 fold and we would have a less well-prepared military.
--
Hats off to all who serve. The rest of us are making sure this country continues to run so you can return to the lives you want to live.
But nothing excuses us for not living up to the promise of making sure battle injuries are healed and you have the same opportunities the rest of us have.

frommycolddeadhands

I think we sould be like Germany and have a mandatory two year serve in the military.

Then people would know what it’s been like to searve and whats it’s like to live after searving.

I hope we never go to compulsory service. I'm Active Duty right now, and to be honest I don't WANT a bunch of liberal jackasses, potheads, or slackers who don't want to be here f*cking up my unit. There are a lot of good people in the military right now, and there are also a bunch of slackers, and a few game players who just want to play games and get rank. The last thing I want is to muddy the waters any further with these McDonalds rejects and half assers just to prove a point.

Let em bitch and moan about the military. Mean time we've got a job to do.

And to all of the vets out there, thank you, truly, for your service and your sacrifice.

Gunslinger

My CO once asked me "Why are you here?"
" To protect my country sir."
"No it's too big, you can't carry the world, find something smaller, something that just screams America to you."
After a moment I replied, " I love to go to high school baseball games on saturdays in spring, a hot dog with mustard, cold beer, and the sun on my face watching a game."

That's what I fought for, the little things we take for granted. Not the politicians, or the bankers. I fought for baseball games and kids having a safe place to play.

In Vietnam we fought for our country. We fought for freedom. But in the end, we fought for each other. A quote that never ages: "To our country. May she always be right, but our country right or wrong."

NRAMARINE

I hope we never go to compulsory service. I'm Active Duty right now, and to be honest I don't WANT a bunch of liberal jackasses, potheads, or slackers who don't want to be here f*cking up my unit. There are a lot of good people in the military right now, and there are also a bunch of slackers, and a few game players who just want to play games and get rank. The last thing I want is to muddy the waters any further with these McDonalds rejects and half assers just to prove a point.

Let em bitch and moan about the military. Mean time we've got a job to do.

And to all of the vets out there, thank you, truly, for your service and your sacrifice.

Well put sir.

NRAMARINE

In Vietnam we fought for our country. We fought for freedom. But in the end, we fought for each other. A quote that never ages: "To our country. May she always be right, but our country right or wrong."

Amen. I guess that's what I was trying to say. You have to remember, I was 20 when this conversation happened, and that was many many moons ago. I would also like to add that you and your fellow Vietnam veterans got a raw deal and a bad rap. You put your lives on the line in the worst pit on earth and returned to a bunch of worthless hippies ( who are all in Washington now) degrading you for things they had no comprehension of. On behalf of myself and family, I apologize for that type of behavior you had to endure, and assure you, those left behind are not, nor ever will be forgotten.

Devilinbp

Someone said that we should have compulsory service. But, as of 2010:
There are 26 million 18-23 year old in the US.
There are also 26 million people living who are or have ever served in the US Military.

Active duty US Armed Forces population is 1.4 million.

To have compulsory service would mean that we would have 10-13 million new people serving every 2 years. People we would need to screen, train and equip, deploy, and demobilize every two years.

The military budget would increase 10 fold and we would have a less well-prepared military.
--
Hats off to all who serve. The rest of us are making sure this country continues to run so you can return to the lives you want to live.
But nothing excuses us for not living up to the promise of making sure battle injuries are healed and you have the same opportunities the rest of us have.

I will second the "well put sir" comment here. I would not want to serve again with people who had not volunteered to be there.

Devilinbp

I have never been in the military. I show my appreciation by buying the meals of all military and police when I eat out. I simply tell my wait person that I want the tickets of any police or military that I see in the place. Once at our local Tex-Mex place there were 12 military in the restauraut. They were staying at the Holiday Inn next door while training at Camp Swift. My wife thought I was nuts. The bill was over $200. The waitress ratted me out after I told her not to tell who it was. I had to endure trying to explain to each one, as they came over to thank me, that it was I that owed them the thanks. Once I was getting my hair cut and there were 2 from Camp Swift getting ready to leave and I motioned to the cashier that I was going to pay for their haircuts and she ratted me out as well. Dang women. So much for anonymous.

My hat is off to you sir, you "get it" and appreciate what it takes to serve. The little things you do to say "thank-you" mean more than you know. I say that with my eyes a little misty just thinking about it. Damn those onions. ;)

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm an 80% disabled veteran and thank God everyday that I have a job. I don't walk well, but my mind is still good or as good as it was before my injuries. I hope every veteran who wants to work can find what they want. We gave parts of ourselves so that every American can legally own the handgun of choice. So, if you have a job opening, try a VET!

Some of us are disabled via physical injuries. I think a great many more of us suffer from more undefinable injuries. Some stem from TBIs(blast/impact), while others involve emotional/trauma involving situations which far exceeded what we expected at the time.

Whatever any of you might think, I'm not here to repair the issue. I've simply been there, done that. And yes, I've experience one or more issues I mentioned above

The point is, these issues will never, ever die.

We live. On.

And forevermore, we will not only live on, but we will ride on, fly on, and post on.

Thundar (something or other - I thought they were intrusive in DC), whatever.

I think we all have the same purpose, in the end: The appropriate end of tyranny in the US which might desire to waste human resources in obtainment of their goals.

Man, am I raising a few gates with that statement, but...

We live on, we ride on.

25sierraman

My CO once asked me "Why are you here?"
" To protect my country sir."
"No it's too big, you can't carry the world, find something smaller, something that just screams America to you."
After a moment I replied, " I love to go to high school baseball games on saturdays in spring, a hot dog with mustard, cold beer, and the sun on my face watching a game."

That's what I fought for, the little things we take for granted. Not the politicians, or the bankers. I fought for baseball games and kids having a safe place to play.

I Serve because my mother was born in Korea in 1953. Every day she reminded me of how good I had it here in the US growing up. Every meal she reminded me of how she never knew when her next one was coming. Every time i got dressed in the morning, to go to the school she was never able to attend, she told me about her one pair of clothes she had at my age. I don't think the US is perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it damn sure is better than anything else out there and I'd do just about anything to make sure that when I have kids some day that they'll get the same great experiences and opportunities that I've had. It's always great to have someone say thank you or buy a meal (thats really nice actually :) ) but i still love what i do even when i get the Dirty looks in the airport and have people call me a killer (yea it still happens). Thanks to all of you guys who served before me and ensured that someday I would get a chance to serve as well. Especially those Korean War vets. If they didn't do what they did I would not be here right now.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Honestly?

I could claim I served for God and country, but that would be a lie. I think. I don't really know WHY I served. It just seemed like the thing to do. Of course, I come from a family with a long, proud history of military service on both sides of the family. From myself, two brothers, a sister and at least two cousins going back to the Revolution. As a matter of fact, if my great aunt's genealogy was right, Thomas Jefferson was my many times great uncle. i have my doubts, but I would like for it to be true. I would also like to think that if it WAS rue that he'd be proud of me..

NRAMARINE

I could claim I served for God and country, but that would be a lie. I think. I don't really know WHY I served. It just seemed like the thing to do. Of course, I come from a family with a long, proud history of military service on both sides of the family. From myself, two brothers, a sister and at least two cousins going back to the Revolution. As a matter of fact, if my great aunt's genealogy was right, Thomas Jefferson was my many times great uncle. i have my doubts, but I would like for it to be true. I would also like to think that if it WAS rue that he'd be proud of me..

You just had a gut instinct telling you to do what you believed was right it seems. That's as good a reason as any.