• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Legislators expected to expand gun rights by spring

johnny amish

Nice job Nik and Hubert.

One thing did trouble me about this article. The second to last paragraph says Gov. Walker indicated the he expects to sign a bill by spring similar to the one Doyle vetoed, which required permits.

Now more than ever we need to be in constant contact with our lawmakers to remind them we are here and paying attention. Remind them NO PERMITS, no vehicle restrictions, no permits and no permits.

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/article_ef7364ca-2129-11e0-8adc-001cc4c002e0.html

protias

Resent my letter to my rep.

Mr. Zipperer,

Congratulations on your decisive victory in the 98th District, my district. In addition, congratulations on having a new Republican Governor who can now help with some much needed reforms.

I voted both for you and Governor Walker.

I am writing you to urge you to pursue and support legislation that will bring Wisconsin gun laws into agreement with our Constitution and the will of the people.

1. Repeal Wisconsin Statute 941.23, the concealed carry law. This particular law was passed in the 1800's and has been shown to be in violation of Wisconsin's Article 1, Section 25 of the Constitution, which was passed in 1998. There have been several recent rulings to support this. Judge Jon Counsel, the Circuit Judge in Clark County has ruled it unconstitutional. District Attorney Fox has issued a memo declaring it is unenforceable in Jackson County. http://www.wisconsinappeals.net/wp-c...0/Schultz1.pdf

http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/dis...%20Chicago.pdf

2. Repeal 167.31, vehicle carry of a loaded firearm.

3. Repeal 941.235, firearms in public buildings

4. Repeal 941.237, firearms where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption

5. Repeal 941.24, prohibition of switch blades.

Items 2-5 have been deemed unconstitutional in the Jackson County DA's memo as outlined above.

The effect of these changes would be to legalize unlicensed carry of defensive weapons by law-abiding Wisconsin citizens. Of course, as you know, the Wisconsin Republican platform was changed this year to support unlicensed open and concealed carry.

The tsunami that is the Republican takeover in Wisconsin happened because we the people are tired of being taxed and regulated to death. To implement a licensed concealed carry system would require the expense of additional staff both at the state and county level for administration as well as onerous fees for licensing and mandatory training.

AK, AZ and VT have no licensing and training requirement for both open and concealed carry and there have not been any negative results. UT is also considering doing this in 2011 as well.

Here are some additional points which speak for themselves:
  • Governor Walker has already gone on record as willing to sign a simple repeal of 941.23
  • 74% of the residents of this state in a STATEWIDE referendum in 1998 voted the right to carry (article 1 sec 25) into our state constitution, so carry of defensive weapons is a VERY popular political position.
  • 48 states allow concealed carry
  • It is already legal for law-abiding citizens to carry openly in Wisconsin with no permit and no training and 1000's are doing so safely every day. Public safety would not be affected by these people putting on a jacket when it's cold and concealing their weapon.
  • 29 other states allow residents to carry without a permit.
  • Other states allow all law-abiding citizens to carry in the manner of their choosing without any permit (VT, Alaska, and now AZ)
  • The TREND is moving towards more and more states allowing law abiding residents to carry in the manner of their choosing with no permit and no mandatory training.
  • A permit system will fly in the face of smaller government by requiring more government employees/resources to administer a permit system, yet the permit system will be ignored by criminals.
  • A permit fee would be a tax on our Constitutional right to carry that would be a hardship on low-income residents who deserve the same right to self-defense as anyone else.
  • Future anti-rights legislatures could easily raise permit fee's through a simple budget bill to exorbitant levels to effectively stifle the right to carry concealed. History shows us that legislatures change and rights once secured are put on the chopping block. PLEASE protect the law-abiding citizens of Wisconsin as best as you can by NOT leaving a trap-door for future less freedom-minded legislatures to use to deny the right to carry.
  • Recent US Supreme Court decisions have found the right to carry to be a FUNDAMENTAL right. Being a fundamental right, law abiding citizens should not have to register with the government to exercise that right.
In closing, I would just point out that this initiative would match up perfectly with your stated goals of,

• Limiting the size and scope of government
  • Simplifying regulatory and tax policy
  • Putting people first
Thank you very much for your consideration in this matter,

<me>

M

McX

got a bad feeling..........................see you guys in the permit application line. Then they'll start dropping the hammer on Open Carry, cause you got your permit, you dont need Open Carry.

protias

got a bad feeling..........................see you guys in the permit application line. Then they'll start dropping the hammer on Open Carry, cause you got your permit, you dont need Open Carry.

You and your feelings! :p

M

McX

if anyone is in need of a permit, it's you and that damn horn of yours! every time you blast it, stuff rattles in the shop, dust falls from the rafters, and you can legitimately hear it echo 3 times around the area. Permit to honk- pay me $65 plus training (get it training?! har-har).

Max

The permit trainers.

"Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, D-Alma, said she might support a bill that included "a strong training component." To that end, she met this week with firearm safety trainers from Minnesota."

I wonder who they might be and what their agenda is? As if we didn't know.

protias

if anyone is in need of a permit, it's you and that damn horn of yours! every time you blast it, stuff rattles in the shop, dust falls from the rafters, and you can legitimately hear it echo 3 times around the area. Permit to honk- pay me $65 plus training (get it training?! har-har).

2902748386_772197259b.jpg

protias

Mind if I use the main body of your letter to send to my rep?
Go right ahead. I stole it from someone else. I think it was phred.

protias

I'll be honest here. It wasn't mine. After reading yours, I thought, "I should have said it that way". My next one will look more like yours. Great job, Protias
It wasn't mine. I know I took it from someone else. That letter is the exact letter I sent my rep before he took office. I am just gently reminding him I have not forgotten.

johnny amish

We must remind all the lawmakers that we have not forgotten. We must remind them the republican platform was changed to no permits required. Some how we have to get it throught their heads that permits should not be the norm or the next step for Wisconsin.

pachanga22

I sent a copy to my rep and my senator.
Waiting on the response. Have already talked to rep about it and not to worried about him, Dan Knodl. It is my senator, Alberta Darling I am worried about. She seems to like to talk about a permit.

Just will continue to keep on them both to make sure they do not forget what I think!

Scott

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Pass it on....

It wasn't mine. I know I took it from someone else....
That's the letter I copied, modified, and sent to my newly elected representative Amy Loudenbeck. The last part
In closing, I would just point out that this initiative would match up perfectly with your stated goals of,

* Limiting the size and scope of government
* Simplifying regulatory and tax policy
* Putting people first
referred to her campaign platform.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Some fine tuning

I also resent my letter to my representatives, Amy Loudenbeck and Tim Cullen, but added item #3:
  1. Repeal Wisconsin Statute 941.23, the concealed carry law. This particular law was passed in the 1800's and has been shown to be in violation of Wisconsin's Article 1, Section 25 of the Constitution, which was passed in 1998. There have been several recent rulings to support this. Judge Jon Counsel, the Circuit Judge in Clark County has ruled it unconstitutional. District Attorney Fox has issued a memo declaring it is unenforceable in Jackson County. http://www.wisconsinappeals.net/wp-c...0/Schultz1.pdfhttp://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/dis...%20Chicago.pdf
  2. Repeal 167.31, vehicle carry of a loaded firearm.
  3. Modify 939.22(10) to exclude an unloaded firearm as a dangerous weapon.
  4. Repeal 941.235, firearms in public buildings
  5. Repeal 941.237, firearms where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption
  6. Repeal 941.24, prohibition of switch blades.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I do not like a permit system, I do not want a permit system. This is bad.

I agree with you. For everyone here...the only thing walker said months ago was he would sign a Permitted Carry bill, so if we all want Constitutional carry then it is up to us to make it happen. If Walker signs a Permit bill then we did not do our job. Can't Blame Walker, he is the end result.

Last edited: