• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Legislators expected to expand gun rights by spring

Captain Nemo

Letter to legislators

Copy of letter to my legislators. I don't really care what you think of it but it expresses my opinions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email is longer than it should be but it concerns a subject that I feel is of great importance. I would be honored if you would take some of your valuable time to read it.

This legislative session will no doubt see legislation introduced involving the carry of firearms by law-abiding citizens. The legislation introduced may range from a highly restrictive law similar to the personal protection acts of early 2000 to recognition of the constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms for personal defense. A right as contained in Article I section 25 of our state constitution “The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose”. A right that is short and simple and without any ambiguity.

On July 15 2003 the Wisconsin Supreme Court (WSC) issued two rulings in regards to the carry of concealed firearms, one the case of State v Hamdan and the other the case of State v Cole. The gist of those decisions were that the people of Wisconsin do indeed have the right to keep and bear arms for the purposes listed in the constitution. However, the Court ruled that because statute 941.23 (Nobody except a peace officer may go armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon) existed prior to the enactment of Art I sect 25 it was presumed to be constitutional and that it is a restriction of the manner by which a firearm is carried and not an infringement on the right to keep and bear arms itself. (Note: the WSC did not rule that the carry of a concealed weapon per se was unconstitutional, only that statute 941.23 which restricted the manner of carry was constitutional).

In other words the Court ruled that the statute was not an infringement on the state constitution because it did not restrict carry of a firearm but only the manner by which a firearm may be carried. The WSC ruled that the restriction on the manner of carry is not an infringement on the right to keep and bear arms because there is an alternate manner available. That alternate being open carry. Open carry with no required permitting system or mandated training just a clear criminal record and evidence that the person exercising the right is law-abiding.

Since those 2003 rulings the constitutional right of open carry has been affirmed by the WSC, lower courts and on April 20, 2009 by the state attorney general. It is clear that the courts do not see the carry of concealed firearms for personal protection as being outside the scope of the constitution but see statute 941.23 as a legacy restriction of the manner by which a firearm is carried. The supposed conflict of manner of carry does not exist in Art I sec 25. The amendment is manner of carry neutral. The conflict exists only by court decision. Decision that can be corrected by the legislature. In the coming months there will likely be a number of proposals presented to the legislature to address that conflict. The proposals will likely range from a highly restrictive permitting system to recognition of the fundamental constitutional right given by Art I sec 25.

A number of states are reviewing and/or changing their firearm laws in recognition of the fundamental constitutional right to keep and bear arms provided by their state constitutions, states such as AK, VT, AZ, SC, TN, MT and TX. Wisconsin should be next.

A legislative law that would recognize the fundamental right of constitutional carry in Wisconsin would be preferred but the solution may be more simple than the drawn out process of bill passage, that is, rescind statute 941.23, or at a minimum modify it. It could be modified to read “Subject to the exceptions below concealed carry of firearms by other than a peace officer is allowed“. Certain exceptions could be inserted such as -- except for felons and those judged mentally incompetent, guilty of substance abuse, alcoholic, registered sexual predators or convicted of felonious crimes of domestic abuse.

Finally: The aftermath of the horrible shootings in Arizona will surely bring out cries of more gun control from the anti-gun factions. Anti-gun advocates that will morbidly try to use the incident to further their agenda. Rest assured that those shootings are abhorred no stronger than from the gun enthusiasts in the country. Gun enthusiasts that would not resist any reasonable restrictions that can be proven to have prevented the atrocious act from happening. The shootings serve up a warning. A warning that the world is unfortunately becoming more violent and fractious. The need for personal protection is becoming a fact of society. One may ask where was law enforcement in Tucson when the tragedy occurred? The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that law enforcement has no obligation to provide for individual protection. It only has the responsibility to provide protection for the public as a whole. That ruling applies to members of state legislatures as well as the general public. Because local law enforcement has no mandated responsibility to provide individual protection many legislators nationwide are or are considering carrying firearms so that they may provide for their own personal protection. Protection that should also apply to private citizens. Now is the time to review the impact and the precise words of Art I section 25 of the Wisconsin constitutional and recognize that every law-abiding citizen of Wisconsin has a fundamental right to provide for their own personal protection.

Last edited:

CUOfficer

I can't believe that article actually made the front page of the La Crosse Tribune. People are definetly talking about it now. If training and a permit system are imposed on us, will the training for the Minnesotta permit suffice? Anyone have an opinion?

paul@paul-fisher.com

It wasn't mine. I know I took it from someone else. That letter is the exact letter I sent my rep before he took office. I am just gently reminding him I have not forgotten.

It looks like mine.

Please send your donations for the copyright to...... Wisconsin Carry Inc..!!:banana:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I can't believe that article actually made the front page of the La Crosse Tribune. People are definetly talking about it now. If training and a permit system are imposed on us, will the training for the Minnesotta permit suffice? Anyone have an opinion?

That won't be know until the Bill is introduced. Once it is I am sure myself or someone will post a link here.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I prefer to use the PC term "firearm" rather than "gun." Although handling and cleaning them is fun, mine are used for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

Anyone else notice that security and defense are listed before hunting in Article 1, Section 25?

Last edited:

johnny amish

The Minnesota permit would suck. Every 5 years you are required to take the certification class over and pay full price for the class and lose a full day of your time.

tletourneau

The Minnesota permit would suck. Every 5 years you are required to take the certification class over and pay full price for the class and lose a full day of your time.

Just a note, several MN instructors charge less for renewal certification and the renewal fee also costs less.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

JJC

Just a note, several MN instructors charge less for renewal certification and the renewal fee also costs less.

I'm a Minnesota instructor and will offer renewal certification classes for time and cost. It's what I offer to my existing clients.

JJC

WD57

I'm a Minnesota instructor and will offer renewal certification classes for time and cost. It's what I offer to my existing clients.

JJC

Do you have to apply to the county sheriff again and pay another $100 also? :cry:

Last edited:

tletourneau

You do have to recertify and renew the permit with the county sheriff every five years. I think that the renewal fee is limited to $75 by statute. Is it ideal, no, but it is FAR better than what we had before the PPA was passed.

Edited for clarity.

WD57

You do have to recertify and renew the permit with the county sheriff every five years. I think that the renewal fee is limited to $75 by statute. Is it ideal, no, but it is FAR better than what we had before the PPA was passed.

Edited for clarity.

I took a MN/Utah class in MN a few years ago. I did not even apply for the MN permit, the Utah permit covered MN anyway and alot more states. $59 for permit, $5 for renewal after 5 years, no class. I hope the WI permit system is not as expensive as MN.

protias

I took a MN/Utah class in MN a few years ago. I did not even apply for the MN permit, the Utah permit covered MN anyway and alot more states. $59 for permit, $5 for renewal after 5 years, no class. I hope the WI permit system is not as expensive as MN.
We don't need permits!

hardballer

People, Find a back bone, please.

Permitted carry is not a right. It is a permission. At the whim of your legislature. Can't pay the tax in order to carry? Fine, Jail, loss of gun... Do you understand now?

Further, the wheel turns and it may be a conservative government today but it was not yesterday and it may not be tomorrow. Want to see your 'fee' go from a 'reasonable' figure (no such thing) to astronomical? Easiest way to curtail gun carry. Just put it out of reach of the average guy.

Do you understand now?

One last thing, Some of us don't want to wait till we're dead to enjoy the right to carry as it was meant to be.

No, I am not a conspiracy theorist, just a student of history.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
People, Find a back bone, please.

Permitted carry is not a right. It is a permission. At the whim of your legislature. Can't pay the tax in order to carry? Fine, Jail, loss of gun... Do you understand now?

Further, the wheel turns and it may be a conservative government today but it was not yesterday and it may not be tomorrow. Want to see your 'fee' go from a 'reasonable' figure (no such thing) to astronomical? Easiest way to curtail gun carry. Just put it out of reach of the average guy.

Do you understand now?

One last thing, Some of us don't want to wait till we're dead to enjoy the right to carry as it was meant to be.

No, I am not a conspiracy theorist, just a student of history.

"They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?" - Patrick Henry

CUOfficer

I think everyone agrees that we don't need permits. However, Walker has already swung that direction and with things like the Arizona shooting, we would be very hard-pressed to see Constituational Carry. I know that many of you won't agree, but I am preparing for a realistic situation. Commence the backlash....

protias

I think everyone agrees that we don't need permits. However, Walker has already swung that direction and with things like the Arizona shooting, we would be very hard-pressed to see Constituational Carry. I know that many of you won't agree, but I am preparing for a realistic situation. Commence the backlash....
That's why AZ is looking toward moving to even better gun laws, right?