Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open carry experiences

Open carry experiences

Well, with the help of this site I have had the confidence to finally get out there and open carry. I have been OC'ing for the last three weeks everywhere I go and needless to say its been all good. I havent had one bad experience, or even bad look. A lot of my friends say its because of my "Cop Hair" (Tight Crew Cut) lol. Whatever the reason, Im glad that I meet some of you at the delevan meet n greet to get over the fear of actually doing it.

Anyone thinking about OC"ing..... Be smart and Just Do It!

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewTownBagger View Post
    Anyone thinking about OC"ing..... Be smart and Just Do It!
    It is liberating, isn't it?

Congratulations!

+1 and Welcome to the world of open carry.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Yesterday was the first time I carried in a while. I'm not usually out and about anymore. Too dang cold!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Good for you! Quite new for me as well.

continue forward!

Quote Originally Posted by BrewTownBagger View Post
    A lot of my friends say its because of my "Cop Hair" (Tight Crew Cut) lol. Whatever the reason.......,
    I don't think your friends know what they are talking about. Several of us may look like an undercover narcotics agents and we still have not had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    I don't think your friends know what they are talking about. Several of us may look like an undercover narcotics agents and we still have not had any issues.
    Awe hell, some of us look like we use the narcotics. No problems.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

I took my 2 grandsons into Menards LaCrosse today and the older one was constantly talking about the .45. I didn't notice any strange looks but very rarely do.

Later I visited some friends and they were telling me of the "new practice" of home invasion in Racine. They were both surprised when I informed them that I carry my .45 while at home also. They shouldn't be surprised, I've carried at their home for the last 4-5 months.

Carry on!
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

Cool

All the times I have OC'ed it has been rather uneventful... thankfully! However last night I was in Muskego with my dad, he wanted to look and see what they had for .22LR ammo in stock at the new Wal Mart. We went back to the Sporting Goods section and we were looking in the glass cabinet. The Sporting Goods Dept Guy (male, older 50's, friendly gentlemen, clean cut) came up to us and asked us if we needed to look at anything. We said no, we were just looking (this Wal Mart just opened) at what they had in stock. As he was turning away he saw my MP40 holstered on my side.... he exclaimed in a rather high slightly scared voice (his eyes were as big as buick hubcaps) "Are you a Cop??!!??? I stated no.... then waited for fireworks to begin of police being called, getting asked to leave etc... He then just said "Oh, so you can just carry a gun around?" I stated "yes sir, it is legal in WI if it is openly carried". He responded "oh ok, wow that is really cool, I didn't know you could do that"

So I went on to explain to him a little about OC, and told him about WCI and such. It was just kind of funny because at his initial response I figured this was going to get ugly.... but it went really well, and now we have another informed citizen out there that seems supportive of our cause!

He's more scared of cops then of a citizen OCing. LOL

Don't get me wrong, I like LEOs, and have several in the family. However, there are some bad apples in every profession.

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    He's more scared of cops then of a citizen OCing. LOL

Don't get me wrong, I like LEOs, and have several in the family. However, there are some bad apples in every profession.
    Yeah I wasn't sure what he was afraid of, it went from an oh great... situation to a friendly conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny amish View Post
    Awe hell, some of us look like we use the narcotics. No problems.
    That is exactly what an undercover narcotics agents are supposed to look like. Like a criminal drug dealer.

It will be many years before my hair is as long as yours but I am on my way there.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    It will be many years before my hair is as long as yours but I am on my way there.
    Coolness takes time, you are definately in the club.
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

McX
    front seat encased, unloaded car carry pretty much every where i go these days. carry concealed at the shop- cause it's cold in the building, just another day. gun never off my hip while at work. unloaded, encased, available while at home.

Cool Proper Fashion For the Thermal Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    carry concealed at the shop- cause it's cold in the building.
    McX, you have miss-spoken. You know that concealed carry is not legal in Wisconsin. You probably really meant to say that since the building is cold, you have "properly accessorized your personal protection firearm to account for the cold conditions". We law abiding citizens who open carry abide by ALL the laws that pertain to our geographical location.

Carry on my brother - carry on.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    McX, you have miss-spoken. You know that concealed carry is not legal in Wisconsin. You probably really meant to say that since the building is cold, you have "properly accessorized your personal protection firearm to account for the cold conditions". We law abiding citizens who open carry abide by ALL the laws that pertain to our geographical location.

Carry on my brother - carry on.
    Conceal Carry is legal in WI if done on your own property.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post

Actually, Concealed carry is legal, sort of, if you are a felon or criminal due to the 5th Amendment. Also practiced often by criminals. It is just the law abiding that are punished by Wisconsin.

My most recent and quite harrowing carry experience was at Woodman's.

My wife is disabled so shopping can be long and arduous for us. I spent 3 hours wondering the isles of the store, retrieving items, without one single incident. No one appeared to notice my stainless .45 on my hip, no one ran wildly screaming, no one got shot. The manager of the store, greeted me on the way out and thanked me for shopping there and asked that I return soon. We thanked him, and agreed that we would indeed return and SPEND MORE OF OUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS the future.

Scary, huh...

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Protias, you are of course correct, but I am trying to deflect the efforts of anti-gun liberals to use our own statements against us. Example: 1) Concealed Carry is illegal in Wi. 2) The anti-gun liberals do not know (or care) that McX owns the property or business, and 3) They use this post to show that law abiding Wisconsin Citizens carry concealed despite (current) WI law.

So, Yes, all your anti-gun liberals - if you quote this thread, quote all of it - including the part about the fact that McX owns his business and the real property it is located on.

Quote Originally Posted by hardballer View Post
    Actually, Concealed carry is legal, sort of, if you are a felon or criminal due to the 5th Amendment. Also practiced often by criminals. It is just the law abiding that are punished by Wisconsin.

My most recent and quite harrowing carry experience was at Woodman's.

My wife is disabled so shopping can be long and arduous for us. I spent 3 hours wondering the isles of the store, retrieving items, without one single incident. No one appeared to notice my stainless .45 on my hip, no one ran wildly screaming, no one got shot. The manager of the store, greeted me on the way out and thanked me for shopping there and asked that I return soon. We thanked him, and agreed that we would indeed return and SPEND MORE OF OUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS the future.

Scary, huh...
    +1

Open carrying saved my life today

Boy am I lucky I was oc'ing today. I was doing chores today and the family dog Pumpkin, (I know, my daughter named him) went arround the side of the barn and did he start to pitch a fit, all hell broke loose so I went to see what the commotion was all about. When I rounded the corner I found myself staring straight into the eyes of one pi**ed off opossum. Now let me tell you my friends, you don't want to tangle with one of these mean creatures, especially in the winter. It did not take long to realize that I had found myself in a bad situation. After some carefull maneuvering I was able to draw my sidearm and neutralize the situation. Luck was on my side today, after all, has anyone ever heard of someone surviving an attack from an opossum, especially in the winter?
    Last edited by johnny amish; 01-19-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Ella Wheeler Cox

Quote Originally Posted by johnny amish View Post
    Boy am I lucky I was oc'ing today. I was doing chores today and the family dog Pumpkin, (I know, my daughter named him) went arround the side of the barn and did he start to pitch a fit, all hell broke loose so I went to see what the commotion was all about. When I rounded the corner I found myself staring straight into the eyes of one pi**ed off opossum. Now let me tell you my friends, you don't want to tangle with one of these mean creatures, especially in the winter. It did not take long to realize that I had found myself in a bad situation. After some carefull maneuvering I was able to draw my sidearm and neutralize the situation. Luck was on my side today, after all, has anyone ever heard of someone surviving an attack from an opossum, especially in the winter?
    Vernon County, huh... high altitude...?

baked 'posssum n' grits for supper?

I'm sorry, I just couldn't let that one get away.

But you would say "it was a good shoot"? Right?
    Last edited by phred; 01-19-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post

Up here in the hills we don't let anything go to waste. Dinner is around 6:00 stop by. Ma's grits are good with extra gravy.
    Last edited by johnny amish; 01-19-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Ella Wheeler Cox

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    Protias, you are of course correct, but I am trying to deflect the efforts of anti-gun liberals to use our own statements against us. Example: 1) Concealed Carry is illegal in Wi. 2) The anti-gun liberals do not know (or care) that McX owns the property or business, and 3) They use this post to show that law abiding Wisconsin Citizens carry concealed despite (current) WI law.

So, Yes, all your anti-gun liberals - if you quote this thread, quote all of it - including the part about the fact that McX owns his business and the real property it is located on.
    yup, i own the business, the land, the building, and the tax burden............oh lucky me. i wont even mention the charming neighborhood it is located in.

McX
    2 −
    In State of Wisconsin v. Munir A. Hamdan, 264 Wis. 2d 433 (2003), the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled that Hamdanís constitutional right to bear arms had been violated, overturning his conviction for violating the law. Hamdan, the owner of a family-run grocery store in a high-crime neighborhood in Milwaukee, routinely kept a loaded gun under the counter near the cash register. In addition to numerous violent criminal incidents outside the store, his premises had been the target of four armed robberies in recent years. In one, the assailantís gun misfired when the trigger was pulled, sparing Hamdanís life. In another, he shot and killed a robber in self-defense. In the incident at issue, he was in the process of putting the gun in storage for the night when he was discovered by police to be carrying it in his pants pocket. The court found that the statute could not be constitutionally applied in this situation because Hamdanís personal interest in having a concealed weapon in his store outweighed the stateís interest in enforcing the statute:
    If the constitutional right to keep and bear arms for security is to mean anything, it must, as a general matter, permit a person to possess, carry and sometimes conceal arms to maintain the security of his private residence or privately operated business, and to safely move and store weapons within these premises.
    The court went on to state that a Wisconsin resident has the right to carry a concealed weapon on his or her property, business, or
    − 3 −
    LRB−08−WB−16
    home, when: 1) the need to exercise this right is significant, 2) the person has no other reasonable means to keep and handle the weapon, and 3) the person was not motivated by any unlawful purpose in concealing the weapon.

READ IT AND WEEP ANTI-GUN SCUM!!!!!!

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post

Hmmm..... I was born in Vernon county..... I have eaten roadkill.... BUT I am fussy about it. It's got to be fresh and I don't think I'd eat Opossum; but Deer and a grouse I hit once....Yummy.

Wait, whoops, we weren't talking about roadkill. Well, still; I wouldn't eat opossum. Racoon is not too bad though.

Scary looking and not delicious looking:

Last edited by Brass Magnet; 01-20-2011 at 09:35 AM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast