• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry experiences

BrewTownBagger

Well, with the help of this site I have had the confidence to finally get out there and open carry. I have been OC'ing for the last three weeks everywhere I go and needless to say its been all good. I havent had one bad experience, or even bad look. A lot of my friends say its because of my "Cop Hair" (Tight Crew Cut) lol. Whatever the reason, Im glad that I meet some of you at the delevan meet n greet to get over the fear of actually doing it.

Anyone thinking about OC"ing..... Be smart and Just Do It! :banana:

protias

Yesterday was the first time I carried in a while. I'm not usually out and about anymore. Too dang cold!

Krusty

I took my 2 grandsons into Menards LaCrosse today and the older one was constantly talking about the .45. I didn't notice any strange looks but very rarely do.

Later I visited some friends and they were telling me of the "new practice" of home invasion in Racine. They were both surprised when I informed them that I carry my .45 while at home also. They shouldn't be surprised, I've carried at their home for the last 4-5 months.

Carry on!

xd40arff

All the times I have OC'ed it has been rather uneventful... thankfully! However last night I was in Muskego with my dad, he wanted to look and see what they had for .22LR ammo in stock at the new Wal Mart. We went back to the Sporting Goods section and we were looking in the glass cabinet. The Sporting Goods Dept Guy (male, older 50's, friendly gentlemen, clean cut) came up to us and asked us if we needed to look at anything. We said no, we were just looking (this Wal Mart just opened) at what they had in stock. As he was turning away he saw my MP40 holstered on my side.... he exclaimed in a rather high slightly scared voice (his eyes were as big as buick hubcaps) "Are you a Cop??!!??? I stated no.... then waited for fireworks to begin of police being called, getting asked to leave etc... He then just said "Oh, so you can just carry a gun around?" I stated "yes sir, it is legal in WI if it is openly carried". He responded "oh ok, wow that is really cool, I didn't know you could do that"

So I went on to explain to him a little about OC, and told him about WCI and such. It was just kind of funny because at his initial response I figured this was going to get ugly.... but it went really well, and now we have another informed citizen out there that seems supportive of our cause!

TyGuy

He's more scared of cops then of a citizen OCing. LOL

Don't get me wrong, I like LEOs, and have several in the family. However, there are some bad apples in every profession.

xd40arff

He's more scared of cops then of a citizen OCing. LOL

Don't get me wrong, I like LEOs, and have several in the family. However, there are some bad apples in every profession.

Yeah I wasn't sure what he was afraid of, it went from an oh great... situation to a friendly conversation.

M

McX

front seat encased, unloaded car carry pretty much every where i go these days. carry concealed at the shop- cause it's cold in the building, just another day. gun never off my hip while at work. unloaded, encased, available while at home.

jpm84092

Proper Fashion For the Thermal Conditions

carry concealed at the shop- cause it's cold in the building.

McX, you have miss-spoken. You know that concealed carry is not legal in Wisconsin. You probably really meant to say that since the building is cold, you have "properly accessorized your personal protection firearm to account for the cold conditions". We law abiding citizens who open carry abide by ALL the laws that pertain to our geographical location.

Carry on my brother - carry on.

protias

McX, you have miss-spoken. You know that concealed carry is not legal in Wisconsin. You probably really meant to say that since the building is cold, you have "properly accessorized your personal protection firearm to account for the cold conditions". We law abiding citizens who open carry abide by ALL the laws that pertain to our geographical location.

Carry on my brother - carry on.
Conceal Carry is legal in WI if done on your own property. ;)

hardballer

Actually, Concealed carry is legal, sort of, if you are a felon or criminal due to the 5th Amendment. Also practiced often by criminals. It is just the law abiding that are punished by Wisconsin.

My most recent and quite harrowing carry experience was at Woodman's.

My wife is disabled so shopping can be long and arduous for us. I spent 3 hours wondering the isles of the store, retrieving items, without one single incident. No one appeared to notice my stainless .45 on my hip, no one ran wildly screaming, no one got shot. The manager of the store, greeted me on the way out and thanked me for shopping there and asked that I return soon. We thanked him, and agreed that we would indeed return and SPEND MORE OF OUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS the future.

Scary, huh...

jpm84092

Protias, you are of course correct, but I am trying to deflect the efforts of anti-gun liberals to use our own statements against us. Example: 1) Concealed Carry is illegal in Wi. 2) The anti-gun liberals do not know (or care) that McX owns the property or business, and 3) They use this post to show that law abiding Wisconsin Citizens carry concealed despite (current) WI law.

So, Yes, all your anti-gun liberals - if you quote this thread, quote all of it - including the part about the fact that McX owns his business and the real property it is located on.

jpm84092

Actually, Concealed carry is legal, sort of, if you are a felon or criminal due to the 5th Amendment. Also practiced often by criminals. It is just the law abiding that are punished by Wisconsin.

My most recent and quite harrowing carry experience was at Woodman's.

My wife is disabled so shopping can be long and arduous for us. I spent 3 hours wondering the isles of the store, retrieving items, without one single incident. No one appeared to notice my stainless .45 on my hip, no one ran wildly screaming, no one got shot. The manager of the store, greeted me on the way out and thanked me for shopping there and asked that I return soon. We thanked him, and agreed that we would indeed return and SPEND MORE OF OUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS the future.

Scary, huh...

+1

johnny amish

Open carrying saved my life today

Boy am I lucky I was oc'ing today. I was doing chores today and the family dog Pumpkin, (I know, my daughter named him) went arround the side of the barn and did he start to pitch a fit, all hell broke loose so I went to see what the commotion was all about. When I rounded the corner I found myself staring straight into the eyes of one pi**ed off opossum. Now let me tell you my friends, you don't want to tangle with one of these mean creatures, especially in the winter. It did not take long to realize that I had found myself in a bad situation. After some carefull maneuvering I was able to draw my sidearm and neutralize the situation. Luck was on my side today, after all, has anyone ever heard of someone surviving an attack from an opossum, especially in the winter?

Last edited: