Thread: OT - Where is a good refinishing place?

OT - Where is a good refinishing place?

Mr. Dumb-Dumb over here didn't realize that a cleaner I was using contained acetone until it was too late. Now I have paint stripped in the chamber area of my GSG-5 along with some run off down the outside near the ejection port. Does anyone know of any place locally that can clean this up?

Quote Originally Posted by onlurker View Post
    Mr. Dumb-Dumb over here didn't realize that a cleaner I was using contained acetone until it was too late. Now I have paint stripped in the chamber area of my GSG-5 along with some run off down the outside near the ejection port. Does anyone know of any place locally that can clean this up?
    Try calling the smith at Norpoint. He only works weekends but I have not heard anything but good remarks bout him.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

You might end up paying a ton for the work in a shop. Have you considered looking at Brownell's?

They sell a product called Aluma-Hyde II which is used by a lot of gunsmiths to restore similar finishes.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...A_HYDE_reg__II

I have used this for retouching some AR Receivers. They also carry other products with a variety of colors or finish types. They aren't hard to use if you follow the instructions. The good side of doing it yourself is that "there will be others". Scratches and "dings" just happen. If you have the material it's not all that hard to keep them touched up. You may have to refinish an area out to a natural break in contour in order to give the "repair" maximum blend.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    They sell a product called Aluma-Hyde II which is used by a lot of gunsmiths to restore similar finishes.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...A_HYDE_reg__II

I have used this for retouching some AR Receivers. They also carry other products with a variety of colors or finish types. They aren't hard to use if you follow the instructions. The good side of doing it yourself is that "there will be others". Scratches and "dings" just happen. If you have the material it's not all that hard to keep them touched up. You may have to refinish an area out to a natural break in contour in order to give the "repair" maximum blend.
    Thanks for the help,but this is definitely not a "touch up." I have exposed bare metal in the chamber area and the rifle in question is a first anniversary edition before the ATI recall. While I'm not looking for collector status just yet, I would like to restore it back to factory and I don't think I personally am up for the task.

I saw this place get quite a few good words in the Sig Forums.

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by onlurker View Post
    Thanks for the help,but this is definitely not a "touch up." I have exposed bare metal in the chamber area and the rifle in question is a first anniversary edition before the ATI recall. While I'm not looking for collector status just yet, I would like to restore it back to factory and I don't think I personally am up for the task.
    Have you considered contacting the manufacturer? Many of them do this kind of work and in some cases it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. They may even have some recommendations.

As for using the product I recommended, you can also do complete refinishes with it. Just strip to the component parts, clean, and spray. If the original finish could be removed by acetone, you may want something a little more "resistant" anyway.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I haven't contacted the manufacturer just yet but I will. Just wanted to see what other options are available.