• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - Where is a good refinishing place?

onlurker

Mr. Dumb-Dumb over here didn't realize that a cleaner I was using contained acetone until it was too late. Now I have paint stripped in the chamber area of my GSG-5 along with some run off down the outside near the ejection port. Does anyone know of any place locally that can clean this up?

joeroket

Mr. Dumb-Dumb over here didn't realize that a cleaner I was using contained acetone until it was too late. Now I have paint stripped in the chamber area of my GSG-5 along with some run off down the outside near the ejection port. Does anyone know of any place locally that can clean this up?

Try calling the smith at Norpoint. He only works weekends but I have not heard anything but good remarks bout him.

amlevin

You might end up paying a ton for the work in a shop. Have you considered looking at Brownell's?

They sell a product called Aluma-Hyde II which is used by a lot of gunsmiths to restore similar finishes.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1117/Product/ALUMA_HYDE_reg__II

I have used this for retouching some AR Receivers. They also carry other products with a variety of colors or finish types. They aren't hard to use if you follow the instructions. The good side of doing it yourself is that "there will be others". Scratches and "dings" just happen. If you have the material it's not all that hard to keep them touched up. You may have to refinish an area out to a natural break in contour in order to give the "repair" maximum blend.

onlurker

They sell a product called Aluma-Hyde II which is used by a lot of gunsmiths to restore similar finishes.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1117/Product/ALUMA_HYDE_reg__II

I have used this for retouching some AR Receivers. They also carry other products with a variety of colors or finish types. They aren't hard to use if you follow the instructions. The good side of doing it yourself is that "there will be others". Scratches and "dings" just happen. If you have the material it's not all that hard to keep them touched up. You may have to refinish an area out to a natural break in contour in order to give the "repair" maximum blend.

Thanks for the help,but this is definitely not a "touch up." I have exposed bare metal in the chamber area and the rifle in question is a first anniversary edition before the ATI recall. While I'm not looking for collector status just yet, I would like to restore it back to factory and I don't think I personally am up for the task.

amlevin

Thanks for the help,but this is definitely not a "touch up." I have exposed bare metal in the chamber area and the rifle in question is a first anniversary edition before the ATI recall. While I'm not looking for collector status just yet, I would like to restore it back to factory and I don't think I personally am up for the task.

Have you considered contacting the manufacturer? Many of them do this kind of work and in some cases it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. They may even have some recommendations.

As for using the product I recommended, you can also do complete refinishes with it. Just strip to the component parts, clean, and spray. If the original finish could be removed by acetone, you may want something a little more "resistant" anyway.