• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If HB-1016 is approved?

amlevin

If State Law regarding the use of supressors is revised, how many here will be looking at purchasing one. For Pistol only, or also for rifle?

I've given some thought to a Yankee Hill Machine Stainless suppressor that can be used on both my 5.56mm and 7.62mm rifles. Installing the QD adapter/Flash Hider on each rifle allows me to use one suppressor for ALL my rifles.

Also considering one for my 9mm's.

Anyone else out there considering the investment should the law be revised?

For the rifles, my feeling is that there will be fewer complaints when one goes out into the woods or a gravel pit. Most responses by LEO's start out by someone bitching about the noise.

BTW, for those that aren't familiar for the "sound signature" of a suppressed firearm, it's usually the difference between hearing one with "Bare Ears" and the same weapon fired while wearing "Shooting Muffs". Most suppressors reduce noise by 25-30 dba.

pooley

I'm not a Washington resident but I do have a fair amount of experience in suppressors, short-barrel rifle/shotguns & machineguns, both owning/using and on the legal side (federal law). I think it'd be wonderful if you guys get to starting using this stuff & if anyone has any questions (definitely about the ATF paperwork) feel free to PM me. I'd be more than happy to help you streamline the process & choose the right supressor for you.

skiingislife725

Good price on summitgunbroker for the YHM 9mm...not sure if it's an older model or not, haven't ever given the thought of getting a suppressor much thought since I can't actually use it. But I definitely will if HB1016 passes.

amlevin

If the law is revised for suppressors, then it would be nice to have them change the State's law on SBR's.

Essentially it's being bypassed with the AR/AK pistols.

Last edited:

amlevin

This may be the pistol that gave people the idea that a suppressor could actually "silence" a pistol.

1287717873.jpg

During WWII these were produced by the British for their clandestine operations in Europe. Many years ago I read an account by someone that used on where the description of the noise signature was like that of "releasing the gas from a bottle of seltzer". The silencer/suppressor, when assembled didn't have any holes in the washers. They were "installed" at the first shot. The washers, rubber and steel, trapped almost all of the gases within the silencer and only when the bullet left were they slowly released through the final rubber washer.

The "silenced" feature was only good for 10 rounds or so. There were also accounts where individuals were "eliminated" in the middle of restaurants without disturbing any of the other patrons.

This was an effective weapon and was utilized as late as Desert Storm by SAS operators.

Current "suppressors" are not as quiet but they are also good for full auto weapons and last far longer than the 10 rounds or so.

-and then there is the potato, as anyone who was raised on a farm has probably tried ---- once.

Last edited: