• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Flashlights as a defensive tool

WinchesterModel12

My local "Batteries Plus" store has some tactical style flashlights sitting on the counter. 220 lumens max.
adjustable power from 220,110 and 22 lumens also has SOS and strobe effect. takes 3 AAA batteries.
$29.99 + tax. I haven't had any problems with mine, and batteries last awhile.

emtechnik

Surefire has some models that around the lens it has some metal that was designed to be a "DNA sampler" if you will :lol: they're ultra-bright but they aren't exactly the kind of blunt-force trauma type of weapon you'd see in a maglite. much smaller, but they're great :)

amlevin

My local "Batteries Plus" store has some tactical style flashlights sitting on the counter. 220 lumens max.
adjustable power from 220,110 and 22 lumens also has SOS and strobe effect. takes 3 AAA batteries.
$29.99 + tax. I haven't had any problems with mine, and batteries last awhile.

Couple of neat features with these. One is that they work pretty good. Second is that you don't cry as much if your $100+++ "Big Namer" gets run over by a car or dropped in the lake. Also, the AAA batteries are waaaaay cheaper than the "123's" that the others take.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Ultrafire

Our Search and Rescue team got a dozen Ultrafire WF-501B (generic Surefire) for about $13 a piece on Flea-bay. SureFire makes quality gear, but I think they are WAY overpriced.

oldkim

Costco lights...

So, first you really need to read the comments left on Costco on both those lights.

Not very good. First the lumen output of 900 lumens is a bit off. Some compare it to about 300-360 lumens but that is suspect too. As for durability and reliability - not for me.

Seems like a "cool" inexpensive flashlight but not for self defense as it's not durable and reliable....

For a true self defense flashlight go with proven name brands with proven track records.

Just my $0.02

oldkim

well....

It's okay since you have to buy these flashlights off their website - most Costco's do not carry them unless they specially stocked them.

When it comes down to it cheap and affordable - most forget.... why you can't shop there (e.g. non union places, non US made goods, non gun friendly places, etc).

When Money is involved folks forget. It's all about where you can get the most out of your buck - where you can get it cheaper.... It's the facts of life.

07Altima

My brother

Before my brother died a few years ago he was working for a towing company in California had to beat a guy off who attacked him, he had a mag xl 100 in any case it saved his butt, only down side is it busted the bulb rofl but it worked knocked the guy senseless!