• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Flashlights as a defensive tool

Metalhead47

I came across a Maglite XL100 this weekend that I've been looking for, which got my wife & I to talking... she's interested in a flashlight as another "everyday" defensive too. Like most of us, she can't carry at work (even pepper spray, etc), and she's legitimately concerned about some kind of confrontation while there (think the "disgruntled former employee" scenario). She can't be faulted for carrying a flashlight, it's a handy thing to have around in any case.

So what's everyone carry far as that goes? Strobe vs really-friggin-bright? Price? I'd like to find something under $100, and fairly compact. I'm not sure how I like the Maglite right now, it's got some cool features, but you have to be able to see in order to select them, which kinda defeats the purpose of a flashlight. :banghead:

j2l3

I bought my wife the Coast P7. 200 lumens, bright enough to blind someone temporarily and hard enough she can hit with it. AMazon has it for $65 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Coast-Lenser-...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1295232734&sr=8-1

I use a Surefire E2D Executive Defender. it's the older one. The newer one is LED and much brighter. However, I like mine and am confident it will get the job done when necessary. It is well over your $100 range mentioned though.

oldkim

Size, lumens and cost...

So, your Maglite XL100 has about 83 lumens
http://www.maglite.com/maglite_xl100_led.asp

For self defense you are now looking for at least 120-200 lumens. With modern technology you should be paying around $70-$120 for a flashlight with this much power.

Although you can get those <$30 specials from your local drugstore they are typically not rated (lumens) and are really not appropriate for self defense. Great for a flashlight.

All flashlight manufacturers comes in different designs (how focused the light is, etc) from size to power.

You'll have to know what size (really small to more compact models to more mid size to larger head designs).

All those features are nice (tacticool) but for a self defense light... keep it simple (KISS method).

We just wrapped up a low light shoot (Saturday) and another factor is if you carry and have a light is to practice shooting with a light.

Metalhead47

So, your Maglite XL100 has about 83 lumens
http://www.maglite.com/maglite_xl100_led.asp

For self defense you are now looking for at least 120-200 lumens. With modern technology you should be paying around $70-$120 for a flashlight with this much power.

Although you can get those <$30 specials from your local drugstore they are typically not rated (lumens) and are really not appropriate for self defense. Great for a flashlight.

All flashlight manufacturers comes in different designs (how focused the light is, etc) from size to power.

You'll have to know what size (really small to more compact models to more mid size to larger head designs).

All those features are nice (tacticool) but for a self defense light... keep it simple (KISS method).

We just wrapped up a low light shoot (Saturday) and another factor is if you carry and have a light is to practice shooting with a light.

Thanks, that's the kind of breakdown I was looking for. I'm not seeing much in the price range with a strobe feature, is it really worth it, or should I focus more on "burn holes thru the back of your skull" bright?

How bout places to shop for lights? Tried Wholesale Sports yesterday and they were kinda limited.

Metalhead47

I have and carry daily a Surefire 6PDL. It's good, but the batteries need to be kept fresh or else its output is marginal for affecting others.

Heh, just looked at their website.... screw the flashlights, I want their 100-round AR mags!
9.gif

Last edited:

amlevin

Take a look here:

http://combatoptical.com/catalog/3W...Strobe-Rechargeable-Flashlight-combo-416.html

I bought one of their flashlights recently and was pleasantly surprised with the quality. The argument of "you get what you pay for" works up to a point. The LED's are pretty much a commodity now as well as batteries. The body is machined aluminum. When you start paying for a "Big Name, Advertising/Marketing, and "Prestige" then you aren't necessarily getting more for the $$.

As for a flashlight alone as a defensive tool is limited. Distracting or disorienting is possible but an armed person, even blinded can still shoot.

Somehow the only "flash" I prefer is "Muzzle Flash". As for an office or work environment, I knew a woman where I worked who always carried a letter-opener wherever she went in the office. That's all it was, an old fashioned, long bladed, letter opener, with a blade about 7" long. Looked like a stilletto without the fancy handle. I sure wouldn't want to get "poked" with it.