Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Bill 4009 of 2011, not eactly OC related, but....

House Bill 4009 of 2011, not eactly OC related, but....

House Bill 4009 of 2011 introduced. If passed as is, will eliminate Pistol Free Zones for CPL holders.

While this isn't exactly OC related, it could have an impact.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

This could be huge. It would be Great for all, especially those who want to carry on campus, "Students for concealed carry on campus"

My mouth just hit the floor. Someone had the stones to introduce this bill, in this climate??

EDIT: Wait, what? Is that man a DEMOCRAT????

Okay, I need a drink......
    Last edited by Slave; 01-16-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Banned
    This is the best news I have heard in a long time. Hopefully, there will be no prohibition on open carry though. One big step towards constitutional carry.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Bill is In the Judiciary committee. Contact your reps and the members of the committee.

Thursday, 10:30 AM, Room 521 House Office Building
    Committee Clerk: Patricia Tremblay
    Ph: 517.373.5795
    ptremblay@house.mi.gov
    Reps. Walsh (C), Heise (Maj. VC), Gilbert, Horn, Scott, Damrow, Muxlow, Jacobsen, Pettalia,
    Somerville, Meadows oH(Min. VC), Constan, Oakes, Brown, Irwin, Cavanagh, Olumba

HOUSE BILL No. 4009

January 13, 2011, Introduced by Rep. LeBlanc and referred to the Committee on Judiciary.

A bill to amend 1927 PA 372, entitled

"An act to regulate and license the selling, purchasing,
    possessing, and carrying of certain firearms and gas ejecting
    devices; to prohibit the buying, selling, or carrying of certain
    firearms and gas ejecting devices without a license or other
    authorization; to provide for the forfeiture of firearms under
    certain circumstances; to provide for penalties and remedies; to
    provide immunity from civil liability under certain circumstances;
    to prescribe the powers and duties of certain state and local
    agencies; to prohibit certain conduct against individuals who apply
    for or receive a license to carry a concealed pistol; to make
    appropriations; to prescribe certain conditions for the
    appropriations; and to repeal all acts and parts of acts
    inconsistent with this act,"

by amending section 5c (MCL 28.425c), as amended by 2002 PA 719;

and to repeal acts and parts of acts.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT:

Sec. 5c. (1) A license to carry a concealed pistol shall be in

a form, with the same dimensions as a Michigan operator license,

prescribed by the department of state police. The license shall

contain all of the following:

(a) The licensee's full name and date of birth.

(b) A photograph and a physical description of the licensee.

(c) A statement of the effective dates of the license.

(d) An indication of exceptions authorized by this act

applicable to the licensee.

(e) An indication whether the license is a duplicate.

(2) Subject to section 5o and except Except as otherwise

provided by law, a license to carry a concealed pistol issued by

the county concealed weapon licensing board authorizes the licensee

to do all of the following:

(a) Carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person

anywhere in this state.

(b) Carry a pistol in a vehicle, whether concealed or not

concealed, anywhere in this state.

Enacting section 1. Section 5o of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425o, is

repealed.

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Banned

Thumbs up If you have never contacted your reps, do it this time.

I suppose it's a question if this gets through, let's pray it does, How long will it take?

State Researcher
    Correct link to actual bill.
    Last edited by JimMullinsWVCDL; 01-17-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Banned

Thumbs up

I sent one off to my rep already.

I am absoluetly floored about this.

I mean, I know thatI am extreme in my rebuking of people who make all democrats out to be anti gun, and making all republicans to be pro gun, and I know it's not true, but there is a grain of truth to it.

I maintain my judging politicians by the laws they introduce and not by the color of the party, and this guy here is why.

I mean, I know people here, and other various boards assumed with the crimson tide in november that we would get better 2A votes, but I never expected ANY politician of ANY party to have the stones to relax gun laws in light of recent events, and especially not a democrat.

Kudos to him, I hope we get it, but damn, it will make moving out of Michigan harder.

Banned
    I agree. I was waiting for you to bring that up, I noticed it right away, but it seemed appropriate to let you point that out, considering that you have taken so much crap about it.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I agree. I was waiting for you to bring that up, I noticed it right away, but it seemed appropriate to let you point that out, considering that you have taken so much crap about it.
    I wasn't going to Stainless. I had typed up a big long childish post making fun of Wolverine, and others who have flamed me, plus a Mod who let them get away with it, then I thought better of it.

I figured that this LIBERAL introducing one of the most important bills us 2A people could get, would be enough for me.

LeBlanc vindicated me, so now, I will let my haters swear at thier computer screens, while I smile, and hopefully carry my peice a whole lot more places!

We all win when we work together.
    Last edited by Slave; 01-17-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave View Post

We all win when we work together.
    Yes we do.

The simple fact that a liberal has introduced this bill will likely have a profound impact on those who would otherwise oppose it. This is very good for us.

I've made it easy for everyone to call everyone. I've even suggested a date to "bomb" them with calls. I've even wrote a suggested talk script for those who find it hard to say something.
    Last edited by TheQ; 01-17-2011 at 01:08 AM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Yes we do.

The simple fact that a liberal has introduced this bill will likely have a profound impact on those who would otherwise oppose it. This is very good for us.
    Big question, is LeBlanc a liberal, or is he a conservative Democrat? I know they exist. Or at least they used to.
    Big Gay Al

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I've made it easy for everyone to call everyone. I've even suggested a date to "bomb" them with calls. I've even wrote a suggested talk script for those who find it hard to say something.
    Thank you for this post.

Is this posted on Michigan Gun Owners?

If not, it needs to be.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    Is this posted on Michigan Gun Owners?

If not, it needs to be.
    Yes.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Alright folks...we are about to find out what we have in Lansing. If this bill dies in committee, we know we will have a tough road ahead. If this goes and gets passed, we get to find out if our Governor is Pro-2A. I thought a small tester bill could have accomplished that, but this is a big one. Buckle up.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    Alright folks...we are about to find out what we have in Lansing. If this bill dies in committee, we know we will have a tough road ahead. If this goes and gets passed, we get to find out if our Governor is Pro-2A. I thought a small tester bill could have accomplished that, but this is a big one. Buckle up.
    We need to be sure to call. Let's all call together -- on Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by Kindyj View Post
    This could be huge. It would be Great for all, especially those who want to carry on campus, "Students for concealed carry on campus"
    This is a great bill and I fully welcome it.....however, some colleges have their own constitution so a few of them would still be able to ban firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by budlight View Post
    This is a great bill and I fully welcome it.....however, some colleges have their own constitution so a few of them would still be able to ban firearms.

Sorta... some can and some can't... the next step is to expand preemption and add teeth to it!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    Sorta... some can and some can't... the next step is to expand preemption and add teeth to it!
    I believe most schools would enact, if they haven't already, a prohibition on students and faculty carrying firearms on campus. It would be akin to work place prohibitions. You wouldn't be breaking any laws, but they'd be within their right to expel/fire those who get caught violating such policies.

The only ones we might have a chance on changing, would be those run by the state and/or local gov't. Private schools and colleges would still be able to do as they please.

But I think that is a long road to go down. I would suggest, one step at a time. First, get the PFZs eliminated with this bill, then we can work on the rest.
    Big Gay Al

Banned
    Thursday then.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    I believe most schools would enact, if they haven't already, a prohibition on students and faculty carrying firearms on campus. It would be akin to work place prohibitions. You wouldn't be breaking any laws, but they'd be within their right to expel/fire those who get caught violating such policies.

The only ones we might have a chance on changing, would be those run by the state and/or local gov't. Private schools and colleges would still be able to do as they please.

But I think that is a long road to go down. I would suggest, one step at a time. First, get the PFZs eliminated with this bill, then we can work on the rest.
    I agree!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast