• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stupid question - What is the age one can Open Carry in Virginia?

t33j

+1

There are no laws in the Virginia Code that deal with open carry. 18 is the minimum age required to possess a handgun in Virginia although as far as I can tell, there is no minimum for ownership. (Why should there be?) I only mention it to bring attention to the difference between possession and ownership.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

Welcome to OCDO. :)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There are no stupid questions......well....yeah there are....but this isn't one:lol:

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I used to be stupid, but after asking a lot of stupid questions, I finally got smart and have stayed that way ever since.

And yes, you can OC at the tender age of 18. Welcome to OCDO!

garfield6399

documentation

i was talking to a guy that works at a gun shop i frequent. he told me that since im under 21 i should have documentation that says it is legal at 18 to OC. what type of documentation should suffice?

TFred

There are no laws in the Virginia Code that deal with open carry. 18 is the minimum age required to possess a handgun in Virginia although as far as I can tell, there is no minimum for ownership. (Why should there be?) I only mention it to bring attention to the difference between possession and ownership.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

Welcome to OCDO. :)

i was talking to a guy that works at a gun shop i frequent. he told me that since im under 21 i should have documentation that says it is legal at 18 to OC. what type of documentation should suffice?
See the law that t33j quoted in this earlier post.

Virginia does not make laws saying what you can do, just what you cannot do. (Generally speaking.)

IANAL, but I would suppose if you run into a LEO who wants to give you a ticket or arrest you, all you can do is ask them to please identify the law you are breaking first...

I don't know if that would do you any good though...

TFred

t33j

Gun store employees tend to be notoriously bad at getting the law right. Asking them questions related to anything other than the purchase (transfer, etc...) of firearms is probably almost as bad as asking a cop for legal advice.

By the way there are many members here who started carrying between ages 18 and 21 including myself. As I said, there are no laws in the Virginia Code that deal with open carry so you'll be hard pressed to find a law that says you can OC. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a law that says you're allowed to do anything. Laws prohibit things, not allow them (for the most part).

Thundar

ive done research that says it is 18. but ive asked cops who say its 21. and it was mostly to catch peoples eye and look

Got the documentation right here:

Amendment II US Constitution
Article I Amendment 13 Virginia Constitution

The answer to the original question is 18 years for handguns, no lower limit for long guns.

garfield6399

any suggestions

i have a beretta 96. 40 caliber. does anybody have any recomendations for a paddle holster. im looking at blackhawks serpa

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Gun store employees tend to be notoriously bad at getting the law right. Asking them questions related to anything other than the purchase (transfer, etc...) of firearms is probably almost as bad as asking a cop for legal advice.
Some of us aren't that bad, but I've heard some doozies too.

VApatriot

i have a beretta 96. 40 caliber. does anybody have any recomendations for a paddle holster. im looking at blackhawks serpa

I'll add a +1 for the Blackhawk Serpa. I've carried both a 1911 and Springfield XD in Serpa holtsers for years now, and I love them.

Also, I started open carrying when I was 18 (now just 22), and I have never been stopped or questioned by a law enforcement officer about my gun. In fact, the only time I seemed to be questioned at all about being able to carry was when I was at gun shops. It seems that gun shop employees think that just because they can't sell you a handgun that you can't have or carry one at all. Of course, this is not the case in Virginia.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
I'll add a +1 for the Blackhawk Serpa. I've carried both a 1911 and Springfield XD in Serpa holtsers for years now, and I love them.

Also, I started open carrying when I was 18 (now just 22), and I have never been stopped or questioned by a law enforcement officer about my gun. In fact, the only time I seemed to be questioned at all about being able to carry was when I was at gun shops. It seems that gun shop employees think that just because they can't sell you a handgun that you can't have or carry one at all. Of course, this is not the case in Virginia.
I'm proud to say our shop has employed guys under 21 who carried on and off the job. Of course there are lots of folks (on both sides of the counter) who still don't know about or understand open carry and the fact it is our right to bear arms (no permission slip required).

VApatriot

I'm proud to say our shop has employed guys under 21 who carried on and off the job. Of course there are lots of folks (on both sides of the counter) who still don't know about or understand open carry and the fact it is our right to bear arms (no permission slip required).

I will gladly put a plug in for Guns and Ammo Warehouse, as it is not one of the three different shops that I was challenged in. Mind you, I was never asked to level or disarm in any of these other shops, and the employees always seemed to accepted that I knew what I was talking about when I explained how I legally acquired and carried a handgun.

And2TheRepublic

I'd like to add on to this thread, if i may.

1. Where is the law/code/rules, if any, in dealing with LEO's. For example, i see many say that we're required to show an LEO our permit if we are pulled over. I havent been able to find such verbage in a law.

2. I'm fairly new to Virginia, and ive read on this forum, that in dealing with LEO's in a non traffic stop scenario, im not required to show ID, unless im being detained, and that i should ask the LEO if i am. In Texas, where im from, our encounters with an LEO dont happen that way. Im just looking for confirmation with an LEO when i am OC, CC, or have no weapon.

3. I have seen sites saying that having a CHP you are exempt from the 30 day purchase rule. Is this true? Also, if anyone has a link to such code/law that shows what CHP holders are exempt from.

Thanks in advance