• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stupid question - What is the age one can Open Carry in Virginia?

t33j

I'd like to add on to this thread, if i may.

1. Where is the law/code/rules, if any, in dealing with LEO's. For example, i see many say that we're required to show an LEO our permit if we are pulled over. I havent been able to find such verbage in a law.
No such law. You ARE required to produce a VADL if you are operating a vehicle but that is it as far as I know. If a LEO asks you if you are CCing and you are, you are required to produce your CHP for the LEO. You are not required to reveal if you are carrying and where. Many will simply volunteer this information but I can think of one circumstance where the difference between producing a CHP and revealing that you are carrying is extremely important. 18.2-308 H

2. I'm fairly new to Virginia, and ive read on this forum, that in dealing with LEO's in a non traffic stop scenario, im not required to show ID, unless im being detained, and that i should ask the LEO if i am. In Texas, where im from, our encounters with an LEO dont happen that way. Im just looking for confirmation with an LEO when i am OC, CC, or have no weapon.
You are not required to produce ID even if you are detained unless the locality you happen to be in has a law which requires you to do so. I'll leave the illegality of those laws to someone more versed in the Dillon Rule.

3. I have seen sites saying that having a CHP you are exempt from the 30 day purchase rule. Is this true? Also, if anyone has a link to such code/law that shows what CHP holders are exempt from.

Thanks in advance

Yes, 18.2-308.2:2 P2h

Last edited:

rob99vmi04

i have a beretta 96. 40 caliber. does anybody have any recomendations for a paddle holster. im looking at blackhawks serpa

I own a few serpa's, however after discovering the saifarland ALS I have not picked up a serpa.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-model-6378-selection.html

Some of these are on sale for $29.

ALs pros:

Swade lined
Retention button is not as obvious as the serpa
The polymer in the holster seems to be thicker
La police gear has saifarland ALS holsters for around $40-50, bout the same price of a serpa.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

what kind of ammo do you guys usually carry?

There for a while whatever was available! :)

My self defense rounds are usually: Federal Hydrashok (HST), Speer, or Remmington Golden Saber (all hollow points).

I have seen info on all and all penetrate and expand reliably. Typically a good hollowpoint bullet will double or triple the cost over cheap range ammo. So for a .45acp which is usually about 35 cents a Federal Hydrashok is between 75 cents and a dollar depending on who you buy them from and quantity. (boxes of 50 are cheaper than boxes of 20).

Whatever you buy, shoot several through your gun to make sure it doesn't jam and performs reliably. Yes it is expensive but worth the money. I have heard of some rotating out the expensive ammo every six months to a year. I haven't yet but may sometime if I can get enough to replace them. :)

Happy shooting!

ocholsteroc

I carry Federal HP rounds. It's like $30 a box of 50. Great stuff. One of the best on the market, some of the police departments use them.

You do not wanna use FMJ for SD, use HP. Now for a backup gun, maybe FMJ for deep impact incase you are in a SD shooting at some car, you need to get through metal door or something. :confused:

Please come to a OC dinner. We do not bite ;)

You also want to carry a tape recorder.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

You also want to carry a tape recorder.

I feel guilty everytime I tell someone I am tape recording a show on TV. I use TiVO and it is digitally recorded without any tape! So I understand the habit of saying tape recorder but please start saying digital recorders! People are going to start to think that they need to carry a boom box on their shoulder if they want to OC! :lol:

Digital recorders around $30 fit in a pocket.

ocholsteroc

I feel guilty everytime I tell someone I am tape recording a show on TV. I use TiVO and it is digitally recorded without any tape! So I understand the habit of saying tape recorder but please start saying digital recorders! People are going to start to think that they need to carry a boom box on their shoulder if they want to OC! :lol:

lol so true. Digital recorders! tape recorders are out.

nuc65

Activist Member
No such law. You ARE required to produce a VADL if you are operating a vehicle but that is it as far as I know. If a LEO asks you if you are CCing and you are, you are required to produce your CHP for the LEO. You are not required to reveal if you are carrying and where. Many will simply volunteer this information but I can think of one circumstance where the difference between producing a CHP and revealing that you are carrying is extremely important. 18.2-308 H

You are not required to produce ID even if you are detained unless the locality you happen to be in has a law which requires you to do so. I'll leave the illegality of those laws to someone more versed in the Dillon Rule.

Yes, 18.2-308.2:2 P2h

of course declaring yourself a sovereign citizen in charge of a vessel and not engaged in interstate commerce therefore not operating a motor vehicle could make for an interesting argument for why you refuse to show id if engaged in a traffic stop

nuc65

Activist Member

I have both, a micro-cassette recorder that is about the same size as my digital recorder and has pretty much the same features.

t33j

Remington Golden Saber HPJ (9mm +P 124gr) (GS9MMD) - Not necessarily my preference but it was available.

Federal HST (45ACP +P 230gr) (P45HST1) - Looked interesting, supposedly pretty good but I've yet to do any tests myself. You could say it's my preference but I'm having a real hard time finding any more.

I don't go through a lot of defense ammo because it's so expensive. I can make .45ACP for pretty darn cheap.

I also carry a recorder (almost any time I'm in public). It's actually a 4GB mp3 player that has a record function. 12hr record time and the rechargeable battery lasts forever. Also comes with a strap so I can hang it from my neck... pretty convenient.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

of course declaring yourself a sovereign citizen in charge of a vessel and not engaged in interstate commerce therefore not operating a motor vehicle could make for an interesting argument for why you refuse to show id if engaged in a traffic stop

If you're literally talking about a seagoing vessel and you are being boarded by the U. S. Coast Guard, they will only ask if you have any firearms aboard your vessel. if so, they ask where they are and either keep everyone away from those areas during the boarding or they will unload the weapon(s) and put the ammo someplace else on the boat during the boarding. The Boarding Officer will tell the Captain of the vessel where he can find the ammo at the conclusion of the boarding. They won't do anything about firearms unless they violate Federal law (Check to see if they are fully auto, if so, they will ask for Class 3 paperwork) and lengths of shotgun and rifle barrels.

t33j

They won't do anything about firearms unless they violate Federal law (Check to see if they are fully auto, if so, they will ask for Class 3 paperwork) and lengths of shotgun and rifle barrels.

I have read in multiple places that the ATF is the only agency you are required to show your class 3 paperwork for. Haven't been able to verify it myself. Know anything about that?

MSC 45ACP

I have read in multiple places that the ATF is the only agency you are required to show your class 3 paperwork for. Haven't been able to verify it myself. Know anything about that?

Dunno about state and local agencies, but any federal LEA can request it. If you don't have paperwork with the Class 3 weapon on your boat, they'll just hold the weapon for safe keeping and give you a receipt for it until you can prove ownership and show that you can own that C-3 weapon. IANAL and I'm not a Fed. LEO anymore. That "was the program" while I was from 83-05. We didn't write down any numbers, ever. We did check all semi-autos to see if they were semi or fully auto. Now that they're under DHS (and we know who runs DHS now), I shudder to think about what they may do now.

I know we're way OT now... I was deeply saddened to hear the Coast Guard actually took part in the ILLEGAL confiscation of guns around New Orleans after the hurricane. It made me sick. I can honestly say I would have REFUSED that illegal order had I been there. I haven't come across anyone I know yet that was involved. I would really like to hear their side of the story.

ODA 226

In Virginia, you are required to be in possession of both the State and Federal registration paperwork while transporting any Class III weapon. Any LEO can legally demand to see both.

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
If you're literally talking about a seagoing vessel and you are being boarded by the U. S. Coast Guard, they will only ask if you have any firearms aboard your vessel. if so, they ask where they are and either keep everyone away from those areas during the boarding or they will unload the weapon(s) and put the ammo someplace else on the boat during the boarding. The Boarding Officer will tell the Captain of the vessel where he can find the ammo at the conclusion of the boarding. They won't do anything about firearms unless they violate Federal law (Check to see if they are fully auto, if so, they will ask for Class 3 paperwork) and lengths of shotgun and rifle barrels.

Nope, not talking about the special class of vessel as a marine vessel would be. The "Boarding" party had better request permission or have a damn good reason for boarding.