• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conspicuously Posted?

NCjones

I was wondering, the local Save More convenience store on Ash St. has "no weapons allowed" signs on the door now. There are a wad of letter-sized signs all over the door about proper ID for beer, this and that, but their "no guns allowed" sign is about the size of a business card! Normally you wouldn't even notice it with all the other crap on the door.

When I asked the cashier why the ban he said "Because we handle a lot of money here."

So, if the signage is suppose to be "conspicuously posted", how conspicuous is a 3x4 inch homemade sign when all the others are 8x11 size?

MK

When I asked the cashier why the ban he said "Because we handle a lot of money here."

Should have taken the opportunity to ask him why he doesn't just put up a "no stealing our money allowed" sign instead. That would at least cut straight to the chase.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Should have taken the opportunity to ask him why he doesn't just put up a "no stealing our money allowed" sign instead. That would at least cut straight to the chase.

THIS!!!!! +100

"No Robberies Allowed"

"No Brandishing"

This should really be the response to any business that posts. It cuts through the ***t and exposes their fallacy.

"Why didn't you just hang a sign that said _______?"

KevlarCowboy

No officer I do not want to press charges for the armed robbery they committed, I want to press charges on them for carrying guns in the store when clearly the sign out side says you cant.

rotorhead

I was wondering, the local Save More convenience store on Ash St. has "no weapons allowed" signs on the door now. There are a wad of letter-sized signs all over the door about proper ID for beer, this and that, but their "no guns allowed" sign is about the size of a business card! Normally you wouldn't even notice it with all the other crap on the door.

So, if the signage is suppose to be "conspicuously posted", how conspicuous is a 3x4 inch homemade sign when all the others are 8x11 size?

In NC there is no standard for sizing, color, borders, font, or any other consideration other than the sign must be posted in a conspicuous location where a person can reasonably be expected to see it.

As I've said a few times, it can be written on a paper plate in crayon and that would legally fulfill the requirements.

Now, would a business card sized sign be something you could maybe challenge legally? Maybe, but it would take a lawsuit to do it. Either way, once you are informed by an employee of a business of their policies, you are now legally informed and must comply with their wishes or run the risk of being charged with trespassing.

But no, NC does not have any standard for signs other than the requirement for it to be placed in a conspicuous location that a person could reasonably see upon entering the business. It doesn't have to be the 8x11 "circle gun" sign many are used to seeing.

NCjones

...that a person could reasonably see upon entering the business.

My beef exactly. Sort of like that tiny mouse print on infomercials that is so small you cant read it.
They have big-ass signs posted all over the doors about whats on sale, etc. and I'm expected to notice a 3x4 inch sign down near the bottom of the door?
I have probably carried ILLEGALLY in there for months without knowing it.

Let's say it takes a person 30 seconds to walk from his car to the door. In that amount of time he is expected to read 20 or 30 signs? Yeah, right.

But I no longer spend my money there anyway, Just pisses me off that they are literally abusing the law. Next they will take down the 3x4 sign and put a 1x 1/2 inch strip of paper "go guns" so they will have room to put another fricking lottery ticket ad on the door.

Last edited: