• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2011 WA State Legislation on guns

FMCDH

I think it is to late to get another bill in but will look into next year to modify our reciprocity to bring in more States.
Getting this one passed will help greatly in having the requirement of other States not issue under the age of 21.

Stepping Stones.

Considering HB 1238 would actually make the state money on the additional licensing fees it would bring in, you would think they would consider it a bit closer. Granted, its only projected to bring in a few hundred thousand over the next 10 years, but still.

A fiscal impact note is now available...
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1238&year=2011

Not sure why the original link doesn't point to the summary page.

Last edited:

jt59

Newly introduced bill

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2011&bill=5592

This bill makes it illegal to carry or display (open) a firearm (and other weapons) on a college campus or sporting event.

If you oppose this, you need to contact the members of the Judiciary committee where it now sits. This bill will take some extra effort to knock down, especially as the chair of the committee is a sponsor. Most certainly he will bring it forward for public hearing and then exec it out to the next committee.

I could not find a corresponding companion bill, but if it makes it through on one side, it will automatically be forwarded to the other house for consideration.

Pay attention!

OrangeIsTrouble

Talked to Shins assistant and left a voicemail on Chases. Not sure how to approach Kline as I will be dealing with him shortly on HB 1238.

I am in college so this effects me. HB1238+SB5592 is big no no. HB 1238 only!

FMCDH

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2011&bill=5592

This bill makes it illegal to carry or display (open) a firearm (and other weapons) on a college campus or sporting event.

If you oppose this, you need to contact the members of the Judiciary committee where it now sits. This bill will take some extra effort to knock down, especially as the chair of the committee is a sponsor. Most certainly he will bring it forward for public hearing and then exec it out to the next committee.

I could not find a corresponding companion bill, but if it makes it through on one side, it will automatically be forwarded to the other house for consideration.

Pay attention!

Message sent to all three state reps. (sigh)
I have no replies as yet from any of them on my earlier letters.

You may want to re-post this in its own thread so people are more likely to see it.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Kline is at it again....... Just out today !

SB 5592 - 2011-12

Concerning weapons in or on the premises of an institution of higher education, or at a college-sponsored event.

Go to documents...

History of Bill

as of Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:01 PM

Sponsors:Senators Shin, Chase, Kline 2011 REGULAR SESSION Jan 31 First reading, referred to Judiciary. (View Original Bill)
Go to history...

skiingislife725

They really are relentless aren't they?!

Here is a helpful template in case anyone is interested. I've got it saved in My Documents folder for easy access when I need to pound out a letter.

Your Address
Phone #

Legislator’s Address
(2 spaces)

Dear Honorable (full name) (address him/her correctly):

State the reason for your letter in the first sentence and the bill # you’d like him her to support and/or brief description. Mention you are a voter in his/her district and you feel it important that he/she knows why this issue is important to you.

State reasons he/she should support your position. Use facts and references to support your opinion. When applicable, put citations of facts using APA style (author’s last name, year). Include references using APA format at the bottom of the page.

Be brief, specific, and concise. Write on only one bill at a time. Best to limit your letter to one page. Never threaten political or other consequences. A positive attitude is important.

Thank him/her for supporting. . . bill #. Tell him her you look forward to his/her response to this issue and follow-up after you receive a reply.

Sincerely,
(4 spaces)

Sign your name
Type your name
Type your position

skiingislife725

And here's what I came up with...too late to change it but feel free to lemme know what you think.

Dear Honorable Senator Kevin Ranker:

As a constituent of your district, I am writing you today to urge you to vote no on SB 5592.

While I am absolutely concerned with the safety of those attending a college campus or a college sporting event, I do not feel that this bill will do anything to actually protect the citizens involved. As much as I don't like it, if someone comes onto a college campus with ill-intent, a law saying that he or she will get in trouble for carrying a weapon is probably the last thing on their mind. Instead, this bill will criminalize an otherwise law-abiding citizen who might be carrying a pocket knife or a legal concealed weapon while passing by a campus or a college event.

What we need are real solutions to protecting those attending college or a university sporting event. Unfortunately, I don't think that bill accomplishes that at all.

Thank you so much for your time. I look forward to your response on this issue.

Sincerely,

Brian A Kirk
AGAINST SB 5592

Whitney

Interpretation

Does this mean the act of carrying a concealed firearm warrant alarm for the safety of other persons? This is very broad.

~Whitney

Subject to the exceptions in subsection (3)(b), (d), and (e) of
18 this section, it is a violation of subsection (1)(b) of this section if
19 the person carries, exhibits, displays, or draws any firearm in or on
20 the premises of an institution of higher education as defined in RCW

21 28B.14H.010, or at a college-sponsored event.
.......​

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display,
or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing
instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing
bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place
that ((either)):
(a) Manifests an intent to intimidate another; or ((that))
(b) Warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

joeroket

Does this mean the act of carrying a concealed firearm warrant alarm for the safety of other persons? This is very broad.

~Whitney

Subject to the exceptions in subsection (3)(b), (d), and (e) of
18 this section, it is a violation of subsection (1)(b) of this section if
19 the person carries, exhibits, displays, or draws any firearm in or on
20 the premises of an institution of higher education as defined in RCW

21 28B.14H.010, or at a college-sponsored event.
.......​

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display,
or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing
instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing
bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place
that ((either)):
(a) Manifests an intent to intimidate another; or ((that))
(b) Warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

It simply states that carrying a firearm in any manner on a college campus or at a college sponsored event is a violation of Section 1. They are trying to infer that the mere possession of a firearm at college is grounds to warrant the alarm for the safety of others. I don't think this would pass constitutional muster as the people that are attending these institutions are adults. It is not even close to the same as prohibiting the possession at a k-12 school.

Last edited:

FMCDH

Reply from Representative Ryu on SB 5592

Thanks for writing, Jason. It is clear that you are a patriot and care deeply for the well-being of our country. Rest assured, I have read your message and I understand your perspective on this bill.

While I am a firm believer in our constitutional freedoms - including our 2nd Amendment right to self-defense - I also believe that all rights come with responsibilities. There is no such thing as an unlimited right - no one can engage in criminal conspiracy or terrorism and then claim that it is "free speech," for example.

Given recent events, and the suffering and death that our law enforcement officials, public servants, and school children have had to suffer, I do not believe that making guns accessible in a school setting will do anything to make us safer. On the contrary, it may make a Virginia Tech-like massacre more likely, not less.

This is a passionate issue, and I understand your frustration. I appreciate your input, and hope that you have a great week.

Best wishes,

Representative Cindy Ryu
32nd Legislative District, Position #1
House Democratic Caucus Assistant Whip serving on:
Transportation, Community Development & Housing, Business & Financial Services, and Rules Committees

Please contact my Legislative Assistant for appointments and other assistance:
(360) 786-7880
PO Box 40600 Modular Office F-106
Olympia, WA 98504-0600

(sigh) :(

DevinWKuska

Bill 1016

First of all I would like to say hello! ^.^ This is my first psoting on this forum after running into "Goose" in a gun store(Imagine that?). Some of these bills seem a little silly, in that I dont see who some of these bills benefit. A great example being carrying a firearm on a snowmobile... is this something that happens alot? I dont think I have met anyone who owns a snowmobile concerned about being able to keep a firearm.

Re: Bill #1016 (Possesion of noise Suppresors)
I am getting into long range shooting and some of the books I read (i.e The Gun Digest Book of Long-Range Shooting By L P Brenzy) suggest suppresors are very helpful in reducing recoil. I can see this as useful both for sport shooting or hunting. So in that respect I hope it passes.

However I STRONGLY would oppose to suppressors on handguns. I dont think any real practical OR legal use for handgun suppresors can be supported. Criminals get guns and do silly things, that much I hope we all know. I am concerned with the use of silenced/suppressed handguns:eek:. Granted the same or worse possibilities exist with rifles, however at this time I cant think of a single reason for handguns to be suppressed other then illegal activities. Hmm.. or maybe military use, I was told military and law enfocement are not exempt? Can anyone confirm that?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
First of all I would like to say hello! ^.^ This is my first psoting on this forum after running into "Goose" in a gun store(Imagine that?). Some of these bills seem a little silly, in that I dont see who some of these bills benefit. A great example being carrying a firearm on a snowmobile... is this something that happens alot? I dont think I have met anyone who owns a snowmobile concerned about being able to keep a firearm.

Re: Bill #1016 (Possesion of noise Suppresors)
I am getting into long range shooting and some of the books I read (i.e The Gun Digest Book of Long-Range Shooting By L P Brenzy) suggest suppresors are very helpful in reducing recoil. I can see this as useful both for sport shooting or hunting. So in that respect I hope it passes.

However I STRONGLY would oppose to suppressors on handguns. I dont think any real practical OR legal use for handgun suppresors can be supported. Criminals get guns and do silly things, that much I hope we all know. I am concerned with the use of silenced/suppressed handguns:eek:. Granted the same or worse possibilities exist with rifles, however at this time I cant think of a single reason for handguns to be suppressed other then illegal activities. Hmm.. or maybe military use, I was told military and law enfocement are not exempt? Can anyone confirm that?

First, welcome to OCDO.

Second, put on your thick skin because you are going to be challenged upon your ideas.

Snowmobiles....why limit any use of firearms, their transportation, etc.... '...shall not be infringed' means just that. Why can I take my firearm in my car, but not be able to protect myself when in the back country in the snow?

Again, as to suppressors... can you name ONE crime in which a supressor was used in the state of Washington. I'll wait....

One reason to use a supressor.... to limit noise at gun ranges in urban settings.....

Again, why support some limits to the 2nd Amendment and not others, who decides? when it says '...shall not be infringed'....

Again, welcome and be ready to defend your ideas....

jeeper1

However I STRONGLY would oppose to suppressors on handguns. I dont think any real practical OR legal use for handgun suppresors can be supported.

Apparently you have never lived within ear shot of a shooting range.
Perhaps people wouldn't dislike them so much if there was less noise coming from them.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Welcome to the board.

however at this time I cant think of a single reason for handguns to be suppressed
other then illegal activities

I was at a local indoor range with a person who had never shot a gun before. Four lanes down was a guy with a large bore pistol. The noise was so bad we had to wait till the person left before she was comfortable to enter the range again.

Here's a video of two .45 pistols
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEOWHc3OHzs

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Concur with gogodawgs on his post and would add that the issue with restrictions on snowmobiles, what is next motorcycles, jeeps, 4 wheelers or even automobiles?

This RCW should have never made it to law to begin with like by those of like thought you are expressing.
RCW 46.10.495 in actually in contradiction of;

RCW 9.41.06 Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
Why would one have a right restricted because they are partaking in an outdoor activity where 2 and 4 legged predators could be a threat.