• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2011 WA State Legislation on guns

jt59

I am requesting that this be made a sticky so that we can better pay attention to issues and opportunities as they arise in this legislative session:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/1238.pdf

Reducing the age from 21 to 18.....

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2011&bill=1041

regarding correctional officers exemptions to carry

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2011&bill=1006

Relating to blade length on knives....it is interesting to note that this is a modification of 9.41 and has the potential of being a place to offer amendments that have been talked about on this forum of language clarification.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2011&bill=1016

suppressors on guns

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2011&bill=1400

Loaded guns on snowmobiles....ok

NEW BILL _ JAN 31, 2011

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2011&bill=5592

Restrictions of carrying on education facilitites and college events

Last edited:

Aaron1124

The first two are good. The last one.. not so much. When it says "Furtively carries with intent to conceal", what is their definition of that? Is a knife in a sheath, which is worn on your belt considered an "open" form of carry? What if your sweatshirt happens to cover up the sheath? Are you now "furtively" carrying it with an "intent" to conceal? They need some definitions otherwise some rogue could go and call a sheathed knife as being "intended to conceal".

Last edited:

acmariner99

What I would like to know is what are the chances of these bills being passed? Obviously the budget is an issue, but I dont see the Governor signing pro-gun legislation into law.

jt59

What I would like to know is what are the chances of these bills being passed? Obviously the budget is an issue, but I dont see the Governor signing pro-gun legislation into law.

It really depends, the first two bills have (IMHO) a shot at passing given the number of folks that have signed on. If there is both D's and R's it can be viewed as a non-partisan issue bill. I know several of the legislators signed on and frankly am a little surprised at a couple of them..the other advantage is that they both have companion bills in the opposing house. That's a big step forward to getting them passed. Insider information has told me that the total number of bills being brought forward this year is going to be substantially reduced. Further, it seems that the word has gone out...."if it cost money, don't bother". That leaves many legislators ranging around for stuff that they can build on their resume's that have a chance to get though (IMHO).

There is no fiscal impact from either so that's not an issue for the Gov., further, these bills can pass into and become law 90 days after legislative approval without the Gov's signing....it gives her political cover.

The last one on knives is not likely to go far, and will hopefully, languish in the committee and not be brought forward. The two legislators that bring it forward are surprisingly not from King County but the penisula and lakewood.

It would be worth while to have it come up for public comment and furtively hoist them on the petard of the language.....with a bunch of folks showing up......a campaign "behind" the scenes to the committee members would also be appropriate....send them a letter outlineing the vaugness of the language and the problems.

.........but here' the politics....Representative Goodman sits on the same committe (public safety) as the knife bill sponsors, and he is also the vice chair of the Judiciary committee and could wield some influence where the bill presently sits...if it goes to public comment and then gets "execed" out, Goodman also sits on the "rules" committee, which is the final committee if a bill makes it that far to request to "pull" it up to the house floor for a vote......if it passes, it automatically goes to the Senate and the process starts over there.

jt

Last edited:

jt59

Isn't there a suppressor bill coming up?

Yes, it is well on it's way with bipartisan support in the house....it has passed out of committee and onto the "rules" committee where it will sit until it gets "pulled" to the floor for a vote.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2011&bill=1016

The Senate bill is still in the Senate Judiciary committee....if we think it is a good idea, then a letter (email) campaign to the members of the committee and especially the chair requesting a public hearing should be done....once it passes out, it will also go to the Senate Rules committee until it gets pulled for a vote on the Senate floor....but it also has many legislator's signed on...Senator Adam Kline, the Chair of the committee will likely decide if it comes up or not....he is prime sponsor on the bill to allow exemptions for guns in the bill posted above.....but it may not mean he is all Pro gun...

It has some traction and me thinks, a pretty good chance...

Last edited:

spike89

I emailed my rep Sherry Appleton, who is listed as one of the bill sponsors, and she says that she has already changed her mind and is asking that it not be heard....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BILL: 1006 (Against)

SUBJECT: Changing the wrong portion of 9.41.50

Sherry, why are you pushing this legislation? It serves no purpose other than to punish those who carry knives with blades longer than 3.5 inches by adding the vague notion of "furtively carrying". I'm pretty sure that stabbing somebody with a blade longer than 3.5 inches is already illegal, so why the urgent need (in light of all the MAJOR BUDGET PROBLEMS) to make carrying such knives for all practical purposes illegal.
If you want to make a change to this law, you should edit the portion that relates to spring loaded knives. Joe Public is prohibited from having one, yet a police officer is allowed to do so... I fail to see why any police officer would need a switchblade or other assisted-opening knife for anything other than defensive use, yet the average citizen is to be untrusted to do the same? Either make them legal or illegal, but get rid of the special privileges for cops.

She sent this response. (Also note the use of the security for safety quote in her signature line):

I am not pushing this legislation. It was not very good on my part and I have asked that it not be heard. Thanks for writing.

Sherry
Sherry V. Appleton
Representative, 23rd Legislative District, Pos. 1
Vice-Chair, State Government and Tribal Affairs
John L. O'Brien Building, 424 P.O. Box 40600 Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 786-7934
Executive Legislative Assistant : Donna Bezon bezon_do@leg.wa.gov
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety".
Ben Franklin

jt59

I emailed my rep Sherry Appleton, who is listed as one of the bill sponsors, and she says that she has already changed her mind and is asking that it not be heard....

BILL: 1006 (Against)

SUBJECT: Changing the wrong portion of 9.41.50

Sherry, why are you pushing this legislation? It serves no purpose other than to punish those who carry knives with blades longer than 3.5 inches by adding the vague notion of "furtively carrying". I'm pretty sure that stabbing somebody with a blade longer than 3.5 inches is already illegal, so why the urgent need (in light of all the MAJOR BUDGET PROBLEMS) to make carrying such knives for all practical purposes illegal.
If you want to make a change to this law, you should edit the portion that relates to spring loaded knives. Joe Public is prohibited from having one, yet a police officer is allowed to do so... I fail to see why any police officer would need a switchblade or other assisted-opening knife for anything other than defensive use, yet the average citizen is to be untrusted to do the same? Either make them legal or illegal, but get rid of the special privileges for cops.

She sent this response. (Also note the use of the security for safety quote in her signature line):

I am not pushing this legislation. It was not very good on my part and I have asked that it not be heard. Thanks for writing.

Sherry
Sherry V. Appleton
Representative, 23rd Legislative District, Pos. 1
Vice-Chair, State Government and Tribal Affairs
John L. O'Brien Building, 424 P.O. Box 40600 Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 786-7934
Executive Legislative Assistant : Donna Bezon bezon_do@leg.wa.gov
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety".
Ben Franklin

Good Job! I sent a message to the other sponsor.....Since we don't have an organized, organization to bird dog this stuff, our grass roots efforts here are important. I would encourage everyone who cares to follow this lead and do the same.

As important is to let our legislators know that we support what they are doing on these other ones as well....so they know we care enough to encourage "good legislation" (or at least that with which we agree).

It is a two step process: Contact the prime of the bill and let him/her know how you feel....then contact the CHAIR of the committe that the bill presently sits....if we want it to move forward, then we have to ask for a public hearing....if they don't see any interest, they may just let it be "left behind" as they move on in the session for a lack of love.

Please post your efforts after you write to them so we can really (and rally) the claim to be a moving force on this forum.....or not.

Your time commitment on this will be no more than 30 minutes....

Last edited:

FMCDH

Sent a letter to my representatives today on each of these items. Will be interesting to see what their responses will be, but I can guess. :rolleyes:

sudden valley gunner

FMCDH

I like, the problem though is enforcement how will you enforce the police not to profile . Motorcycles, OC'ers or Native Wood Carvers?

Someone I know was just harassed by police motorcycle profiling a few weeks ago in Ferndale.

Hey, if the legislature is acknowledging there is a problem and they want to put it on the books, ill take it! It would at least be a step forward. :)

xDayan

I wonder if HB 1238 will get passed... Any clues guys? I just moved down to the Kitsap area and it would be great to be able to CC, or at least OC like I did in Alaska

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Curious as to if this passes how it may effect reciprocity with other states ie as ours is not to issue permits under the age of 21? Will we loose any or gain for that matter?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
AFAIK, none will be lost.
Look at South Dakota. :)

Some states still grant reciprocity, they just limit it to those over 21. See Colorado for an example.

I think it is to late to get another bill in but will look into next year to modify our reciprocity to bring in more States.
Getting this one passed will help greatly in having the requirement of other States not issue under the age of 21.

Stepping Stones.

Last edited: