• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trying to find a Gun for the Gf

Maverick9110e

Alrighty guys, so the GF wants to really get into shooting as well as carrying on her own. And in full support of it and to get her into it i offered to pick her up her first pistol, or at least pay for a good chunk of it. Her biggest issues are size and MUZZLE FLIP not recoil. She like shooting a 1911 full size 45 (who doesnt? lol) but she doesnt like shooting a 9mm or similar due to the flip on the barrel. She likes a 45 because of the push vs flip type of recoil. She is interested in a 380 caliber, she really liked the Walther PK380, and was all set to get it until she realized how goofy (in her mind) the thumb safey was. its just to akward for her to have it push up to fire rather then a normal 1911 style thumb safety.

That being said, shed doesnt like the micro pistols like the bersa and kel tec. She liked the pk380 again mostly due to the size, and the ease of racking the slide. I've tried to get her to look at revolvers but she just doesnt seem to care for them. So this being said i'm sort of at a loss of where to go from here. The other thing is due to our budget constraints somewhere around $450 is the max. I've thought about an M&P compact in a 9mm with a ported barrell to reduce the flip but it goes out of the price range with the $175 barrell. lol. Thanks for the help!

waapl01

Gun for the GF

Alrighty guys, so the GF wants to really get into shooting as well as carrying on her own. And in full support of it and to get her into it i offered to pick her up her first pistol, or at least pay for a good chunk of it. Her biggest issues are size and MUZZLE FLIP not recoil. She like shooting a 1911 full size 45 (who doesnt? lol) but she doesnt like shooting a 9mm or similar due to the flip on the barrel. She likes a 45 because of the push vs flip type of recoil. She is interested in a 380 caliber, she really liked the Walther PK380, and was all set to get it until she realized how goofy (in her mind) the thumb safey was. its just to akward for her to have it push up to fire rather then a normal 1911 style thumb safety.

That being said, shed doesnt like the micro pistols like the bersa and kel tec. She liked the pk380 again mostly due to the size, and the ease of racking the slide. I've tried to get her to look at revolvers but she just doesnt seem to care for them. So this being said i'm sort of at a loss of where to go from here. The other thing is due to our budget constraints somewhere around $450 is the max. I've thought about an M&P compact in a 9mm with a ported barrell to reduce the flip but it goes out of the price range with the $175 barrell. lol. Thanks for the help!

How about a Ruger LCP .380?

irish52084

Try out a cz82or 83. The 82 is in 9mm makarov and the 83 is the same gun in .380. The 9mm makarov is a little more powerful than the 380, but ammo choices are more limited unless you look online. My GF had some of the same issues with recoil and finding a pistol that felt good to her until she shot my cz82. First time she shot it she told me she wanted it and I could never sell it. The other positive of the cz82/83 is price. They are both easily in your budget and I know the 82's come with luminescent sights and the 82/83 can use cz 75 replacement sights if you want traditional night sights.

emtechnik

When it comes to a matter of life or death, do you want to have a "compromise" gun because of the price? It will last you years and years (in theory) and the $100-300 more money spent on your gun will mean nothing the moment you walk out the door with the gun you WANT or the one that meets your needs. I highly recommend the m&p 9c. It is above your budget but compared to the similarly priced competition it blows them all away imo. For your budget you'd be looking at possibly a kel-tec but I have heard that they have major recoil issues and many can't handle large amounts +p or +p+ ammo. Trust me, if you decide on an m&p you will have a happy girlfriend indeed.

hogeaterf6

Bersa Thunder .380, and the Plus model. I carry the plus. It has 15+1, the other have about 8 rounds. Several different models in the .380. The ol lady tried all the autos at the gun show and liked the bersa the best. She ended up getting a .38 revolver which fit her hand better.
They are a good sized .380 and not small as the Rugers. I'm not a fan of hammerless guns and Bersa's have a hammer. For $300 you get a great gun.

45acpForMe

Since she likes 45s how about a Taurus PT145.

It has 10+1, thumb safety and "can" fit in a pocket. I carry one as my BUG and my 14 year old daughter has discovered it and likes the size, feel of it while shooting.

There are more expensive options like a Kahr PM45 or P45 or even a Sig P220 Carry or Compact.

The Taurus won't break the bank and is fun to shoot. If you get her something she likes to shoot she will continue shooting. :)

ETA: I have a Kahr P380 and like it alot (nice trigger, felt recoil). My younger daughter can shoot it too. I would only recommend a larger ."4" caliber for a SD gun.

Last edited:

r1dramma

Ruger LC9 should be in stores in a few weeks! Worth a try, I know it's a 9mm but who knows she might like it. I bought my gf the LCP, now she wants the LC9 she can't wait!!

Attachments

• lc9b.jpg
    lc9b.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 104

George Mann

First of all, I believe that whatever gun of the biggest caliber that you can steadily hit the target with is the best when it comes to reliably stopping an opponent.

However, there is often other criteria that must be met as well. The way the gun is going to be worn is probably the greatest (and you did mention size). For me, the best gun is the one that I will carry the most, but the effectiveness of its caliber is still a vital concern.

I personally will not carry anything less than a good compact .38 with the right grip, and the best ammo (balistically) available for it.

Believe it or not, a 1911 is one of the easiest guns to conceal, and the commander is just about the perfect tradeoff, while maintaining good handle-ability. I would not overlook it!

George Mann

For the record, I carry a Sig P220 Carry(.45acp). This gun has stout muzzle-flip, and requires a firm wrist and steady aim.

It is also rather large and heavy for a compact, making it less than ideal for conceal-carry.

One thing I can say is that it is both accurate and reliable!

Maverick9110e

We have looked at the Kahr's most seem to be micro style. Thanks for the Tip on the CZ, their interesting. Also the Taurus i apparently showed her, lol she mentioned i showed it to her 3 times already, lol. Although the list price on it almost makes me lean more towards an M&P. But since it's available in a .380 its interesting. I'm going to try her out on a FS 9 as opposed to a compact (which she did shoot) I think she'll wind up OC'ing much more often the CC'ing.

George Mann

We have looked at the Kahr's most seem to be micro style. Thanks for the Tip on the CZ, their interesting. Also the Taurus i apparently showed her, lol she mentioned i showed it to her 3 times already, lol. Although the list price on it almost makes me lean more towards an M&P. But since it's available in a .380 its interesting. I'm going to try her out on a FS 9 as opposed to a compact (which she did shoot) I think she'll wind up OC'ing much more often the CC'ing.

M&P's are excellent guns. Probably the best mass produced semi-auto's available.

However, I have had nothing but trouble with the Taurus's, mainly accuracy and reliability issues, and terrible service to boot!

45acpForMe

M&P's are excellent guns. Probably the best mass produced semi-auto's available.

However, I have had nothing but trouble with the Taurus's, mainly accuracy and reliability issues, and terrible service to boot!

+1 on the M&P. I shot a friends and it had a nice trigger and felt great.

Taurus is hit or miss. While some have had lemons mine have been pretty solid. Any gun is better than no gun, and a gun with you is better than one left at home. So what you can afford and what is comfortable (meaning you will take it with you and carry it) matters. For $350 the Taurus I have is a great gun. If you can afford an M&P it is a better gun.

People sometimes skimp $100-$200 on a gun but when facing a bad guy having that extra reliability and accuracy counts. How much is your life worth comes into play except that some people honestly can't afford to spend next months food money on a gun. :-( So with your money and perhaps some she kicks in maybe you can get a better gun than Taurus. Happy gun shopping, almost as fun as shooting them!

Dreamer

If she's OK with recoil, but doesn't like muzzle flip, stay away from the lightweight, polymer frame handguns. The lower weight and mass of the receivers let them flip more--even with slow rounds like the .45acp...

Look at an EAA Witness in .45acp. They are built a lot like a Browning Hi-Power, are about the same size and weight as a 1911, and have big grips so they are easy to control. Have her try one if you can find a range that rents them.

Or look at a double-stack Para Ordnance. They are a little on the big size, an can be hard to hold if she has small hands, but the extra weight and mass makes them REALLY easy to control, and they are, for all intents and purposes, a 1911 clone...

Maverick9110e

Thanks for the tips. The only thing is that the 1911 clones tend to be a little on the price side. Looking into a 1911 in the commander size. Rock Island Armory seems to make something in that price range, although idk how their quality is. You still get what you pay for these days.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Actually most of the Kahr line is not in the micro category IF you are of a mind to consider a 9mm or larger. If you and her are willing to go a little bit higher in price, a Kahr K9 is an excellent choice for her to consider. All steel, low bore axis (helps to reduce muzzle flip and felt recoil and increase sight acqusition), an excellent grip angle, and a great size for smaller hands and women in general.