Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry sir, this is a federal buildiing.

Sorry sir, this is a federal buildiing.

So I thought this would be a funny story to share, I went into my local Bank of America with my girlfriend so that she could get some cash out and put it in my account to pay the rent. Usually we would just use the drive up ATM, but she has not had a card for the last 4 months. They kept canceling her card because it was " involved with a bunch of other cards in a major fraud". This is now the 5th card that has been caught up in this fraud deal and she was ready to leave the bank. So we got out of the car and walked up to the bank to be greeted by the guard who told me I could not carry in the building. I politely asked him why and he said that it was Bank of America's company policy. I asked him if he was sure of this and he said he was pretty sure. I then asked for a manager and he went in to get one. My girlfriend went in to do her business because she was not carrying. The manager came out and said that it is the company policy not to allow guns in the building because it is a federal building. I told him that they are privately owned and this is not a federal building. He seemed convinced that it was a federal building because they are insured by the FDIC. I told him that it is just an insurance policy and does not make you part of the federal government. He stood his ground and would not let me in to do business. My girlfriend came out and looked very upset so I asked for his name and their corporate phone number which he went and got for me, then offered to let me in if I put my gun in the car. I told him I would not do this so he went back inside. The guard said he was pretty sure they were federal property because he was not able to work at their main office once because he had a warrant for a traffic ticket. I told him that it was because they did not want an armed guard with a warrant at their main office, not because it was federal property. I thanked him for his time and let him know that it was not his fault he was given incorrect information, then got back in my car to leave. I asked my girlfriend why she seemed upset and she told me that the manager and the clerks were making fun of the idea of someone trying to bring a gun inside while she was waiting to talk to the same manager about why she still can not get a debit card. This was pretty much the last straw with that company so we decided to find a new bank. We did some research and found that Nevada Federal Credit Union sounded like a really nice bank. The board of directors is people who live here in Nevada, and every account owner has a vote in their elections. We went to the branch closest to us and started to open new accounts. I had to run home to get an updated proof of residence so she asked a lot of questions and was really happy with the answers she got. When I came back I told the clerk that I had only one questions, and that was what is their policy on firearms in their branches. She told me that as long as it is carried safely and it is a legal weapon to own their did not care. She told me that Nevada law allows open carry and if I have the correct permit I can conceal carry with no problems at all. I told her my story and she started laughing, then told me of a similar issue she and her husband had at a restaurant a while back. I let her know that I was really happy with the answer and was excited to open a new account with her company. After ten or so minutes of chit chat she let me know that she has her CCW and carries every day, even at work. I just want to let everyone know that they have employees that know the law and are happy to help someone who decides to openly carry.

Thumbs up

I'll confirm the open carry freedom at Nevada FCU. I OC all the time at the branch on Craig Rd in North Las Vegas.
    "Let your gun be your companion on all your walks."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    who might have wished he carried my .45ACP G-36 1+6+1

Gncu

- You can't carry that gun in here, this is a Federal building.
    - It's OK, it's loaded with Federal ammunition.

The Greater Nevada Credit Union branch near my home has a sign on its front door prohibiting firearms. (I know it has no legal weight but it does indicate you may be hassled or trespassed for OC.)

Ive been hearing of this happening a lot lately! I was talking with a friend who's wife is a bank manager at a Wells Fargo branch and she told me I was stupid to carry in a bank and that it was a federal building! I looked at her and told her that was not the case and I carry in other WF branches all the time. She said well if you come into mine we will kick you out and we can close your account for it!

I was really in shock! I told her if she was sure of it lets put some money on the line! So I offered up $1000 and we could contact her district manager or go higher if she wanted to. After I said that she kinda backed down and said she would look into more! Needless to say she hasn't said anymore about it and I haven't tried to go into her branch yet but I will!!!!!

I explained to her about the FDIC and she said exactly we're federally owned! Oh well some people will never understand!

I bank mainly with Silver State Schools Credit Union and have never had an issue with any of their branches whether its a stand alone or a in the grocery store branch they have all been respectful and Ive even had tellers tell me they feel safer when im around!

Also good job on handling the situation the way you did just make sure to follow up on it so they do get the right information or they will continue to do the same to others!

Red face

+2

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    - You can't carry that gun in here, this is a Federal building.
    - It's OK, it's loaded with Federal ammunition.

The Greater Nevada Credit Union branch near my home has a sign on its front door prohibiting firearms. (I know it has no legal weight but it does indicate you may be hassled or trespassed for OC.)

I carried many times into the Bank of America Branch in CHesapeake, VA without any problems.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

28kfps
    No problem at BofA in Pahrump and a few random BofAs in Las Vegas. Thanks for sharing the story. Which branch? If giving the chance I stop by go to a teller instead of the ATM.

Campaign Veteran
    I also have had no problems with Bank of America, although Wells Fargo has hassled me.

Nevada Federal is a good bank, and I have an account with them too. The branch at Rainbow & Alta is posted "No sunglasses or firearms". Since I started working at night, I've become pretty sun sensitive, so one day while depositing a check, I went in, you guessed it, Sunglasses and OC. Even went in the branch managers office after the deposit since I had a few questions about my ATM card. Friendly as can be, and never a word about my sunglasses or my glock.

A Bank of America is no more a federal building than my house is the property of Allstate, or my car the property of Progressive. Heck, at least Nevada Federal Credit Union has the word Federal in it! The comment on the federal ammo had me chuckling, very nice

Quote Originally Posted by timf343 View Post
    I also have had no problems with Bank of America, although Wells Fargo has hassled me.

Nevada Federal is a good bank, and I have an account with them too. The branch at Rainbow & Alta is posted "No sunglasses or firearms". Since I started working at night, I've become pretty sun sensitive, so one day while depositing a check, I went in, you guessed it, Sunglasses and OC. Even went in the branch managers office after the deposit since I had a few questions about my ATM card. Friendly as can be, and never a word about my sunglasses or my glock.

A Bank of America is no more a federal building than my house is the property of Allstate, or my car the property of Progressive. Heck, at least Nevada Federal Credit Union has the word Federal in it! The comment on the federal ammo had me chuckling, very nice
    I suspect you uncovered a rogue branch manager at that Nevada FCU on Rainbow. It's the sort of thing an anti-2A type would try to get away with, expecting/hoping nobody would call them on it.

Have you considered asking the branch manager why theirs is the (probably) only branch that has such a notice posted? It's certainly not posted on my local branch on Craig Rd. If it does get posted, I'll be the branch manager's office like a starving dog on a meat truck! Those people work for us, the voting members of the credit union.

Credit unions are truly very responsive to their members. The board of directors are local volunteer folks, and a letter addressed to the Chairman of the Board will get reviewed at their regular monthly meeting. I'm pretty darn sure that branch manager would get corrected.

It really Ps me O when somebody tries to impose their own values despite a general policy and practice, particularly when it's about something this important.
    Last edited by Vegas Rick; 01-18-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: sp
    -- Thomas Jefferson

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    The Greater Nevada Credit Union branch near my home has a sign on its front door prohibiting firearms.
    I would talk to the manager and ask him if he thinks that keeps the robbers away . . ?

"Sorry sir, this is a federal building..."

And these people guard our money.......
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    "Sorry sir, this is a federal building..."

And these people guard our money.......

and this just MIGHT EXPLAIN MOST OF THE PROBLEMS!--- this same attitude in Washington and in many State Capitols by those elected to represent us and who seem to THINK THEIR JOB IS TO GET RE-ELECTED!

Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    No problem at BofA in Pahrump and a few random BofAs in Las Vegas. Thanks for sharing the story. Which branch? If giving the chance I stop by go to a teller instead of the ATM.
    The one on Durango, between 215N and Deer Springs.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleAgentMan View Post
    Nevada Federal Credit Union
    Ummmm..... Aren't they owned by the Federal Government? They have Federal in their name!!!!

OP, paragraphs would make reading that easier.

Other then that, Reno area Wells Fargo never gave me crud for OC.

*Update*

I just spoke with a rep over the phone and they said that it is based on state and local laws, but the manager has discretion on who is allowed in the building. So being denied entry based on me solely having a firearm is not their policy, but since the branch manager did not want me in it was his right.

I just spoke with a rep over the phone and they said that it is based on state and local laws, but the manager has discretion on who is allowed in the building. So being denied entry based on me solely having a firearm is not their policy, but since the branch manager did not want me in it was his right.
    Close account. Fixt.

The issue of discretion as to who is allowed in the branch is a general policy. It is intended to let a branch manager prohibit and eject abusive, disruptive, and undesirable social types. I don't believe it extends to this issue. Your branch manager is putting his own interpretation on who is anti-social. The manager's "rights" trump 2A? I don't think so.

As a credit union member using that branch, you'd be fully and properly justified in lodging a complaint up the food chain, with the Executive Office or with the Board of Directors. If you're not satisfied with your branch manager imposing his/her values on the members using that branch, let the decision-makers know.

Shooting off an e-mail to the credit union would just be handled by member services, which only gets you another rep's parroting of the general policy. Member service reps, like the one you talked to, cannot deal with policy issues like this.

Sending a snail-mail letter addressed to the CEO will get you the most attention. The credit union's President/CEO is Brad Beal, who is a really nice guy and very interested in hearing member's concerns. If you really want to push the issue, ask and I bet he'd even be willing to have a meeting with you to hear your concern.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Rick View Post
    The manager's "rights" trump 2A? I don't think so.
    The Bill of Rights does not protect us against private individuals or businesses, only against the government.

I was at my Doctors office for an appointment. The office manager a light in the loafers type come over to me and tells me that they have a no gun policy in the office.

I ask where is the sign? "That is our policy? I tell him I am here to see my Doctor and as a retired LEO and a possessor of a CCW permit I am allowed to take my gun anywhere except goverment buildings, schools etc and he is not impressed.

I ask if I do not dump the gun are you going to ask me to leave? He has no reply. I tell him that I am here to see my doctor and not to discuss your Anti2A policies. He walks away. I see my doctor. I ask her about it. She knows nothing about an anti weapon policy in her office and sez she will look into it.

She does and calls me at home advising me that she had been accumulating documentation to dismiss her office manager for some time and this final straw should be enuf to do the trick and would I testify in court if suit is brought against her.

I told her I would be there like white on rice if needed.

This was a clear case of some knuckleheaded liberal foisting his agenda without the backing of the head of the operation because he thought nobody would care enuf to complain. Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by crash corrigan View Post
    i was at my doctors office for an appointment. The office manager a light in the loafers type come over to me and tells me that they have a no gun policy in the office.

I ask where is the sign? "that is our policy? I tell him i am here to see my doctor and as a retired leo and a possessor of a ccw permit i am allowed to take my gun anywhere except goverment buildings, schools etc and he is not impressed.

I ask if i do not dump the gun are you going to ask me to leave? He has no reply. I tell him that i am here to see my doctor and not to discuss your anti2a policies. He walks away. I see my doctor. I ask her about it. She knows nothing about an anti weapon policy in her office and sez she will look into it.

She does and calls me at home advising me that she had been accumulating documentation to dismiss her office manager for some time and this final straw should be enuf to do the trick and would i testify in court if suit is brought against her.

I told her i would be there like white on rice if needed.

This was a clear case of some knuckleheaded liberal foisting his agenda without the backing of the head of the operation because he thought nobody would care enuf to complain. Wrong.
    fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

in case anyone wants to switch from BofA or Wells. JP Morgan Chase is very gun friendly!

Question on FDIC.

These managers that say that being FDIC insured makes them a Federal building make it sound like the builiding is insured by the FDIC.

I thought that only the money was insured by the FDIC, not the building itself.

For instance. BG robs bank and shoots up the place. FDIC would cover the loss of physical monies. The damage done by bullets would be covered by a different and private insurance carrier.

Is this right or wrong?
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Question on FDIC.

These managers that say that being FDIC insured makes them a Federal building make it sound like the builiding is insured by the FDIC.

I thought that only the money was insured by the FDIC, not the building itself.

For instance. BG robs bank and shoots up the place. FDIC would cover the loss of physical monies. The damage done by bullets would be covered by a different and private insurance carrier.

Is this right or wrong?
    Actually, I believe a bank robbery and/or damage and/or liability would be covered by a traditional insurance company, like State Farm or such. FDIC only comes into play if the bank fails.

http://www.fdic.gov/about/affaq.html

Q. What is the FDIC?
    A. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) preserves and promotes public confidence in the U.S. financial system by insuring depositors for at least $250,000 per insured bank; by identifying, monitoring and addressing risks to the deposit insurance funds; and by limiting the effect on the economy and the financial system when a bank or thrift institution fails
    Last edited by paul@paul-fisher.com; 02-15-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Paul is 100% correct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast