Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Press Coverage of Lobby Day 2011

Press Coverage of Lobby Day 2011

I couldn't go today, but I can post links to the news coverage as it starts to show up!

TFred

Richmond Times-Dispatch

Gun supporters converge on state Capitol

Nearly 300 pro-gun advocates converged on the state Capitol this morning to lobby legislators to protect their rights to bear arms in the commonwealth.

Gun-toting activists wearing black and orange stickers stating "Guns Save Lives" and red, white and blue stickers saying "Freedom is not a Loophole," roamed the halls of the General Assembly Building on Capitol Square in Richmond before assembly near the Capitol Bell Tower for a late-morning rally sponsored by the pro-gun Virginia Citizens Defense League.

"This is one of the safest places in Richmond right now," said VCDL president Phil Van Cleave, who estimated that more than 200 firearms were present.

NBC News - Washington

Gun Rallies in Richmond

The national debate on guns will play out on the streets of Richmond Monday.

The Martin Luther King holiday has unofficially become "lobby day" in Virginia's capital, attracting interest groups from across the state to make their case.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League will be there to make argue for firearm deregulation. Wearing "Guns Save Lives" stickers, the organization members are supporting two dozen pro-gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Gun Rallies in Richmond

The national debate on guns will play out on the streets of Richmond Monday.

The Martin Luther King holiday has unofficially become "lobby day" in Virginia's capital, attracting interest groups from across the state to make their case.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League will be there to make argue for firearm deregulation. Wearing "Guns Save Lives" stickers, the organization members are supporting two dozen pro-gun laws.
    "They also support another proposal that would allow LICENSED Virginia gun owners to carry a concealed handgun without a permit." HUH?

Here's another (pathetic) story from The Daily Press

http://www.dailypress.com/sns-ap-va-...,6528460.story

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post

Deseret News: Looks like the full AP article here - some photos too

Activists: Shootings no excuse to curb gun rights

Philip Van Cleave, president of the pro-gun Virginia Citizens Defense League, said many gun owners are concerned that gun rights will be under attack because of the recent shooting.

"Is the issue guns — a piece of metal — or is the issue the person behind the gun that's using it unlawfully?" Van Cleave said as police on horseback, bike and foot looked on. " ... In the end that's all it boils down to: It's all about the person and not the inanimate object."

WaPo Virginia Politics Blog

Tea party groups rally with fewer numbers but equal enthusiasm to last year

A few hundred activists affiliated with Virginia Tea Party groups rallied in Richmond on Monday as part of a day-long series of events by advocacy groups timed to coincide with the Martin Luther King Day Jr. holiday.

The groups drew a noticeably smaller crowd than last year, when more than 1,000 tea party activists attended a rally intended to urge support for a new state law targeting federal health-care reform by saying it is illegal to require individuals to purchase health insurance in Virginia.

The tea party groups last year joined forces, however, with other organizations that urge gun rights. This year, the enthusiasts for the two causes held separate events. A somewhat larger crowd attended a rally for the pro-gun rights group Virginia Citizens Defense League on Monday morning.

MyFoxDC: Article on the anti-gun rally

Dozens Rally Against Relaxing Virginia's Weapons Laws

RICHMOND, Va. - Dozens of gun control activists gathered at the Capitol to remember Martin Luther King Jr. and to fight against bills that would relax Virginia's gun laws.

Monday's vigil was held hours after hundreds of gun-toting citizens gathered to support bills that, if passed, would place Virginia among states with the weakest gun controls in the nation.

[...]

About 70 people lay down in protest for three minutes, the average time it takes to purchase a gun.

[TFred: Of course this is ridiculous... it takes three times that long just to fill out the paperwork, and I've never had an approval come back in less than half an hour...]

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    My sentiments exactly. And I was there!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/po...113894239.html

Carl

Edit: Missed the first one. My fault.
    Last edited by t11spanner; 01-17-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Gun-toting?

Nearly 300 pro-gun advocates converged on the state Capitol this morning to lobby legislators to protect their rights to bear arms in the commonwealth.

Gun-toting activists wearing black and orange stickers stating "Guns Save Lives" and red, white and blue stickers saying "Freedom is not a Loophole," roamed the halls of the General Assembly Building on Capitol Square in Richmond before assembly near the Capitol Bell Tower for a late-morning rally sponsored by the pro-gun Virginia Citizens Defense League.

"This is one of the safest places in Richmond right now," said VCDL president Phil Van Cleave, who estimated that more than 200 firearms were present.
    Frankly, I was -bearing- my Sig P239 in a new Ray Cory, Pancake with 15 degree forward cant. When I found out Ray was contributing the cost of Dan Hawes' holsters, to Skidmark's defense, I ordered one! It's sweeeet!

Observation of the rally: Of all the speakers ( and they were all good!) NONE mentioned or said the word "democracy" in their speeches. Many "commonwealth's" and a few "republic's" but not one "democracy". How very refreshing!!

Notice that although several of the news stories mentioned Colin Goddard and the screening of his film "Living for 32", NONE of them mentioned the fact that he is a full-time employee of the Brady Campaign.

Follow the money, people...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Notice that although several of the news stories mentioned Colin Goddard and the screening of his film "Living for 32", NONE of them mentioned the fact that he is a full-time employee of the Brady Campaign.

Follow the money, people...
    Propaganda pays... just ask AlGore, Inc.

TFred

The AP reporter also hit me up for comment, I'm at the end of the AP story:
    Ian Branson of Vienna said the shooting in Arizona is unfortunate, but limiting citizens' freedom isn't the answer. He supports all the attempts to ease gun laws.
    "We are 100 percent determined to get firearms laws reduced to the point that 'shall not be infringed' is the law of the land," Branson said.

I also spoke for a VERY long time /w Fred Kunkle from the Post. I recorded the conversation, we'll see how that turns out once he gets the story online.
    Last edited by IanB; 01-17-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post

"Dozens of Gun Control activists"............

I'm still looking for one of those 3 minute VSP approvals - isn't that the perfect soft boiled egg comment - all soft and runny in the center.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedshoplifter View Post
    Many carried guns ... including a man who waited outside his state senator's office with a semiautomatic AR-15 rifle on his shoulder.
    I know it wasn't a rifle, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. Out of the article that's what will probably stand out the most to a lot of people.
    Last edited by Curtis; 01-17-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

"t33j" Thanks for posting those pics. What I find particularly interesting is the number of women who are actively participating, and the WIDE age range of the participants. It's good to see an audience that isn't just middle-aged paunchy white guys in camo, like we usually see in some other states in the DC area...

Looks like an articulate, aware, broad cross-section of the citizenry of Virginia.

Good on ya, guys (and gals!). Keep your "servants" in Richmond in line, and keep VA a FREE state--you've got your work cut out, being flanked to the East and North by two of the most virulent pockets of 2A hatred in the US.

I wish we could do this--but in NC, our overlords in Raleigh passed laws that prevent law-abiding citizens from exercising our fundamental human rights on State property...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 01-17-2011 at 10:53 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    "t33j" Thanks for posting those pics. What I find particularly interesting is the number of women who are actively participating, and the WIDE age range of the participants. It's good to see an audience that isn't just middle-aged paunchy white guys in camo, like we usually see in some other states in the DC area...

Looks like an articulate, aware, broad cross-section of the citizenry of Virginia.

Good on ya, guys (and gals!). Keep your "servants" in Richmond in line, and keep VA a FREE state--you've got your work cut out, being flanked to the East and North by two of the most virulent pockets of 2A hatred in the US.

I wish we could do this--but in NC, our overlords in Raleigh passed laws that prevent law-abiding citizens from exercising our fundamental human rights on State property...
    NP! I'm sure peter_nap will post more and better ones in a couple days along with video whenever he gets done processing it. I was especially proud to be a Virginian today.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

So the pink Glock might belong to me :0)

Quote Originally Posted by nakedshoplifter View Post
    "Some 30,000 Americans die each year in the United States," Goddard said.
    With less than .0001% of the U.S. population dying death year, you would expect the annual population growth to be much higher in this country.

Either Goddard needs to think about what he is saying before he opens his mouth to spout off statistics, or the WaPost reporter needs to do a better job of quoting sources.
    Last edited by VApatriot; 01-17-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Up early and home late for those from the outreaches of the state. A more dedicated group would be hard to find. VCDL and OCDO rock!

Lots more work to be done though. Look for Va-Alerts about things to which you be called upon to respond with emails, phone calls and letters. These methods keep our goals and objectives front and center before our representatives. When there is a critical committee meeting, come lend a hand if you have the opportunity to spare a little more time - the help is always appreciated.

Remember they are your rights ......... and the rights of your children.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast