• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Press Coverage of Lobby Day 2011

TFred

Richmond Times-Dispatch

Gun supporters converge on state Capitol

Nearly 300 pro-gun advocates converged on the state Capitol this morning to lobby legislators to protect their rights to bear arms in the commonwealth.

Gun-toting activists wearing black and orange stickers stating "Guns Save Lives" and red, white and blue stickers saying "Freedom is not a Loophole," roamed the halls of the General Assembly Building on Capitol Square in Richmond before assembly near the Capitol Bell Tower for a late-morning rally sponsored by the pro-gun Virginia Citizens Defense League.

"This is one of the safest places in Richmond right now," said VCDL president Phil Van Cleave, who estimated that more than 200 firearms were present.

TFred

NBC News - Washington

Gun Rallies in Richmond

The national debate on guns will play out on the streets of Richmond Monday.

The Martin Luther King holiday has unofficially become "lobby day" in Virginia's capital, attracting interest groups from across the state to make their case.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League will be there to make argue for firearm deregulation. Wearing "Guns Save Lives" stickers, the organization members are supporting two dozen pro-gun laws.

SicSemperTyrannis

Gun Rallies in Richmond

The national debate on guns will play out on the streets of Richmond Monday.

The Martin Luther King holiday has unofficially become "lobby day" in Virginia's capital, attracting interest groups from across the state to make their case.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League will be there to make argue for firearm deregulation. Wearing "Guns Save Lives" stickers, the organization members are supporting two dozen pro-gun laws.

"They also support another proposal that would allow LICENSED Virginia gun owners to carry a concealed handgun without a permit." HUH?

nova

:rolleyes:
barf_smiley.gif

TFred

Deseret News: Looks like the full AP article here - some photos too

Activists: Shootings no excuse to curb gun rights

Philip Van Cleave, president of the pro-gun Virginia Citizens Defense League, said many gun owners are concerned that gun rights will be under attack because of the recent shooting.

"Is the issue guns — a piece of metal — or is the issue the person behind the gun that's using it unlawfully?" Van Cleave said as police on horseback, bike and foot looked on. " ... In the end that's all it boils down to: It's all about the person and not the inanimate object."

TFred

WaPo Virginia Politics Blog

Tea party groups rally with fewer numbers but equal enthusiasm to last year

A few hundred activists affiliated with Virginia Tea Party groups rallied in Richmond on Monday as part of a day-long series of events by advocacy groups timed to coincide with the Martin Luther King Day Jr. holiday.

The groups drew a noticeably smaller crowd than last year, when more than 1,000 tea party activists attended a rally intended to urge support for a new state law targeting federal health-care reform by saying it is illegal to require individuals to purchase health insurance in Virginia.

The tea party groups last year joined forces, however, with other organizations that urge gun rights. This year, the enthusiasts for the two causes held separate events. A somewhat larger crowd attended a rally for the pro-gun rights group Virginia Citizens Defense League on Monday morning.

TFred

MyFoxDC: Article on the anti-gun rally

Dozens Rally Against Relaxing Virginia's Weapons Laws

RICHMOND, Va. - Dozens of gun control activists gathered at the Capitol to remember Martin Luther King Jr. and to fight against bills that would relax Virginia's gun laws.

Monday's vigil was held hours after hundreds of gun-toting citizens gathered to support bills that, if passed, would place Virginia among states with the weakest gun controls in the nation.

[...]

About 70 people lay down in protest for three minutes, the average time it takes to purchase a gun.

[TFred: Of course this is ridiculous... it takes three times that long just to fill out the paperwork, and I've never had an approval come back in less than half an hour...]

AtackDuck

Gun-toting?

Gun supporters converge on state Capitol

Nearly 300 pro-gun advocates converged on the state Capitol this morning to lobby legislators to protect their rights to bear arms in the commonwealth.

Gun-toting activists wearing black and orange stickers stating "Guns Save Lives" and red, white and blue stickers saying "Freedom is not a Loophole," roamed the halls of the General Assembly Building on Capitol Square in Richmond before assembly near the Capitol Bell Tower for a late-morning rally sponsored by the pro-gun Virginia Citizens Defense League.

"This is one of the safest places in Richmond right now," said VCDL president Phil Van Cleave, who estimated that more than 200 firearms were present.

Frankly, I was -bearing- my Sig P239 in a new Ray Cory, Pancake with 15 degree forward cant. When I found out Ray was contributing the cost of Dan Hawes' holsters, to Skidmark's defense, I ordered one! It's sweeeet!

Observation of the rally: Of all the speakers ( and they were all good!) NONE mentioned or said the word "democracy" in their speeches. Many "commonwealth's" and a few "republic's" but not one "democracy". How very refreshing!!

Dreamer

Notice that although several of the news stories mentioned Colin Goddard and the screening of his film "Living for 32", NONE of them mentioned the fact that he is a full-time employee of the Brady Campaign.

Follow the money, people...

IanB

The AP reporter also hit me up for comment, I'm at the end of the AP story:
Ian Branson of Vienna said the shooting in Arizona is unfortunate, but limiting citizens' freedom isn't the answer. He supports all the attempts to ease gun laws.
"We are 100 percent determined to get firearms laws reduced to the point that 'shall not be infringed' is the law of the land," Branson said.

I also spoke for a VERY long time /w Fred Kunkle from the Post. I recorded the conversation, we'll see how that turns out once he gets the story online.

Last edited:

curtiswr

Last edited: