• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Press Coverage of Lobby Day 2011

Dreamer

"t33j" Thanks for posting those pics. What I find particularly interesting is the number of women who are actively participating, and the WIDE age range of the participants. It's good to see an audience that isn't just middle-aged paunchy white guys in camo, like we usually see in some other states in the DC area...

Looks like an articulate, aware, broad cross-section of the citizenry of Virginia.

Good on ya, guys (and gals!). Keep your "servants" in Richmond in line, and keep VA a FREE state--you've got your work cut out, being flanked to the East and North by two of the most virulent pockets of 2A hatred in the US.

I wish we could do this--but in NC, our overlords in Raleigh passed laws that prevent law-abiding citizens from exercising our fundamental human rights on State property...

Last edited:

t33j

"t33j" Thanks for posting those pics. What I find particularly interesting is the number of women who are actively participating, and the WIDE age range of the participants. It's good to see an audience that isn't just middle-aged paunchy white guys in camo, like we usually see in some other states in the DC area...

Looks like an articulate, aware, broad cross-section of the citizenry of Virginia.

Good on ya, guys (and gals!). Keep your "servants" in Richmond in line, and keep VA a FREE state--you've got your work cut out, being flanked to the East and North by two of the most virulent pockets of 2A hatred in the US.

I wish we could do this--but in NC, our overlords in Raleigh passed laws that prevent law-abiding citizens from exercising our fundamental human rights on State property...

NP! I'm sure peter_nap will post more and better ones in a couple days along with video whenever he gets done processing it. I was especially proud to be a Virginian today.

mrsjero1987

Gun supporters converge on state Capitol

Nearly 300 pro-gun advocates converged on the state Capitol this morning to lobby legislators to protect their rights to bear arms in the commonwealth.

Gun-toting activists wearing black and orange stickers stating "Guns Save Lives" and red, white and blue stickers saying "Freedom is not a Loophole," roamed the halls of the General Assembly Building on Capitol Square in Richmond before assembly near the Capitol Bell Tower for a late-morning rally sponsored by the pro-gun Virginia Citizens Defense League.

"This is one of the safest places in Richmond right now," said VCDL president Phil Van Cleave, who estimated that more than 200 firearms were present.

So the pink Glock might belong to me :0)

VApatriot

"Some 30,000 Americans die each year in the United States," Goddard said.

With less than .0001% of the U.S. population dying death year, you would expect the annual population growth to be much higher in this country.

Either Goddard needs to think about what he is saying before he opens his mouth to spout off statistics, or the WaPost reporter needs to do a better job of quoting sources.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Up early and home late for those from the outreaches of the state. A more dedicated group would be hard to find. VCDL and OCDO rock!

Lots more work to be done though. Look for Va-Alerts about things to which you be called upon to respond with emails, phone calls and letters. These methods keep our goals and objectives front and center before our representatives. When there is a critical committee meeting, come lend a hand if you have the opportunity to spare a little more time - the help is always appreciated.

Remember they are your rights ......... and the rights of your children.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I know it wasn't a rifle, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. Out of the article that's what will probably stand out the most to a lot of people.

The young man with the properly slung AR pistol stood right in front of me at the belltower rally and he was well dressed, polite and well spoken. As one of the various reporters interviewed him I turned on a hand held DVR and recorded the conversation in case he needed it. If the choice of arms he carried was the only off thing about him, he had plenty going for him.

curtiswr

The young man with the properly slung AR pistol stood right in front of me at the belltower rally and he was well dressed, polite and well spoken. As one of the various reporters interviewed him I turned on a hand held DVR and recorded the conversation in case he needed it. If the choice of arms he carried was the only off thing about him, he had plenty going for him.

I understand that; those were my impressions as well.

It is what it is, and it's just one of those things that opinions will vary on from person to person.

Last edited:

DJEEPER

Always accepting compliments! (and criticism when it is due ;) )

Was very happy to be a part of it again this year! (3rd year in a row)

Thanks everyone for showing up!

TFred

Fredericksburg's Free Lance-Star

Gun measures draw opposing factions

--With opposing goals and opposing messages on their round orange lapel stickers, pro- and anti-gun advocates lobbied lawmakers at the General Assembly yesterday.

The pro-gun folks, led by the Virginia Citizens Defense League, were pushing legislators to approve bills to expand access and legality of guns and of the right to carry guns, and reject legislation that would add restrictions to those rights.

The group held a morning rally, attended by supporters wearing stickers that said "Guns Save Lives" and "Freedom Is Not a Loophole," a reference to the so-called "gun show loophole" that the other side wants closed.

vt357

About 70 people lay down in protest for three minutes, the average time it takes to purchase a gun.

[TFred: Of course this is ridiculous... it takes three times that long just to fill out the paperwork, and I've never had an approval come back in less than half an hour...]

How funny would it be to have an FFL standing next to one of the "Die-Ins" and have somebody actually purchase a firearm. See how long it takes. I'd say the average time for me from start to finish is usually 45 minutes.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
NP! I'm sure peter_nap will post more and better ones in a couple days along with video whenever he gets done processing it. I was especially proud to be a Virginian today.

I put up a shortie TJ.
I'll get some up over the week but the pics you posted are darn good.

We had lunch with the AR fellow and although I agree with what Curtis said, I have to admit that he was dressed very well and it was carried so discretely, I can't find anything to gripe about.

It looked more professional than I do when I cart one of the BFR's at a dinner or one of our members that had a sawed off double barrel last year.

Tosta Dojen

Roanoke Times

Gun rallies stay calm on holiday

--It's one of the most heated debates of our time: Would fewer guns equal fewer killings, or is it just the opposite?

In the shadow of the recent shootings in Arizona, the argument is as contentious as ever. Both sides of it came to the capital on Monday to air their starkly different views to lawmakers.

The face-off, however, was more subdued than in years past. Each camp staged its own rally and kept largely to its own.

The irony of dueling over guns on Martin Luther King Jr. Day -- set aside to honor a man of peace lost to gunfire -- is more practical than intentional.

Red Dawg

Hampton Roads Media

Noticed something. Only WVEC here mentions and shows video of the Lobby Day. WTKR, and WAVY, don;t show anything on the website. I did a search of the sites, and nothing comes up. Does that mean they are PRO gun control? Don't know, just asking. I only had time to watch WVEC this morning before work, and waited a long time to see what they had to report. They kept the teasers going, with the "coming up" crap.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The link is a dead end now - saw them before though. :(

Whoops - works again. :D

Noticed something. Only WVEC here mentions and shows video of the Lobby Day. WTKR, and WAVY, don;t show anything on the website. I did a search of the sites, and nothing comes up. Does that mean they are PRO gun control? Don't know, just asking. I only had time to watch WVEC this morning before work, and waited a long time to see what they had to report. They kept the teasers going, with the "coming up" crap.

By and large, the media is not pro-gun - some are out right hostile, most never check their facts. There is a change beginning, but it is occurring slowly.

Last edited:

nova

I know it wasn't a rifle, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. Out of the article that's what will probably stand out the most to a lot of people.

you know what's funny? In the article they say "semiautomatic AR15 rifle" but the caption for the picture says "AR15 pistol"... :lol:

It's like the media talking heads that use both the words clip and magazine in the same article. They probably don't know which one is proper, so they use both, thinking they'll be right at least once.

Repeater

Rorschach test

How does this image make you feel?

gun-supporters-converge-on-state-capitol

1) Cool!

2) I'm scared!

3) There should be a law

4) I want one!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
That's me in the red sweater to the right of the horse's asses. My wife asked me how I managed to identify myself in that picture. :(

She slept outside last night. :D