• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Still a little confused!

Cracker06

So I successfully open carry in Joplin with no incidents or anyone noticing. My question is do can you have a loaded weapon or does the magazine have to be out of the weapon?

pbyram1983

open carry

just got off the phone with warren county sheriffs office open carry is valid over 21 yr. old and in plain sight can have a round chambered or not up to you.no bs thats the law

cshoff

I think the guy in the video and I would both disagree with that statement.

The problem with carrying a unloaded gun isn't that it's mechanically impossible to quickly load and subsequently fire the gun. The problem is that there is a great likelihood that it will be tactically impossible to quickly load and subsequently fire the gun for one reason or another. When you start looking at CQB scenarios, it becomes strikingly apparent that an unloaded handgun does not suffice as a good fighting tool. Scenarios where one hand is already occupied in shielding a loved one or being used to block an attack, or when one hand is being used to allow you to keep your balance, don't lend themselves well to carrying an empty gun. There are many other common situations that make an empty gun much less than ideal as well.

At the other end of the spectrum, deploying a already loaded gun will always be much faster than deploying an unloaded gun and making it ready. In a situation where 100ths of a second count...........................

sohighlyunlikely

The problem with carrying a unloaded gun isn't that it's mechanically impossible to quickly load and subsequently fire the gun. The problem is that there is a great likelihood that it will be tactically impossible to quickly load and subsequently fire the gun for one reason or another. When you start looking at CQB scenarios, it becomes strikingly apparent that an unloaded handgun does not suffice as a good fighting tool. Scenarios where one hand is already occupied in shielding a loved one or being used to block an attack, or when one hand is being used to allow you to keep your balance, don't lend themselves well to carrying an empty gun. There are many other common situations that make an empty gun much less than ideal as well.

At the other end of the spectrum, deploying a already loaded gun will always be much faster than deploying an unloaded gun and making it ready. In a situation where 100ths of a second count...........................

I would still take it over a brick. If it were to be my only option of legal carry I would be glad to have it.

cash50

just got off the phone with warren county sheriffs office open carry is valid over 21 yr. old and in plain sight can have a round chambered or not up to you.no bs thats the law

I bet you it's not the law. They probably have no law against open carry. Also, I would think they have no age restriction on open carry. Since their ordinances aren't easliy found online I gave up quickly. But I doubt they took the time to amend the states definition for open carry, where individuals can buy handguns at age 18. What I don't doubt is that the guy/gal you talked to thinks everyone has to be 21 to own or buy a handgun.

cshoff

I bet you it's not the law. They probably have no law against open carry. Also, I would think they have no age restriction on open carry. Since their ordinances aren't easliy found online I gave up quickly. But I doubt they took the time to amend the states definition for open carry, where individuals can buy handguns at age 18. What I don't doubt is that the guy/gal you talked to thinks everyone has to be 21 to own or buy a handgun.

+1. Until that deputy or sheriff cites an actual statute, I wouldn't put much faith into whatever he/she told you. It's very unlikely that this person has any idea what restrictions there are or aren't on OC in his/her jurisdiction. In fact, I seriously doubt that Warren County has any ordinance regarding OC one way or the other.

REALteach4u

I think the guy in the video and I would both disagree with that statement.[video=youtube;DkbE70mXSGQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkbE70mXSGQ[/video]

2.1 seconds. He'd already have lost the fight if someone were 21 feet or closer. His reaction time would have been 3 seconds or greater if he'd been responding to an actual threat rather than demonstrating.

These are exactly the kinds of drills we 2A folks should never be required to do! It saddens me to know that there are States and municipalities that force this into existence.

Thanks for posting it Doc, it's a good video to demonstrate that some things can be overcome.

kellogg2185

Waiting patiently on this one.....

Yeah, not sure if it was caught... so...

***sarcasm***

Former Marine Infantry, know all about the many wonderful merits of CLP, from cleaning your M16, to drenching the SAWs, to using it as last resort cologne... (kidding on the last one, but if you find a girl that digs you smelling like CLP, she just might me alright...) I was just going along with the load it with cheesey poofs joke.

[video=youtube;47Rf7UWqW-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Rf7UWqW-c[/video]

Last edited:

Cracker06

Does anyone know where to find a good website for city ordinances for smaller towns like Webb City? :banghead: Been looking for a few days on its city code! Thanks