• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Schumer wants more gun control for 'illegal drugs' -- without legislation

Repeater

Charles Schumer has an idea: direct the U.S. Military to report any person who admits to using 'illegal drugs' to the FBI to prevent all those persons from ever purchasing a gun. Why, it would have stopped Jared Loughner, so it must be a great idea!

Here is his letter:

January 16, 2011

Eric H. Holder, Jr.

Attorney General

U.S. Department of Justice

950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20530

Kenneth E. Melson

Acting Director

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

99 New York Ave, NE Mail Stop 5.S-144

Washington, DC 20226

Dear Attorney General Holder and Director Melson:

I write today regarding the tragic events which took place this past Saturday in Tucson, Arizona. I believe that this senseless and savage attack requires a reexamination of whom we allow to purchase firearms.

As you know, current federal law explicitly prohibits the sale or transfer of a firearm to “an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance” (18 USC 922(d)(3)). It has been widely reported that the alleged shooter, Jared L. Loughner, was known to be a regular user of illicit drugs. Indeed, in news reports earlier this week, Army officials confirmed that the gunman was prevented from enlisting in the military because he admitted to using marijuana excessively in his interview with a recruiter. Just as this admission barred his entrance to the military, it should also have disqualified him from purchasing a firearm.

I therefore urge you to examine the issued regulations regarding the legal definition of a drug abuser, and clarify them to include situations in which individuals make an admission of illicit drug use to agents of the federal government, such as military recruiters. In addition, we urge the administration to order military recruiters and other agents of the federal government to report such admissions to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System in the future.

Had this reporting requirement been in place, Loughner would likely have been prevented from purchasing a firearm. We should fix this reporting loophole so that future tragedies can be prevented.

Thank you for your prompt consideration and attention to this important matter. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer

Clarify the "issued regulations" ?? -- Oh my!

Last edited:

Thundar

they will continue to raise the bar. Wait until they ban caffiene and nicotine addicts. Wait,,,,,,,is this a gun grabber plot to hurt Starbucks special relationship with OC?

c45man

Correct if I am wrong, but is there not language in the fed. form 4473 that asks the question of the applicant regarding being a drug abuser? If so, the psychotic killer committed a federal felony by lying on the form and the gun sale was illegal.

Chucky clown, as usual, has made this issue very simplistic. The second that this fool from New York attempts to make this a policy regarding firearm purchases, every civil libertarian on both sides of the gun issue will scream foul. What other rights does chucky want to banish for those who admitted drug abuse to a federal officer? Chucky Shmuck wants to eliminate due process from consideration for a firearm purchase.

deanf

Chucky Shmuck wants to eliminate due process from consideration for a firearm purchase.

Due process has never been a consideration in a firearms purchase. The consideration has always been: has the applicant been subject to due process which would preclude the firearms transfer?

A fine but important distinction.

MK

If there was a policy put into effect that anyone who has smoked marijuana at any time in their life should be denied an ability to purchase and/or carry a firearm, over half of the American people would be cut off including a large chunk of our military as well as our police. Why not go for alcohol too while that nitwit is at it? Alcohol is a far more dangerous drug and amplifies emotions in alot of people who are under its influence. I would feel much safer around pot smokers who are armed than drunks anyday.

What's next, people who have played violent video games or listen to hard rock music or gangsta rap? We see those get blamed for violence all the time.

There are some who are going to try to argue any reason they possibly can in order to cut down the ability for good decent Americans from being allowed to protect themselves. In my opinion, the only people who should not be allowed to possess firearms are those who have been convicted of violent felonies and those who have been found to be legally insane to the point that they have to be institutionalized in order to be properly cared for as they can no longer care for themselves. I wouldn't even have put Loughner in that catagory.

This fear mongering and over reaction going on from the left in regards to the AZ murders is really getting on my nerves. Its sickening to me how they are playing up this horrible situation any way they possibly can in order to further their political agendas.

since9

Campaign Veteran
What he apparently doesn't realize is that a soldier's admitting to ever having used illegal drugs is neither grounds for denial of entry into the military nor grounds for denial of a security clearance.

I'm not sure what the exact figure is, but does his idea include removing firearms from a serious percentage of military personnel?

How in the world are we supposed to respect our Congressmen when they come up with such idiotic, knee-jerk reaction tools?

OldCurlyWolf

Correct if I am wrong, but is there not language in the fed. form 4473 that asks the question of the applicant regarding being a drug abuser? If so, the psychotic killer committed a federal felony by lying on the form and the gun sale was illegal.

Chucky clown, as usual, has made this issue very simplistic. The second that this fool from New York attempts to make this a policy regarding firearm purchases, every civil libertarian on both sides of the gun issue will scream foul. What other rights does chucky want to banish for those who admitted drug abuse to a federal officer? Chucky Shmuck wants to eliminate due process from consideration for a firearm purchase.

There is a question on the form about illegal drugs, No. 11.e., and a yes answer is a disqualifier. So for Dingbat in Tucson, he committed perjury to get the firearm.

:mad:

eye95

e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?

The present tense presents a problem. If one is not an addict and is not currently high, he may honestly answer the question no. He was a user yesterday. He is not today. He may be again tomorrow.

It is a silly question.