• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just picked up a COLT MK IV / Series 80 1911.

zack991

I am payed 500 dollars for a Colt Government Model MK IV / Series 80 in good shape, low round count. It is in good shape except for a few tool marks and I am having to get the thumb safety fitted still. The owner got it back from his gunsmith with the new hammer and trigger fitted. His gun smith did not have time to fit the thumb safety this week, so I asked if I could pick it up on Monday so I can get it done on my time. How hard is it to fit my own or am I better off paying the money to get it fitted by a pro. How much does this normally cost? Now I was currently removing the wood grips so that is why it does not have screws in the photos. Its going to be my carry gun and in a few weeks when its all done.

Prior to the gunsmiths work

dec2010007.jpg

Trijicons night sights H3 09

Wilson Combat ULTRALIGHT HAMMER

Wilson Combat 1911 ULTRALIGHT MATCH TRIGGER

Wilson Combat EXTENDED THUMB SAFETY

Wilson Combat Grip Safety
Photo0009.jpg

Photo0011.jpg

Last edited:

cbpeck

Nice looking gun, but I can't for the life of me figure out what's up with that thumb safety.

Is it supposed to stick out that far from the frame? If so, why?

Nevada carrier

Nice looking gun, but I can't for the life of me figure out what's up with that thumb safety.

you must be the kind of guy who looks at a news paper for the pictures :D. the OP clearly said he needed to get the thumb safety fitted, and wanted to know if he should try to fit it himself or have it done professionally.

.45acp

Zack,

Get both the safetys fitted and check out by a competent smith. Beautiful grips BTW.

Nice Colt you have and at a good price to boot, I have a couple like it and although I have a number of high end 1911's that cost 4 or 5 time what a new one costs, the Colt's are my carry guns.

Good luck with it and come back and let us know how it turns out.

Steve

zack991

It was still needing to be fitted by an armorer and is currently at the gunsmith. It is being worked on this Saturday.
Cant wait to get her back.

Zack,

Get both the safetys fitted and check out by a competent smith. Beautiful grips BTW.

Nice Colt you have and at a good price to boot, I have a couple like it and although I have a number of high end 1911's that cost 4 or 5 time what a new one costs, the Colt's are my carry guns.

Good luck with it and come back and let us know how it turns out.

Steve

Thanks, it is only running me 30 to have it machined fitted. I ordered a few Chip McCormick Shooting Star Mags and a few extra goodies to boot. Thanks I am liking the grips more and more, they guys who sold it to me was great.

Last edited:

zack991

Well it just got back from the armor who had to replace the "new" thumb safety that the seller gave me. The seller said that it was just needing to be fitted, well the armor called me and it was not good news overall. The thumb safety that i was given was bent out of shape and looked like a poor attempt at fitting the piece was done.

He refused to use it for obvious safety reasons and said I had to buy a replacement. I had to buy another Wilson Combat thumb safety and instead of it costing me around 30 bucks, it ran over 70. Other than that at least it can be used as my carry gun now. I will take better photos soon and range results as well.