Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: barry county sheriffs deputy

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hasting, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    43

    barry county sheriffs deputy

    hey guys this is nothing bad about the barry county sheriffs office, in fact we are very lucky to have dar in barry county, ok the reason for this post is im woundering how i would go about joining the barry county sheriffs, i have wanted to be a cop ever sence i expirienced my first bad leo encounter, now dont take that wrong i dont want to be a bad cop but i feel that the more good cops there are the less bad ones there will be, and i think i could be a good cop. so if there are any leo out there can you give me some advice or tips? thanks
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
    --George Washington

    first rule of open carry, know your laws. second rule of open carry, never ask permission. third rule of open carry, rule number one supersedes rule number two

  2. #2
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by oohrahboy View Post
    hey guys this is nothing bad about the barry county sheriffs office, in fact we are very lucky to have dar in barry county, ok the reason for this post is im woundering how i would go about joining the barry county sheriffs, i have wanted to be a cop ever sence i expirienced my first bad leo encounter, now dont take that wrong i dont want to be a bad cop but i feel that the more good cops there are the less bad ones there will be, and i think i could be a good cop. so if there are any leo out there can you give me some advice or tips? thanks
    Call Dar Leaf! He is a GREAT man, I spent like 10 hours with him once. He is a friend of MOC infact.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by oohrahboy View Post
    hey guys this is nothing bad about the barry county sheriffs office, in fact we are very lucky to have dar in barry county, ok the reason for this post is im woundering how i would go about joining the barry county sheriffs, i have wanted to be a cop ever sence i expirienced my first bad leo encounter, now dont take that wrong i dont want to be a bad cop but i feel that the more good cops there are the less bad ones there will be, and i think i could be a good cop. so if there are any leo out there can you give me some advice or tips? thanks
    Talk to the Sheriff or Undersheriff and see if they are hiring.

    http://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,160...0154--,00.html

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hasting, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    43
    i agree a great man, maybe even the best sheriff in the nation.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
    --George Washington

    first rule of open carry, know your laws. second rule of open carry, never ask permission. third rule of open carry, rule number one supersedes rule number two

  5. #5
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    If they are not hiring, check to see if they have openings in their reserve program. It's a great way to become familiar with the department and, in most counties, gives you an edge when they do hire.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  6. #6
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    If they are not hiring, check to see if they have openings in their reserve program. It's a great way to become familiar with the department and, in most counties, gives you an edge when they do hire.
    This would be my suggestion as well. I know that down here in Van Buren county many of the youngsters started out this way.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  7. #7
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by oohrahboy View Post
    hey guys this is nothing bad about the barry county sheriffs office, in fact we are very lucky to have dar in barry county, ok the reason for this post is im woundering how i would go about joining the barry county sheriffs, i have wanted to be a cop ever sence i expirienced my first bad leo encounter, now dont take that wrong i dont want to be a bad cop but i feel that the more good cops there are the less bad ones there will be, and i think i could be a good cop. so if there are any leo out there can you give me some advice or tips? thanks
    First step would be to complete the formal education requirements. I have a suspicion you're not there yet.

    Then, you get MCOLES certified and apply. With so few jobs and so many applicants, pre-service certification is here to stay.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    “He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arizona, ,
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    First step would be to complete the formal education requirements. I have a suspicion you're not there yet.

    Then, you get MCOLES certified and apply. With so few jobs and so many applicants, pre-service certification is here to stay.
    Careful with getting MCOLES certified. Its a long EXPENSIVE academy thats a 7-5 non- paying job and does not guarantee a career when you are done. Also the certification only lasts 1 year, then you have to renew it every year after for more money. With everyone going through the academy on their own dime, you may not have a choice.

    Most LEO jobs seem to be who you know, so the explorers is a good option also to get a foot in the door. Then again you are putting all your eggs in one basket.

    When places do hire, normally 100-200 other people are applying for the LEO spot also, and most the time only take 1-2 people. Also the 1-2 people they take seem to have experience with another department or had served in the military. Hell sometimes they are not even hiring and just making a list of potential names for when they decide to hire. That can be 16 months down the road! By then your certification has expired!!

  9. #9
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy05 View Post
    Careful with getting MCOLES certified. . . .
    I agree with your assessment of the toilet that is Michigan law enforcement career opportunities. But he asked about what steps to take for Barry County . . .

    Good advice on some options for the "who you know" angle.
    Last edited by DanM; 01-18-2011 at 11:12 AM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    “He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arizona, ,
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by danm View Post
    i agree with your assessment of the toilet that is michigan law enforcement career opportunities.


    lol




    But yeah like i said the explorers option is a good idea. Run with it. Or go federal, BP is hiring so im told. Put a few years in and go back to your local city or county if you miss it that much!
    Last edited by jeremy05; 01-18-2011 at 11:13 AM.

  11. #11
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    A friend of mine went to work for Livingston county. The way it started was as a dispatcher. My understand is, they promote from within. So if you can get into the department in a non-sworn in job, that's how it starts, and you go from there.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  12. #12
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    Another way is to work for a small city or town dept as a reserve and work up to certification and a full time position. Of course this is with the appropriate degree in progress or completed.
    Last edited by autosurgeon; 01-18-2011 at 01:09 PM.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hasting, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    43
    thanks for all the responses guys youve been a great help
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
    --George Washington

    first rule of open carry, know your laws. second rule of open carry, never ask permission. third rule of open carry, rule number one supersedes rule number two

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Battle Creek, ,
    Posts
    559

    Lightbulb

    Known Dar for a very long time so +1 give him a call. N you are 110% since Dar took over they are a great department!!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Known Dar for a very long time so +1 give him a call. N you are 110% since Dar took over they are a great department!!
    Moving just outside Hastings this spring, good to hear all these positive things

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Macomb County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy05 View Post
    Careful with getting MCOLES certified. Its a long EXPENSIVE academy thats a 7-5 non- paying job and does not guarantee a career when you are done. Also the certification only lasts 1 year, then you have to renew it every year after for more money. With everyone going through the academy on their own dime, you may not have a choice.

    Most LEO jobs seem to be who you know, so the explorers is a good option also to get a foot in the door. Then again you are putting all your eggs in one basket.

    When places do hire, normally 100-200 other people are applying for the LEO spot also, and most the time only take 1-2 people. Also the 1-2 people they take seem to have experience with another department or had served in the military. Hell sometimes they are not even hiring and just making a list of potential names for when they decide to hire. That can be 16 months down the road! By then your certification has expired!!
    No certification for any job discipline guarantees a job after completion. It's akin to getting your Bachelor's Degree prior to seeking employment that requires one. just because you spent $80k getting a college degree doesnt mean you're going to find a job after graduation but surely you're in better shape then those who have nothing. In the field today most employers wont even look at you unless you're certified. Of course it depends on your position and for whom you're applying with. For instance rent a cop positions dont require certification.
    Last edited by mikestilly; 02-24-2013 at 12:12 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eastpointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by mikestilly View Post
    No certification for any job discipline guarantees a job after completion. It's akin to getting your Bachelor's Degree prior to seeking employment that requires one. just because you spent $80k getting a college degree doesnt mean you're going to find a job after graduation but surely you're in better shape then those who have nothing. In the field today most employers wont even look at you unless you're certified. Of course it depends on your position and for whom you're applying with. For instance rent a cop positions dont require certification.
    I don't think he cares about your response. Seeing as how his post was written over two years ago...you're a little late to the party.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Battle Creek, ,
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by gifters View Post
    Moving just outside Hastings this spring, good to hear all these positive things
    Check out Bob's, over on the NW end when you get there... Bob's gun n tackle can be kind of pricey, you just have to shop around, but they have a good selection, and good sales on guns, ammo, and anything related to hunting.
    Last edited by Sheldon; 02-25-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •