• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

barry county sheriffs deputy

oohrahboy

hey guys this is nothing bad about the barry county sheriffs office, in fact we are very lucky to have dar in barry county, ok the reason for this post is im woundering how i would go about joining the barry county sheriffs, i have wanted to be a cop ever sence i expirienced my first bad leo encounter, now dont take that wrong i dont want to be a bad cop but i feel that the more good cops there are the less bad ones there will be, and i think i could be a good cop. so if there are any leo out there can you give me some advice or tips? thanks

eastmeyers

hey guys this is nothing bad about the barry county sheriffs office, in fact we are very lucky to have dar in barry county, ok the reason for this post is im woundering how i would go about joining the barry county sheriffs, i have wanted to be a cop ever sence i expirienced my first bad leo encounter, now dont take that wrong i dont want to be a bad cop but i feel that the more good cops there are the less bad ones there will be, and i think i could be a good cop. so if there are any leo out there can you give me some advice or tips? thanks

Call Dar Leaf! He is a GREAT man, I spent like 10 hours with him once. He is a friend of MOC infact.

warrior1978

Talk to the Sheriff or Undersheriff and see if they are hiring.

http://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,1607,7-229-41624-150154--,00.html

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
If they are not hiring, check to see if they have openings in their reserve program. It's a great way to become familiar with the department and, in most counties, gives you an edge when they do hire.

autosurgeon

If they are not hiring, check to see if they have openings in their reserve program. It's a great way to become familiar with the department and, in most counties, gives you an edge when they do hire.

This would be my suggestion as well. I know that down here in Van Buren county many of the youngsters started out this way.

DanM

First step would be to complete the formal education requirements. I have a suspicion you're not there yet. :)

Then, you get MCOLES certified and apply. With so few jobs and so many applicants, pre-service certification is here to stay.

jeremy05

First step would be to complete the formal education requirements. I have a suspicion you're not there yet. :)

Then, you get MCOLES certified and apply. With so few jobs and so many applicants, pre-service certification is here to stay.

Careful with getting MCOLES certified. Its a long EXPENSIVE academy thats a 7-5 non- paying job and does not guarantee a career when you are done. Also the certification only lasts 1 year, then you have to renew it every year after for more money. With everyone going through the academy on their own dime, you may not have a choice.

Most LEO jobs seem to be who you know, so the explorers is a good option also to get a foot in the door. Then again you are putting all your eggs in one basket.

When places do hire, normally 100-200 other people are applying for the LEO spot also, and most the time only take 1-2 people. Also the 1-2 people they take seem to have experience with another department or had served in the military. Hell sometimes they are not even hiring and just making a list of potential names for when they decide to hire. That can be 16 months down the road! By then your certification has expired!!

DanM

Careful with getting MCOLES certified. . . .

I agree with your assessment of the toilet that is Michigan law enforcement career opportunities. But he asked about what steps to take for Barry County . . . :)

Good advice on some options for the "who you know" angle.

Last edited:

jeremy05

i agree with your assessment of the toilet that is michigan law enforcement career opportunities.

lol

But yeah like i said the explorers option is a good idea. Run with it. Or go federal, BP is hiring so im told. Put a few years in and go back to your local city or county if you miss it that much!

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
A friend of mine went to work for Livingston county. The way it started was as a dispatcher. My understand is, they promote from within. So if you can get into the department in a non-sworn in job, that's how it starts, and you go from there.

autosurgeon

Another way is to work for a small city or town dept as a reserve and work up to certification and a full time position. Of course this is with the appropriate degree in progress or completed.

Last edited:

gifters

Known Dar for a very long time so +1 give him a call. N you are 110% since Dar took over they are a great department!!

Moving just outside Hastings this spring, good to hear all these positive things

mikestilly

Careful with getting MCOLES certified. Its a long EXPENSIVE academy thats a 7-5 non- paying job and does not guarantee a career when you are done. Also the certification only lasts 1 year, then you have to renew it every year after for more money. With everyone going through the academy on their own dime, you may not have a choice.

Most LEO jobs seem to be who you know, so the explorers is a good option also to get a foot in the door. Then again you are putting all your eggs in one basket.

When places do hire, normally 100-200 other people are applying for the LEO spot also, and most the time only take 1-2 people. Also the 1-2 people they take seem to have experience with another department or had served in the military. Hell sometimes they are not even hiring and just making a list of potential names for when they decide to hire. That can be 16 months down the road! By then your certification has expired!!

No certification for any job discipline guarantees a job after completion. It's akin to getting your Bachelor's Degree prior to seeking employment that requires one. just because you spent $80k getting a college degree doesnt mean you're going to find a job after graduation but surely you're in better shape then those who have nothing. In the field today most employers wont even look at you unless you're certified. Of course it depends on your position and for whom you're applying with. For instance rent a cop positions dont require certification.

Last edited:

scot623

No certification for any job discipline guarantees a job after completion. It's akin to getting your Bachelor's Degree prior to seeking employment that requires one. just because you spent $80k getting a college degree doesnt mean you're going to find a job after graduation but surely you're in better shape then those who have nothing. In the field today most employers wont even look at you unless you're certified. Of course it depends on your position and for whom you're applying with. For instance rent a cop positions dont require certification.

I don't think he cares about your response. Seeing as how his post was written over two years ago...you're a little late to the party.

Sheldon

Moving just outside Hastings this spring, good to hear all these positive things

Check out Bob's, over on the NW end when you get there... Bob's gun n tackle can be kind of pricey, you just have to shop around, but they have a good selection, and good sales on guns, ammo, and anything related to hunting.

Last edited: