• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter the antis were handing out at lobby day.

curtiswr

http://i52.tinypic.com/5v2d1y.jpg

"84.6%* of Virginians support changing the law to require..."

An explanation of the percentage and where it came from was never found. You would think they would include that, especially since they asterisked it? Maybe it was on another page.. Upon reading it now though, I take it to mean 84.6% of the family members of those shot at Virginia Tech who are also Virginians support changing private sale requirements.

:confused:

Left space to sign her name and didn't even do it. Pft. :rolleyes:

t33j

http://i52.tinypic.com/5v2d1y.jpg

"84.6%* of Virginians support changing the law to require..."

An explanation of the percentage and where it came from was never found. You would think they would include that, especially since they asterisked it? Maybe it was on another page.. Upon reading it now though, I take it to mean 84.6% of the family members of those shot at Virginia Tech who are also Virginians support changing private sale requirements.

:confused:

Left space to sign her name and didn't even do it. Pft. :rolleyes:

Hmmm 86.4% is a rather precise number.

The Wolfhound

86.4% Agreement

If the question were phrased: Do you agree that felons and the mentally ill should be prevented from accessing firearms, you might get that number.

2a4all

Lori Hass claims that background checks save lives. Private sales of firearms are exempt from such checks in Virginia. Thus there is a risk that unstable people could obtain firearms via private sales.

So let's require all firearms sales be conditional on the successful completion of a background check on the buyer. All buyers would then undergo a background check. But all the buyers of firearms that were used in mass shootings did undergo a background check, and were cleared for the purchase. Those lives were not saved.

So the background check is inadequate. But they continue.

Jay

Well it seems they have a lot of support on their Facebook 33 people like them..... You guys better watch out.....Hehe

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well it seems they have a lot of support on their Facebook 33 people like them..... You guys better watch out.....Hehe

Smoke and mirrors - they're not that large. Probably multiple sock puppets. :p

vaeevictiss

I find it saddening this group was trying to use martin luther king jr day to push their anti-gun agenda, when king himself was a supporter of the 2nd amendment and the right of people to defend themselves. Not only that, he had armed individuals protecting his home around the clock. He had a gun inside his home, but was not allowed to carry it, because he was unconstitutionally denied a permit to carry.

Almost makes me want to post on their page, but i'd rather not give them the gratification of another number that would look like a supporter.

Last edited:

DontTreadOnMeVa

I "Like"d them. Know your enemy!

If you look at the members, several others I think are also not really supporters. My suggestion is after checking it out and leaving whatever messages you desire, unlike them. Much like hanging out at an anti rally you run the risk of inflating their numbers and inadvertently help them.

Repeater

CNU cooked the books

*we pulled this number out of our behind.

The Ass happens to be taxpayer-funded Christopher Newport University, which conducted a statewide survey of 1,097 adults called between Dec. 14-19.

Here is the RTD article:

According to a Christopher Newport University statewide survey of 1,097 adults called between Dec. 14-19.

Those surveyed overwhelmingly support closing the so-called gun-show loophole, 84.6 percent to 14.1 percent.

In Virginia, a person buying a gun from a licensed dealer must go through a criminal background check. A person purchasing a weapon from a private seller at a gun show, however, does not.

"That's where criminals get their guns," said Chip Barker, a lawyer from Abingdon.

In past sessions Democrats have tried to require everyone to undergo a background check, but Republicans have blocked the effort.

Methodology:

This poll was designed and analyzed by Quentin Kidd of the Wason Center for Public Policy at Christopher Newport University. The results of this poll are based on landline telephone (82.5%) and cell phone (17.5%) interviews between Dec. 14 and Dec. 19 of adults age 18 and older who live in Virginia. Live interviewing and sampling was conducted by the Muhlenberg College Institute of Public Opinion. The final number of completed surveys in the sample was 1,097 with a resulting margin of error of +/- 3.0% at the 95% level of confidence. However, the margin of error for some sub groups (including Democrats and women) is larger due to smaller sample sizes. In addition to sampling error, the other potential sources of error include non-response, question wording, and interviewer error. The response rate for the survey was 31%. Ten callbacks were employed in the fielding process. The data reported here are weighted on sex, age, race and region of residence to reflect as closely as possible the demographic composition of adults 18 and older in Virginia. Percentages may not equal 100 due to rounding.

Here is the actual question that Kidd used:

Page 4:
q20. Under Virginia law, in order for an individual to be able to purchase a firearm at a gun show from a licensed firearms dealer, that individual must first pass a criminal background check. However, that same individual could purchase a firearm at that same gun show from an unlicensed seller without first having to pass a criminal background check. Some people want the law to be changed so that anyone purchasing a firearm at a gun show will have to pass a criminal background check. Which comes closest to your view, should the law be changed so that anyone purchasing a firearm at a gun show has to pass a criminal background check first or is the law ok as it currently is?

Change law: 84.6%
Keep law as is: 14.1%
Not sure/refused (vol.) 1.3%

Note: the word 'unlicensed' was underlined in the survey itself.

Who is Chip Barker?

nova

The Ass happens to be taxpayer-funded Christopher Newport University, which conducted a statewide survey of 1,097 adults called between Dec. 14-19.

Here is the RTD article:

Here is the actual question that Kidd used:

Page 4:

Note: the word 'unlicensed' was underlined in the survey itself.

Who is Chip Barker?

I prefer to get my statistics from the US Dept of Justice/FBI, which usually has less of a bias one way or another than a university. A DOJ study (using actual facts rather than opinions) concluded that less than 5% of all firearms recovered from criminals were purchased at a gun show. Most were stolen or purchased illegally.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
A DOJ study (using actual facts rather than opinions) concluded that less than 5% of all firearms recovered from criminals were purchased at a gun show. Most were stolen or purchased illegally.

And, as I recall, didn't specify how many of those <5% were purchased following a background check...

Roscoe

Last edited: