• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter the antis were handing out at lobby day.

TFred

A serious question

It must be terribly frustrating to be an anti-gunner. In all reality, they are spending what seems to be the vast majority of their efforts on what they likely perceive to be the "low-hanging fruit" of the "gun show loophole", but as anyone can see, they simply aren't getting any traction, at least not so far.

My question is this... surely they can read a statistic, they have to know that only a very small number of criminals are using gun shows to get guns... why don't they come up with something that is more significant to hang their flag on?

Anybody know? Anybody who does know, willing to admit they have figured out why they are thinking the way they are?

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It must be terribly frustrating to be an anti-gunner. In all reality, they are spending what seems to be the vast majority of their efforts on what they likely perceive to be the "low-hanging fruit" of the "gun show loophole", but as anyone can see, they simply aren't getting any traction, at least not so far.

My question is this... surely they can read a statistic, they have to know that only a very small number of criminals are using gun shows to get guns... why don't they come up with something that is more significant to hang their flag on?

Anybody know? Anybody who does know, willing to admit they have figured out why they are thinking the way they are?

TFred

All of their low hanging fruit has rotted. Needing to justify their own existence with something, anything, they shake the same branches and get the same results.

To acknowledge that they were/are wrong is to diminish their own self worth.

CHILINVLN

I prefer to get my statistics from the US Dept of Justice/FBI, which usually has less of a bias one way or another than a university. A DOJ study (using actual facts rather than opinions) concluded that less than 5% of all firearms recovered from criminals were purchased at a gun show. Most were stolen or purchased illegally.

Do you have a link to this statistic? Maybe Ed could share this information with Ms. Haas.

nova

Do you have a link to this statistic? Maybe Ed could share this information with Ms. Haas.
I know the OCDO rule of backing claims with facts/links, but if I can find it I'll post it. I've done a lot of research this past semester using the FBI Uniform Crime Report but I don't think that's where I saw it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know the OCDO rule of backing claims with facts/links, but if I can find it I'll post it. I've done a lot of research this past semester using the FBI Uniform Crime Report but I don't think that's where I saw it.

• A Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) report on “Firearms Use by Offenders” found that fewer than 1% of U.S. “crime guns” came from gun shows, with repeat offenders even less likely than first-timers to buy guns from any retail source. This 2001 study was based on interviews with 18,000 state prison inmates and is the largest such study ever conducted by the government.
http://www.nraila.org/issues/factsheets/read.aspx?id=247&issue=014

wylde007

All of their low hanging fruit has rotted. Needing to justify their own existence with something, anything, they shake the same branches and get the same results.
What strikes me all of a sudden is that the majority of the "events" these people cite as support for infringing further on our rights have been perpetrated by individuals who purchased their firearms neither from private citizens nor at gun shows.

They were, by-and-large, purchased from FFL dealers, with the required paperwork and background checks.

So the antis believe that by creating new hoops for law-abiding citizens to jump through they will somehow reduce the number of mass shootings in gun-free zones where dozens of defenseless and disarmed-by-fiat sheep are gunned down with no recourse?

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Repeater

Dave Kopel discusses Gun Show myths

His in-depth discussion is from 2002, but because the haters never stop trying, most of Kopel's discssion remains timely:

Should Gun Shows Be Outlawed?

The Bureau of Justice Statistics report Firearms Use by Offenders finds that only about 1 percent of U.S. crime guns come from gun shows. The BJS study was based on personal interviews with 18,000 prison inmates in 1997, and was the largest such study ever conducted by the federal government. Of course this figure includes all sales at gun shows, including sales by federal firearms licensees. (Since some future criminals have clean or expunged records, they could pass any background check.) The sources of criminal guns were:

* Purchased from a retail store, 8.3 percent.
* Purchased at a pawnshop, 3.8 percent.
* Purchased at a flea market, 1.0 percent.
* Purchased in a gun show, 0.7 percent.
* Obtained from friends or family, 39.6 percent.
* Got on the street/illegal source, 39.2 percent.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I wonder how long they'll use that letter?

I bet you could get your hands on it and break it down, and hand out your own letter debunking it on the same day everywhere they go....

They obviously distribute it in advance for printing.... Be the one it gets distributed to and head them off at the pass....

Or just have a handy laptop and portable printer to do it on site.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
His in-depth discussion is from 2002, but because the haters never stop trying, most of Kopel's discssion remains timely:

Should Gun Shows Be Outlawed?

* Obtained from friends or family, 39.6 percent.
* Got on the street/illegal source, 39.2 percent.

Note the careful change of wording.

Most other references are to a purchase. the last two don't mention the method. Stolen? Criminals commit Crimes, which is behavior contrary to law, who would have guessed.... I think another law will solve it, right?