• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Star News Article" wilmington, Is open carry allowed?

billxdm

They have this section in the local paper, the "Star News" called my reporter, where people can ask questions and the reporters find the answers and post them on the newspapers website. Well I saw the question today "Can I carry a handgun openly in North Carolina?"
See link here http://www.myreporter.com/?p=9174

They did point to opencarry.org in the answer, which was nice, but they still got the answer partly wrong. See if you can spot the errors.

Well in short here is the answer posted by our crack reporters here in Wilmington

North Carolina law does not specifically keep anybody from walking around with a handgun in a holster on his or her hip.

However, state gun laws do prohibit firearms of any kind in certain establishments such as schools, courthouses and establishments that sell alcoholic beverages.

Concealed handguns are specifically addressed under N.C. General Statutes Chapter 14‑415.10 through 14‑415.26.

Here’s how the question of openly carrying firearms was addressed under the Concealed Carry FAQ section of the N.C. Rifle & Pistol Association’s website.

Q: Can I carry a gun in NC without having a Concealed Handgun permit?

A: This is dependent on many factors. On private property where you have permission of the owner – Yes. In rural areas where open carry is permitted – Yes. In cities and towns where a Display Ban is in effect – No.

The website OpenCarry.org also discusses the regulations of firearms being openly carried in North Carolina.

A summary from the North Carolina page at OpenCarry.org says, “North Carolina is a traditional open carry state. You MAY open carry in a motor vehicle. However, localities may regulate the carrying of firearms under certain circumstances.”

Here’s a link to the N.C. General Statutes chapter concerning firearms: N.C. G.S. 14.

M

mattwestm

Probably just trying to cover their ass in case someone cites them.

billxdm

It's more vague than erroneous.

Well is pretty erroneous when they say you or I cannot carry our firearms where alcohol is sold. No more Food Lion, Wal-Mart or Gas Station Convenience stores.

Even if they are going to quote CC laws I wish they would get them right

What pisses me off is some soccer mom or whoever reads this and then sees me either open or somehow carrying concealed while in Food Lion and call the cops on me because of some incorrect article they read on the local newspaper website.

Last edited:

buzzsaw

For the benefit of those who are not from around here, the "Star News" is often (and lovingly) referred to as "The Red Star". This would be due to it's seeming to tilt slightly to the left on most issues political and otherwise. Based upon casual observation I would opine that if it leaned any farther it would probably invert. Just a thought.

Northerner

So for clarity can I OC in a restaurant that serves alcohol?

I go to NC one week a year and would like a straight yes or no (if possible). A cite would be nice too.

NO

I'll cite in a moment and update this post, but the answer is "NO" either OC or CC.

NORTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
LAW ENFORCEMENT LIAISON SECTION
REVISED DECEMBER 2007
Publication Website: http://www.ncdoj.com

NORTH CAROLINA FIREARMS LAWS
VIII. COMMONLY ASKED FIREARMS QUESTIONS

E. IS IT LAWFUL TO CARRY A WEAPON TO A BAR OR SIMILAR ESTABLISHMENT FOR PURPOSES OF PROTECTION?

ANSWER: No. North Carolina General Statutes forbid a person to carry a weapon into an assembly where an admission fee has been charged, or a place where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Also, a concealed handgun permit does not allow for such. A more detailed discussion of what areas prohibit the possession of a firearm is contained in Section III. E. of this publication.

I am hoping that a Bill, upending this law, will be revived and passed in the coming months by our latest NC House and Senate.

Last edited: