• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oceanside UOC Stop

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I thought you did fine. You had a recording device. Objected to the 12031(e) check. Objected to the search for the serial number. Asked if you did anything wrong. Refused to ID yourself. Asked for your property back. Asked for name and badge number. Asked if you were free to go.

CenTex

+1

Keep it up as long as it is legal to do so. Everyday we see more and more of our "RIGHTS" being taken from us.

We are living in the early stages of a police state. The LEOs don't seem to have the sense they are being used by the far left anti-gunners.

oc4ever

you did great.

I think you did a great job. Too bad they stomped on your Constitutional rights along the way. Frankly a three minute detention without the LEO's showing any poor attitude is not bad. Maybe a call to the Oceanside PD brass might help them with training on the serial number issue. Hard to dispute your video.

wolfeinstein

Last edited:

wolfeinstein

What Constitutional rights?

I think you did a great job. Too bad they stomped on your Constitutional rights along the way. Frankly a three minute detention without the LEO's showing any poor attitude is not bad. Maybe a call to the Oceanside PD brass might help them with training on the serial number issue. Hard to dispute your video.

http://lysanderspooner.org/node/64

The Constitution has no inherent authority or obligation. It has no authority or obligation at all, unless as a contract between man and man. And it does not so much as even purport to be a contract between persons now existing. It purports, at most, to be only a contract between persons living eighty years ago. And it can be supposed to have been a contract then only between persons who had already come to years of discretion, so as to be competent to make reasonable and obligatory contracts. Furthermore, we know, historically, that only a small portion even of the people then existing were consulted on the subject, or asked, or permitted to express either their consent or dissent in any formal manner. Those persons, if any, who did give their consent formally, are all dead now. Most of them have been dead forty, fifty, sixty, or seventy years. And the constitution, so far as it was their contract, died with them. They had no natural power or right to make it obligatory upon their children. It is not only plainly impossible, in the nature of things, that they could bind their posterity, but they did not even attempt to bind them. That is to say, the instrument does not purport to be an agreement between any body but "the people" then existing; nor does it, either ex- [*4] pressly or impliedly, assert any right, power, or disposition, on their part, to bind anybody but themselves. Let us see. Its language is:http://lysanderspooner.org/node/64

IYAOYAS

http://lysanderspooner.org/node/64

The Constitution has no inherent authority or obligation. It has no authority or obligation at all, unless as a contract between man and man. And it does not so much as even purport to be a contract between persons now existing. It purports, at most, to be only a contract between persons living eighty years ago. And it can be supposed to have been a contract then only between persons who had already come to years of discretion, so as to be competent to make reasonable and obligatory contracts. Furthermore, we know, historically, that only a small portion even of the people then existing were consulted on the subject, or asked, or permitted to express either their consent or dissent in any formal manner. Those persons, if any, who did give their consent formally, are all dead now. Most of them have been dead forty, fifty, sixty, or seventy years. And the constitution, so far as it was their contract, died with them. They had no natural power or right to make it obligatory upon their children. It is not only plainly impossible, in the nature of things, that they could bind their posterity, but they did not even attempt to bind them. That is to say, the instrument does not purport to be an agreement between any body but "the people" then existing; nor does it, either ex- [*4] pressly or impliedly, assert any right, power, or disposition, on their part, to bind anybody but themselves. Let us see. Its language is:http://lysanderspooner.org/node/64

I think that I am now dumber for reading this. Maybe you could rewrite that in english for us ordinary folks.

Gooelf

Ok so I'll admit I didn't read the entire thing, but let's go ahead and adopt that line of thinking. Seeing as how the document sets up the government that is still in use today, everyday we continue to abide by the government in place is a furtherence of the original agreement and therefor all current parties are then legally bound by the agreements found within, i.e. The Bill of Rights. Also, comsidering pur entire legal system is based on the republican structure all laws must follow the hierachy Constitution- Federal- state- local, but this system is broken all the time in the USA by everyone when it suits them to do so, and has been all throughout the United States' history and it's a freaking shame!

cato

To my brothers in blue,

You need to go back to the squad room and review a few things (all Supreme Court 4th Amendment Cases);

http://www.google.com/m/url?client=...UQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNFV2w45wiRINg5YC2O89bsBg0iTBw

Arizona vs HICKS - you can not manipulate an object (search) to find the serial number which you don't have the power to keep in your custody, even when it is in 'plain view'. You were obviously searching for the serial number; an activity which is not part of checking the chamber for a round - the only activity authorized by 12031(e) PC (the constitutionality of which is in doubt since it is a non-warrant search for criminal activity absent consent, an exception, or probable cause).

http://www.google.com/m/url?client=...IQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHogb9ZrnfbZvC8qO0mmbViDgf6OA

JL vs Floridia - there is no gun exception to the 4th Amendment.

http://www.google.com/m/url?client=...IQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHy4NTCioUsvFfYd1FwvC16uMulkQ

Terry vs Ohio - A patdown is for officer safety during a legal detention for criminal investigation supported by reasonable articulated suspicion AND the officer has articulable belief that the person detained is both armed AND dangerous. If armed was synonymous with dangerous the Supreme Court would not have used the second descriptor.

There was NO suspicion of criminal activity yet you prolonged this detention falsely imprisoning this man. You unlawfully searched that free American's property against his explicit instructions. You unlawfully put your hands on his body, an assault under color of law. And you say you were just doing your job? Ever hear of the Nuremburg defense? Shame on you bro.

Last edited:

stuckinchico

great job just a lil suggestion..... let them figure out how to unholster your weapon good training for the leos

Not to bash google or anything here are those cases at FINDLAW i tried to post lexis nexus but you guy wont be able to see it with out an account

Arizona v Hicks
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=480&invol=321

JL v Florida
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=000&invol=98-1993

Terry v Ohio
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=392&invol=1

Last edited:

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
To my brothers in blue,

You need to go back to the squad room and review a few things (all Supreme Court 4th Amendment Cases);

http://www.google.com/m/url?client=...UQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNFV2w45wiRINg5YC2O89bsBg0iTBw

Arizona vs HICKS - you can not manipulate an object (search) to find the serial number which you don't have the power to keep in your custody, even when it is in 'plain view'. You were obviously searching for the serial number; an activity which is not part of checking the chamber for a round - the only activity authorized by 12031(e) PC (the constitutionality of which is in doubt since it is an non-warrant search for criminal activity absent consent, an exception, or probable cause).

http://www.google.com/m/url?client=...IQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHogb9ZrnfbZvC8qO0mmbViDgf6OA

http://www.google.com/m/url?client=...IQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHy4NTCioUsvFfYd1FwvC16uMulkQ

Terry vs Ohio - A patdown is for officer safety during a legal detention for criminal investigation supported by reasonable articulated suspicion AND the officer has articulable belief that the person detained is both armed AND dangerous. If armed was synonymous with dangerous the Supreme Court would not have used the second descriptor.

There was NO suspicion of criminal activity yet you prolonged this detention falsely imprisoning this man. You unlawfully searched that free American's property against his explicit instructions. You unlawfully put your hands on his body, an assault under color of law. And you say you were just doing your job? Ever hear of the Nuremburg defense? Shame on you bro.

Excellent points, sir!

IYAOYAS

Just an update: Today I went and talked to the supervisor at the OPD about the incident. The SGT. seemed like a really good guy and pro 2A I brought up the three issues that I had with the conduct of the officers involved i.e. Search of serial number, physically detained, and search of my person. We both agreed that this is a training issue that needed to be addressed with the junior officers, He said that he would bring these issues up with the DA and inform me of what they say. He said that the officer was new to the force and training would be implemented. I kinda wish that excuse worked with traffic tickets.
Im sorry your honor I am a new driver I wasn't aware of all the little traffic ordinances.
I informed him that as long as it is legal I will continue to UOC and when I feel my rights are violated I will comply with orders while verbally protesting and I will not physically resist his officers. He said he wished more people protested as peaceful as I did.
In conclusion I think that the issues will be dealt with through the chain of cmd. I feel that we have all learned from the experience and the OPD and UOCer's are kinda on the same page. Still there is much work to do because the general public doesn't have this understanding and they will continue to call the Police on law abiding citizens exercising their rights openly which will continue to be a waste of the Police departments time and tax payer dollars. I think that officers should follow up with "concerned" citizens that call them on UOCers and explain to the citizen that it is perfectly legal for a person to UOC in california.

cato

Just an update: Today I went and talked to the supervisor at the OPD about the incident. The SGT. seemed like a really good guy and pro 2A I brought up the three issues that I had with the conduct of the officers involved i.e. Search of serial number, physically detained, and search of my person. We both agreed that this is a training issue that needed to be addressed with the junior officers, He said that he would bring these issues up with the DA and inform me of what they say. He said that the officer was new to the force and training would be implemented. I kinda wish that excuse worked with traffic tickets.
Im sorry your honor I am a new driver I wasn't aware of all the little traffic ordinances.
I informed him that as long as it is legal I will continue to UOC and when I feel my rights are violated I will comply with orders while verbally protesting and I will not physically resist his officers. He said he wished more people protested as peaceful as I did.
In conclusion I think that the issues will be dealt with through the chain of cmd. I feel that we have all learned from the experience and the OPD and UOCer's are kinda on the same page. Still there is much work to do because the general public doesn't have this understanding and they will continue to call the Police on law abiding citizens exercising their rights openly which will continue to be a waste of the Police departments time and tax payer dollars. I think that officers should follow up with "concerned" citizens that call them on UOCers and explain to the citizen that it is perfectly legal for a person to UOC in california.

I would recommend sending them something in writting via registered return receipt mail. Supervisors (Sgts) have a way of talking out of both sides of their mouths. They know how to talk to you, make you feel good so you don't file a formal complaint, and protect their men. I'm not saying make a formal complaint just put them on notice. It could help you in the future. Just send the sgt. an e-mail memorializing the conversation.

Have you applied to SDSO and gotten a ccw denial for legal insurance?

Last edited:

cato

Excellent points, sir!

Thank you. But my legal 'correctness' is not just limited to when we agree. :) I wish some here would recognize this in relation to applying for a ccw licenses (denials in many cases) to assist our carrier's defense should they ever be chaged with any gun crime in the future.

I don't like it (licensing) but the jurisprudence leans in that direction especially in light of Heller being the only plaintiff to make to SCOTUS.

Robin47

To my brothers in blue,

Arizona vs HICKS - you can not manipulate an object (search) to find the serial number which you don't have the power to keep in your custody, even when it is in 'plain view'. You were obviously searching for the serial number; an activity which is not part of checking the chamber for a round - the only activity authorized by 12031(e) PC (the constitutionality of which is in doubt since it is a non-warrant search for criminal activity absent consent, an exception, or probable cause).

Good post Cato, but have you ever seen the movie "They Live" ?
Check it out ! Alien to our Constitution & BoR Robin47 :)

Gooelf

I hope any follow up with "concerned citizens" is more than just simply sir/ma'am it's legal...

I think many do not really have an issue with the legality of it, they take exception to its presence regardless due to ignorance on danger levels and actual existence of threat.

Firemark

I would recommend sending them something in writting via registered return receipt mail. Supervisors (Sgts) have a way of talking out of both sides of their mouths. They know how to talk to you, make you feel good so you don't file a formal complaint, and protect their men. I'm not saying make a formal complaint just put them on notice. It could help you in the future. Just send the sgt. an e-mail memorializing the conversation.

Have you applied to SDSO and gotten a ccw denial for legal insurance?

"Officer I applied for a CCW at Sheriff Gores licensing office, they told me I did not have good cause and would be unable to acquire a permit, they said I could fill out the paperwork and pay the fee but would definitley be denied. So UOC is my only other legal option."

"Would you like to hear the digital recording of my conversation with the licensing clerk? I have it right here with a copy of Judge Gonzales ruling that Open Carry is my other legal alternative from Peruta v. San Diego."

Last edited: