Thread: New Lansing PD Chief to be announced at 2:00PM today (1-18-11)

New Lansing PD Chief to be announced at 2:00PM today (1-18-11)

Heard it on the radio, on my way home from the doc's office. Keeping my fingers crossed that they keep the one they have now, as she seems to be OC friendly, or at least informed.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Banned
    We should be part of the welcoming committee, that should get things off on the right foot.

I agree Al,i like the current one,she has handled things decently for the most part imo.
    Last edited by lil_freak_66; 01-18-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Bernero names Szymanski as Lansing police chief

Susan Vela • svela@lsj.com • January 18, 2011

LANSING -- Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero has named Teresa Szymanski as Lansing's next chief of police. She becomes the first female chief in the history of the department.

Szymanski, who has been serving as interim chief since March, was one of three finalists for the position recommended by the city's Board of Police Commissioners to Bernero. The commission meets at 5:30 p.m. today and can affirm or reject Bernero's appointment.

The other two candidates were Capts. Ray Hall and Mike Yankowski.

"I look forward to being part of your team," Szymanski told the mayor at a news conference today. "I realize that to whom much is given, much is expected."

Szymanski was named interim chief after former Chief Mark Alley retired last March to take a job at Emergent BioSolutions Inc., which manufactures the anthrax vaccine.

Szymanski took his place on a temporary basis that same month, leading the department’s budget negotiations that resulted in precinct consolidation. To save the city $700,000 a year, LPD turned its North Precinct into its new uniform patrol division and its South Precinct into its new investigations division.

The city wrapped up its search for a new chief last fall and, in December, interviewed six of nine applicants. Capt. Rex Marks of the Grass Valley, Calif., police department was the only candidate who was not an LPD employee.

Lansing spent “less than a couple thousand” dollars on statewide advertising with groups such as the Michigan Municipal League and Capital Area Michigan Works, according to Jerry Ambrose, Bernero’s chief of staff.

Lansing's police department has approximately 250 sworn officers and 100 civilian employees. The department’s annual budget is approximately $33 million. The police chief's salary was advertised at $79,398 to $119,140 annually.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    We should be part of the welcoming committee, that should get things off on the right foot.
    Quoted myself just for fun.

isn't that kinda like talking to yourself and then answering yourself? lol
    Last edited by Onnie; 01-18-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

We welcomed her a year ago when she became acting chief!
    Last edited by lil_freak_66; 01-19-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Banned
    Oooh, I HATE when that happens. What's her stance on OC though?

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66 View Post

-------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------

I don't know that you could call her OC friendly, but she does know the laws, and I think would be quick to clear up any misunderstanding.
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 01-19-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    Big Gay Al

We welcomed her a year ago when she became acting chief!..........

Was the portion I did not quote really necessary? I would rather have the support of LE in firearms related matters. Building a positive relationship with them aids that goal. Insults like that do not help.

How was it an insult?that was not the intent of my post,and i apologize if it seems that way,what ive said was intended for a joking manner.

Every time (2 or 3 times)i have met Teresa,she has been very kind hearted and professional.

How was it an insult?that was not the intent of my post,and i apologize if it seems that way,what ive said was intended for a joking manner.

Every time (2 or 3 times)i have met Teresa,she has been very kind hearted and professional.
    While I can imagine your post was in jest, try looking at it from the point of view of a woman. Specially a woman who doesn't know you all that well, and then tell me it wasn't an insult.

I can say certain things to my wife, because I know her, and she knows me. But if I didn't, I would be very diplomatic in the things I'd say to her or about her to other people.

The key is, when the idea hits your head about sending a message, take a moment and consider how it might be received. Remember, this is a texting type of communication, so imparting emotions is not the easiest thing to do. It creates an atmosphere that's ripe for misunderstandings.
    Big Gay Al

i think she is a rather good chief,and her body isnt that bad either(just steer clear of the face)
    Lil_freak.... you know both Yooperlady and I... and that we have come to your online defense in the past. However ... we are both aghast by the unthinkingly cold insult given to a Police Chief who brought her Dept. in line with State law.

It is always unwise to insult an ally...
    Last edited by Bikenut; 01-19-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Perhaps anyone quoting the offending statement can edit their quote to exclude it and give freak the opportunity to change his post?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Good luck with that purchase permit now!

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Perhaps anyone quoting the offending statement can edit their quote to exclude it and give freak the opportunity to change his post?
    Perhaps folks will step up and accept responsibility for what they post in haste or in jest... better yet... perhaps folks will be more careful about what they post proofreading it before hitting the "submit" button.

Perhaps if more care was taken in what was posted... if folks were to understand that this is not a private social networking forum but a forum that is watched worldwide (and carefully watched by many "agencies") then the amount of careless posts would dwindle to none?
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

It was in very poor taste.

Did you mean Chief Szymanski?

If she has interacted with you in a kind and professional manner you can at least extend the same courtesy to her.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    Good luck with that purchase permit now!
    Sometimes I wonder whose side you're on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Perhaps folks will step up and accept responsibility for what they post in haste or in jest... better yet... perhaps folks will be more careful about what they post proofreading it before hitting the "submit" button.

Perhaps if more care was taken in what was posted... if folks were to understand that this is not a private social networking forum but a forum that is watched worldwide (and carefully watched by many "agencies") then the amount of careless posts would dwindle to none?
    It's been my experience, given the opportunity, almost anyone can be counted on to stick their foot in their mouth at least once a year. Myself, I'll have to pass on it this year, since I broke my ankle.
    Big Gay Al

Sometimes I wonder whose side you're on.
    See that wink at the end of my sentence? That implies sarcasm, as in a joke. But to clarify 'who's side I'm on", that's the side of the people acting in a mature responsible way while in public in an effort to normalize OC. Clear enough for you?

Banned
    Glad to have you in my corner.

Looked like a smiley, not a wink.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    It's been my experience, given the opportunity, almost anyone can be counted on to stick their foot in their mouth at least once a year. Myself, I'll have to pass on it this year, since I broke my ankle.
    You still have one more perfectly good foot, so be careful!

And to lil you shouldn't try to make an enemy of a possible friend, not helpful. IMO you should always refer to someone in a polite professional manner. Title and last name, or just title.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Banned
    I know where he is coming from. I once called the police to the house over a problem with a neighbor, the officer was so hot, both my friend and I forgot for a second why we had called them. This chick was smokin'. We were like, Oh crap, then remembered why we called.