• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help Map GFSZ (School zones) for CA

hgreen

SBOC is starting a new committee to expand our current interactive GFSZ map to cover all of California.
http://www.southbayopencarry.org/maps/

Our current map covers most of the South Bay of Los Angeles. We have a professional GIS expert leading the team using professional GIS mapping tools so that it is as accurate as possible.
Our data is based on county assessor land/property data, public records databases, and personal knowledge.

In order to expand the map we need people willing to request the necessary data from their county/cities, do a quick sanity check on the data, then send it to our mapping committee chair to integrate into the interactive map.

Of course this is not a legally "perfect" map but it is a great guideline to help people immediately recognize if there will be a problem in an area of interest. It will also be expanded to future apps that will automatically alert users when they enter one of the mapped zones.

This is meant as a call to action for those that are interested.

Please send an email to mapping@sboc.ca if you would like more information.

If you are not interested and/or don't believe in mapping school zones, then don't respond. This is not a debate about the merits of mapping, its a resource for those who would like to use it.

stuckinchico

[/QUOTE] Ignorance is never a good excuse.[/QUOTE]

may not be a good excuse but perhaps a better defense. Yes, do your research, but dont let on that you did where it can be proven that you did... IE maps in your car in plan view that have school zones mapped out...... or list of street that border that zone....

Last edited:

coolusername2007

The only really good thing about a map is the visual aid aspect...there's nothing like a good visual aid to get your point across. A statewide map that is covered with red dots representing victim disarmament zones would be a very effective visual aid.

But I would caution against using it for meetups or for CYA reasons. Be responsible and do your own independent research for GFSZs.

stuckinchico

The only really good thing about a map is the visual aid aspect...there's nothing like a good visual aid to get your point across. A statewide map that is covered with red dots representing victim disarmament zones would be a very effective visual aid.

But I would caution against using it for meetups or for CYA reasons. Be responsible and do your own independent research for GFSZs.

+1

VW_Factor

Ignorance is never a good excuse

may not be a good excuse but perhaps a better defense. Yes, do your research, but dont let on that you did where it can be proven that you did... IE maps in your car in plan view that have school zones mapped out...... or list of street that border that zone....

Do you think a prosecutor would really care if you claimed stupidity of the law? I think not. I certainly wouldn't stand on the defense of.. "I am ignorant".. Sounds like a great plan to me. >.>

Edit : Fixing the /fail quotes... ?

Last edited:

stuckinchico

Do you think a prosecutor would really care if you claimed stupidity of the law? I think not. I certainly wouldn't stand on the defense of.. "I am ignorant".. Sounds like a great plan to me. >.>

Not too sure where your heading with this... and I m guessing it involves confusion of what i had written. Ill

In criminal law, there are certain "parts" or elements of a crime that the prosecution has to prove to successfully convict some one of a crime. lets look at 626.9 a

(a)This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.

(b)Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as specified in subdivision (f).

The bold text are elements that the prosecutor must prove .

Hypothetical:
Your walking down the street. There is school in the area. You think that you are 10 feet outside of the zone, when in reality ,and when measured, you are 5 feet inside the school zone. Bam!!! Murphy Law rears its ugly head. Local County mounties roll up on you and shine them pretty blue lights on ya..... Busted arrested for violation of 626.9

Now you go to trial. Prosecution is going to pound at the door that you knew or should have REASONABLY known you were in a school zone.

Your defense is going to repeatedly try to point that the prosecutor doesn't know what he is talking about. you ar ea law abiding citizen that did you best to avoid the school zone and to your knowledge that you were outside of it

Does this clarify what I am trying to stress???? Elements of a crime are like ingredients in a recipe . If you are missing an ingredient, your not making that recipe. With out all the elements of THAT crime, you dont have That crime. Granted, you may have another crime that fits that recipe

Last edited:

Gundude

For myself, I would rather know where the schools are than try to use the "I didn't know there was a school there" defense.

VW_Factor

Its the "reasonably should know" that is pretty vague. Oh, did I miss that school zone sign? I'm sorry, I'll pay more attention next time..

As a defense, thats pretty bad I feel, especially knowing that most DAs are going to aggressively pursue that.

Is where I am coming from.

Otherwise.. It simply can never be a bad thing, to have more information.

stuckinchico

Its the "reasonably should know" that is pretty vague. Oh, did I miss that school zone sign? I'm sorry, I'll pay more attention next time..

As a defense, thats pretty bad I feel, especially knowing that most DAs are going to aggressively pursue that.

Is where I am coming from.

Otherwise.. It simply can never be a bad thing, to have more information.

Accident last week took out that sign. Vandals took it.

Im not sayin an ignorance defense im saying that you REASONABLY KNEW that you were not in one. We had this debate in my Criminal Law class with my professor
Just for background Ive graduated with my AS in Criminal Justice And im underway in completing my BS in Criminal Justice. This is my hobby researching case laws and legislation.

VW_Factor

Accident last week took out that sign. Vandals took it.

Im not sayin an ignorance defense im saying that you REASONABLY KNEW that you were not in one. We had this debate in my Criminal Law class with my professor
Just for background Ive graduated with my AS in Criminal Justice And im underway in completing my BS in Criminal Justice. This is my hobby researching case laws and legislation.

That is great that you are studying CJ. I still wouldn't want to use that as a defense. Pretty shaky ground if you ask me.

stuckinchico

That is great that you are studying CJ. I still wouldn't want to use that as a defense. Pretty shaky ground if you ask me.

Me neither!!! man that would suck, however, worse things are known to happen. I have heard of people getting charged with 626.9 because of a private school that was not chartered or listed anywhere. Not on maps not on lists SO that is what I am talking about.

Get a much knowledge in your knowledge bank. Just remember once you think you got everything figured out, your wrong.. things change

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
This will probably help you hgreen: http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/sd/

If you want I could probably write a script that would grab all the addresses from that website and put it in an excel file or something. It doesn't look like private schools are included though.