• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Picketing business with ARS 4-229 "no guns" sign

armedman

Its just as much the business owners right to not allow weapons as it is everyone's right to carry. I just go elsewhere.
It makes me mad to see the sign, but he has rights as well.

Last edited:

Pace

Blah, what i do while in AZ is that I stand outside the door and ring the door, knock on the window until someone comes out. I point out that I'm a 9/11 survivor, x-LEO and that I OC but can't get my f'ing pizza in Pizza Hut, so ask them to take my order on the sidewalk.

Its just as much the business owners right to not allow weapons as it is everyone's right to carry. I just go elsewhere.
It makes me mad to see the sign, but he has rights as well.

lockman

State Researcher
Blah, what i do while in AZ is that I stand outside the door and ring the door, knock on the window until someone comes out. I point out that I'm a 9/11 survivor, x-LEO and that I OC but can't get my f'ing pizza in Pizza Hut, so ask them to take my order on the sidewalk.

+1

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

+2

I have a Right to point out what a giant douche bag the Business Owner is.

Pace

Yeah, also point out when he gets robbed next time, you'll be waiting on the sidewalk until the robber leaves the store... and the police come 20 minutes later.

+2

I have a Right to point out what a giant douche bag the Business Owner is.

Robin47

Another thing you can do is give out free signs, you know the ones that
have a circle with a line through it, and says "Gun Free Zone" then small writing saying
(all robbers welcome !) :)
Robin47

azcdlfred

Another thing you can do is give out free signs, you know the ones that have a circle with a line through it, and says "Gun Free Zone" then small writing saying (all robbers welcome !) Robin47
We (AzCDL) give them away at all gun shows. Pick up some when you join or renew your membership.

There is also a business card template to "roll your own" on our Educational Page. Scroll down to "Activism Tools."

Fred

Sonora Rebel

My wife took her truck to Integrity Automotive on Ina Rd (Marana). She'd alread made the appointment by phone. There'a a big ol' 'No Firearms' sign on the door. Wife takes note... complains to the manager. Manager sez it comes from the owner. Sez it's 'cause of some OSHA reg... but the posting is ARS 4-229. OK... wife-poo's got a .40 in her purse. Tells the guy to advise the owner she's lost a repeat customer. Several in fact. This is a rare event for us.

armedman

I have spoken with managers and owners that have the signs posted. Most are just ignorant about it. One told me he did not want a "shootout" in his restaurant. He said if a BG points a gun at him and he gives up the $ hopefully he will leave and it will be over. If a "Rambo customer" comes to his aid and starts shooting, then the BG starts, all his customers are at a grater risk of being shoot. "Most likely the BG does not want to kill, he just wants the $."

My friend owns a store with the sign. She has a small 38 concealed on her all the time. Her brother has a 9mm and a shotgun by the safe. They let select customers carry concealed. She also does not want a shootout. She is a very good shot, and told me she has no idea how well a stranger (customer) can shoot. When she took her CCW class the instructor told her about some of the students that now carry and how bad and ignorant they are about guns. Thats when the sign got put up. She will let you carry if she knows you and if you are responsible and not a mall ninja. Get this, she has a NRA decal next the sign. I met them years ago when I was doing Armored work. I gave them crap all the time about the signs.

coorsleftfield

I know several people who carry concealed and just ignore the sign. How are they ever going to know if you're truly carrying concealed anyway.

coorsleftfield

It actually is a crime if you ignore the sign, and you can get charged with misconduct with a firearm and/or tresspassing, since they made it clear they did not want you in their business with a firearm. However, if you actually conceal it, they will never know, but you're still breaking the law technically.

An interesting point about these signs. They have to post 2 copies. One at all entrance doors and a 2nd by the liquor license. You are allowed to enter, with your firearm, for the purpose of checking if the 2nd sign is posted correctly. If it's not, then you are good to go. One thing about this, if you're open carrying, expect to be asked to leave anyway.

azcdlfred

It actually is a crime if you ignore the sign, and you can get charged with misconduct with a firearm and/or tresspassing, since they made it clear they did not want you in their business with a firearm. However, if you actually conceal it, they will never know, but you're still breaking the law technically. An interesting point about these signs. They have to post 2 copies. One at all entrance doors and a 2nd by the liquor license. You are allowed to enter, with your firearm, for the purpose of checking if the 2nd sign is posted correctly. If it's not, then you are good to go. One thing about this, if you're open carrying, expect to be asked to leave anyway.
Businesses do not have to post two signs. The law only requires one sign to be near the liquor license, which sometimes is hard to find. There is no requirement to post at the door.

Last year we (AzCDL) got the liquor laws changed to require that the license be posted in a conspicuous location. Prior to that it could be anywhere. Chipotle's was in a back hallway, not accessed by the public, and next to it was the no firearms sign. They never posted on the door until recently.

Regarding penalties, it isn't a tresspassing violation to enter where liquor is consumed - it's a misdemeanor for ignoring the sign.

The trespassing issue is when businesses, like Costco, post a no firearms sign at the door.

Fred

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Regarding penalties, it isn't a tresspassing violation to enter where liquor is consumed - it's a misdemeanor for ignoring the sign.

The trespassing issue is when businesses, like Costco, post a no firearms sign at the door.

This one IS a little tough to follow.

If the business posts their front door NO FIREARMS, then it's trespassing.

If they don't post, but only display the requirements in the Alcohol law; it's not trespassing, it's failure to obey that load of crap about alcohol.

Same sign, different place, different law, different penalty. Could use some ironing out. No rational person would follow that process. It's illogical.

azcdlfred

This one IS a little tough to follow. If the business posts their front door NO FIREARMS, then it's trespassing. If they don't post, but only display the requirements in the Alcohol law; it's not trespassing, it's failure to obey that load of crap about alcohol. Same sign, different place, different law, different penalty. Could use some ironing out. No rational person would follow that process. It's illogical.
Yes, the laws are stupid, and we're busting our ass to make them better, but they aren't that hard to understand.

If you are entering a place that serves alcohol for consumption that is "posted" (no firearms) it's a misdemeanor for carrying a firearm inside. This is covered in the liquor statutes. The sign does not have to be at the door - it's required to be near the liquor license.

Any other private property (other than a place that serves booze) that is posted "no firearms" is a trespassing issue. Different statute.

And, any "public" building (i.e., state and local government) that is posted is required to provide storage.

Logic has nothing to do with making laws. That's high school civics fantasy. If there is one thing I've learned from 5 years of successfully pushing through improvements to Arizona's firearms law is that "The perfect is the enemey of the good."

Fred