• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tuscaloosa

M

mattwestm

So, I've added UA to my list of graduate school applications. That being said, it's time to research gun laws in Alabama. I noticed that AL is "may-issue". Are they generally pretty lax about giving out permits or is it california style "may-issue"? How are people towards OC and are there any weird laws I should know about?

Does this line mean I can't carry in stores? "It is unlawful for a person to
carry a pistol about his person on premises not his own or
under his control"

Thanks!

eye95

So, I've added UA to my list of graduate school applications. That being said, it's time to research gun laws in Alabama. I noticed that AL is "may-issue". Are they generally pretty lax about giving out permits or is it california style "may-issue"? How are people towards OC and are there any weird laws I should know about?

under his control"

Thanks!

It depends upon the sheriff. All that I know of give permits to anyone who passes the background check. Although, some permits are full of restrictions.

For more information about Alabama, may I suggest http://www.alabamaopencarry.com/forum?

AL Ranger

under his control"

Thanks!
Matt, for all intents and purposes, Alabama is a shall-issue state except that you need a license to carry in your vehicle. Open Carry is legal while on foot. The licensing is fairly lax so if you can pass the background check, you're good to go. Each county license has a different cost and time to get your license. Usually no more than a month. Once you have it, it can be renewed via the mail. The line you quote is from section 13A-11-52. It starts with "Except as otherwise provided in this article" which means you need to read sections 13A-11-55 and 13A-11-73 as well. The ONLY illegal carry of pistol on premises not your own is concealed carry without a license.

Come on over to our site and get the full details about Alabama gun laws and OC.

M

mattwestm

Hmm, I found this link on the sheriff's website. Are you only allowed to conceal carry the handgun make/model/serial that you put on the form? I know some states only allow you to carry guns listed on the permit. Also, I've not been able to find a photo of what a permit looks like in Alabama... weird. If I move there, I'll OC 99% of the time, but I'd like to get the permit just for vehicle carry (even though I'm getting my Utah non-res permit soon).

Thanks

Brimstone Baritone

Hmmm... Most counties don't do that anymore. Best bet is either to ask or leave it blank.

I would (and did) also leave the line for SSN blank. Anything you put on the form is likely to wind up on the license, so be forewarned. (I hope I don't have to get a new permit if I change jobs. :D )

ETA:
Also, carrying at UA will get you sanctioned/expelled. It is not against the law, though, so if you want to be our test case feel free. ;)

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

In NC, it's a felony to carry on campus. I'd be way more willing to break a school rule than commit a felony, lol.

AL Ranger

That's why it is good to get the state laws on such things. In Alabama you can carry on school (K-12) property as long as you have no intent to do bodily harm. The federal law makes the same school property off limits unless you have a license to carry issued by the state. The federal laws don't take OC into account.