• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor McDonnell Issues Directive to Allow Lawful Carry in State Parks!

DontTreadOnMeVa

NRA-ILA_Al​ert:

Virginia: Addition to Earlier Alert Today, Governor McDonnell Issues Directive
to Allow Lawful Carry in State Parks!

Earlier today, the National Rifle Association sent out an incomplete alert about Governor Robert F. McDonnell's recent changes to Virginia's Administrative Code.

On January 14, Governor McDonnell issued a directive to the Department of Conservation and Recreation to cease enforcement of §4VAC5-30-200 which prohibits open carrying of firearms in State Parks and has immediate effect.

In September of 2008, as Attorney General, Bob McDonnell issued an opinion that the Department of Conservation and Recreation lacked specific legislative authorization to further regulate firearms.

In order for the regulatory change to conform to his previous opinion and current law, Governor McDonnell also directed that §4VAC5-30-200 is exempt from the normal Executive branch

VA-ALERT: State Forests will allow carry very soon!‏

I was told by one of the Governor's aides today that State Forests will soon allow both open and concealed carry. Open carry in State Parks is in the works, but is further behind in the process.

VCDL will advise as soon as we learn that State Forests are ready to allow carry.

Been a long road, hopefully we will be there soon!

ocholsteroc

wait, state parks now allow open carry?(soon) or you getting confused with forests?

So we now can carry open no permit in state parks?

"Firearms: Law enforcement officers and those with a concealed handgun permit may carry firearms. During hunts, hunters may have firearms, which should be unloaded and properly stored when outside designated hunt areas. Target shooting is prohibited. Air guns are prohibited"

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/faq.shtml

update soon?

This guy is so smart, now he just needs to allow it on school grounds :)

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

So if the governor can issue directives to state agencies to change Virginia Administrative Code, should I ask him if he would pretty please "direct" GMU and VCU to change Virginia Administrative Code to remove their gun bans?

;)

Would'nt this apply to all schools in VA? just about all of them are tax payer money? or am I wrong.:confused:

Last edited:

wylde007

Wouldn't this apply to all schools in VA? just about all of them are tax payer money? or am I wrong.:confused:
One might think.

The kicker is going to be if the Statewide Preemption bill passes this year. If it does, state agencies (including the Board of Education) will not be allowed to enforce any anti-gun policies beyond those specifically allowed by the general assembly.

nova

One might think.

The kicker is going to be if the Statewide Preemption bill passes this year. If it does, state agencies (including the Board of Education) will not be allowed to enforce any anti-gun policies beyond those specifically allowed by the general assembly.
but the K-12 ban would still be there since it was a law passed by the general assembly and not a state agency. Universities however would be covered as far as carry is concerned.

wylde007

but the K-12 ban would still be there since it was a law passed by the general assembly and not a state agency. Universities however would be covered as far as carry is concerned.
Yes. We all know that K-12 would not be part of that condition. Let's stop focusing on what the bill would NOT apply to, please.

Thundar

I respectfully disagree Nova.

Depending on the language actually adopted teenagers could go to school with rifles and shotguns in their trucks (left in rifle racks), and if 18 could keep a handgun in their cars (glove compartment).

This would be a good thing, IMHO.

Last edited:

VApatriot

Finally!!!

It's been almost three years now, but I finally feel like my efforts have paid off in this matter.

In case anyone doesn't know the backround of this directive, in April of 2008 I sent a letter to my State Senator at the time, Ken Cuccinelli, asking him to request an offical opinion from Attorney General Robert McDonnell regarding the legallity of the open carry ban in State Parks. Senator Cuccinelli requested an opinion from the AG in May of 2008, and McDonnell delivered a favorable opinion in September of the same year. However, at the time, our anti-gun governor, Tim Kaine, refused to force the DCR to cease enforcement of its regulation prohibiting OC.

When Bob McDonnell was sworn in as Governor in January of last year I was very optimistic that this issue world be resolved very quickly, but I guess I will have to be satisfied with it being better late than never at all.

mpd8488

wait, state parks now allow open carry?(soon) or you getting confused with forests?

So we now can carry open no permit in state parks?

"Firearms: Law enforcement officers and those with a concealed handgun permit may carry firearms. During hunts, hunters may have firearms, which should be unloaded and properly stored when outside designated hunt areas. Target shooting is prohibited. Air guns are prohibited"

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/faq.shtml

update soon?

Looks like it's been updated. No mention of firearms on that page at all

nova

I respectfully disagree Nova.

Depending on the language actually adopted teenagers could go to school with rifles and shotguns in their trucks (left in rifle racks), and if 18 could keep a handgun in their cars (glove compartment).

This would be a good thing, IMHO.

What I was saying was that the K-12 carry ban is law, not a state agency rule. The governor can't simply say that a law is invalid.

Remember keyword UNLOADED RIFLE/SHOTGUN

I don't consider transporting an unloaded firearms the same as carrying a firearm. One could save your life, the other is an expensive paperweight.

ocholsteroc

What I was saying was that the K-12 carry ban is law, not a state agency rule. The governor can't simply say that a law is invalid.

I don't consider transporting an unloaded firearms the same as carrying a firearm. One could save your life, the other is an expensive paperweight.

I was just saying that in VA OC a loaded handgun is legal but rifle/shotgun some cites do not allow. They can control loaded rifle/shotguns in some citys.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Yet we learned this weekend that our biggest local competitor has no issue with their employees keeping even loaded firearms in their cars. Wottacrok.

Repeater

Lori Haas speaks

Courtesy Jim Nolan of the RTD:

McDonnell order OKs openly carrying firearms in state parks

Gun-control advocates were dismayed by the change.

"Allowing open carry in state parks could be extremely detrimental to tourism," said Lori Haas of Virginians for Responsible Gun Laws. Haas' daughter was wounded in the 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech.

"How would a family with young children feel if in the campsite next to theirs is an [size=+1]AR-15[/size], an [size=+2]automatic weapon[/size], an [size=+3]assault rifle[/size]? This action allows anyone to open carry in state parks. Concealed carry is more than sufficient."

An ASSAULT RIFLE? OMG :shocker:

nuc65

Activist Member
My response was directly relevant to SCHOOL PROPERTY.

Please try to recognize and acknowledge the context of a discussion by reading ALL of the posts.

state parks, school property, open carry anywhere Which part of ALL the posts would you like me to ignore?

My comment was related, what we can do on school property is infringed by the company I work for.

Last edited: