• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Robbers have Mace, Owner has Gun

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Dumb crooks. But, I don't know about that store owner. Shooting people who are trying to leave? Kicking one who is down and clearly not trying to attack? Hitting one in the head with a gun when he is down?

It seems pretty apparent both gave up their aggression and were trying to end the difficulty.

MK

Wow, those two robbers are incredibly lucky if they survived all those shots fired at them at close range. When he got down in their face, they had to just know he wasn't going to miss should he fire again. I can understand the shooting since he was maced in the face, they are trapped inside with him and he can't be certain they don't have a concealed firearm but the pistol whipping was really stupid. No need to get that close to them.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I can understand the shooting since he was maced in the face, they are trapped inside with him and he can't be certain they don't have a concealed firearm but the pistol whipping was really stupid. No need to get that close to them.

You have a good point. That stuff is painful, and they gave him a face full.

I can easily imagine anger from pain overriding rationality.

MK

I just watched the fourth clip from the linked episode, the one with the female cop and a head cam. It looks like a first person shooter when she pulls her gun out and switches to the club.

Nevada carrier

Was it a castle doctrine state? If so, deadly force is authorized in defense of property. Not to mention the public decent should a shop owner be prosecuted for shooting armed robbers.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Considering the totality of the circumstance, if charges were levied against the store owner, I wouldn't personally convict him of anything, on self-defense grounds alone. No castle-doctrine needed.

Well, I might consider misdemeanor battery for the unnecessary but satisfying pistol-whipping, recommending minimum sentence. But, considering homicide or manslaughter charges, as far as I am concerned, a reasonable person in his circumstance might fear for his life. Outnumbered, and already suffering from being maced, I wouldn't question this fear on the part of an elderly store-owner.

Now, we might all look back and, noticing their actions while the owner was reeling with a face full of capsaicin, say, "no, they might have only wanted the jewelry!".

If bad guys don't want people acting with lethal force on their fears, those bad guys shouldn't go about assaulting folks in such a way as to give those folks such reasonable fears. Far as I'm concerned, the victim's judgement gets the benefit of the doubt, and bad guys just have to live -- or die -- with that.

Last edited:
M

McX

Considering the totality of the circumstance, if charges were levied against the store owner, I wouldn't personally convict him of anything, on self-defense grounds alone. No castle-doctrine needed.

totality of circumstances! dang it marshaul, your using my line.....well actually madison pd's line. we were debating the old game, at a recent meet, with a new twist: paper, scissors, rock.................gun.

Tawnos

The first fifteen minutes of the show seems like good police decisions. Then there was a ton of unearned praise (might even call it bootlicking) and unneeded police abuse. I dunno, the announcer bugs me.