Thread: OC - Traveling to AZ

OC - Traveling to AZ

Hello OC'er of Arizona!

I will be traveling to the Grand Canyon and was curious if Sedona was very anti OC?

OCing in CA is pretty strict and I'm pretty used to getting 12031e'd by LEO's but was curious if anyone knew about there in particular?
    I do not have a UTAH/FL CCW, so I will be OCing as a traveler.
    Noticed I cannot OC in places alcohol is served, which is a major bummer since it's my 3rd anniversary with my wife. . .

And one last thing, I can have my gun loaded as I OC, correct? I saw info on loaded OC in my vehicle in plain view or glove boxed, but not about regular daily OC.

Thanks for all the help everyone and looking forward to spending a week in your state.
    If anyone has a link to an OC AZ pamphlet id love to read it!

Quote Originally Posted by XD5 View Post
    Hello OC'er of Arizona!

I will be traveling to the Grand Canyon and was curious if Sedona was very anti OC?

OCing in CA is pretty strict and I'm pretty used to getting 12031e'd by LEO's but was curious if anyone knew about there in particular?
    I do not have a UTAH/FL CCW, so I will be OCing as a traveler.
    Noticed I cannot OC in places alcohol is served, which is a major bummer since it's my 3rd anniversary with my wife. . .

And one last thing, I can have my gun loaded as I OC, correct? I saw info on loaded OC in my vehicle in plain view or glove boxed, but not about regular daily OC.

Thanks for all the help everyone and looking forward to spending a week in your state.
    If anyone has a link to an OC AZ pamphlet id love to read it!
    Welcome!!

First, AZ law states that anyone 18 or older, who is legally able to own a gun, may carry a gun openly. Open Carry means that all or part of the holster is visible and clearly identifiable as a holster. Just wear a gun and don't cover it up. Carry it loaded (ain't no good otherwise) with 'one in the pipe'. In your car, the gun must be either a) in plain sight (dash, passenger seat, etc); b) holstered; c) in a glove box, center console, or map pocket; d) in luggage.

If you are 21 or older, you may carry discretely if you chose (partially concealed, totally concealed, whatever) without a permit. In a car, you may conceal anyway you choose (under seat, etc).

You can carry just about everywhere (no preemption by local law). No such thing as an 'e-check' here. Stay out of federal facilities [post offices, and national park or national forest offices], stay out of schools (no 1000' rule, guns on school property must be unloaded and out of sight in car), stay out of voting places, and nuclear or hydroelectric plants.

Private businesses will post signs ("no firearms" or some such) if they don't want guns inside. Those signs have no weight (just like 'no shoes=no service') but you could be arrested/cited for trespassing if you refuse to leave when asked. Generally, such signage means 'conceal carry' to me.

Any place that serves alcohol (bars or many restaurants) are no-go for open carry. Unless posted, it is ok to conceal carry with a concealed weapons permit-but don' drink. If such a place is posted 'no firearms' [official sign = generic semi-auto pistol in red circle with red line] it is generally at the door or at the liquor license. Such places are illegal to carry a gun by law.

Sedona is fine to carry. AZ is gun friendly, and Yavapai county is very gun friendly. It doesn't get any more liberal than Sedona, and it is not a problem there (individual businesses may vary).

Grand Canyon is OK to carry (just stay out of ALL buildings, as they are fed owned) because it follows state law.

Talking

What he said.

Enjoy your stay in one of the freest states in the Union- a state where the constitution means what it says and the government acknowledges the rights with which we were endowed by our creator.

i thought that national forests/parks were OC friendly? don't they go by state law?

Wow, thank you so much for all of the in-depth information! I appreciate it very much!!
    I know i'm really going to enjoy myself in your state, as well as highly enjoy my time outside of the Left-Coast-California.
    I printed off that reply you posted and will be sure to keep all of that with me as well as memorizing it during my drive to your beautiful state!

Thanks again and carry on!

Adding to all the other great comments. The best free source for the laws is this document. It covers all of Arizona's gun laws and is what the Department of Public Safety (DPS), the agency that issues CCW permits requires their CCW instructors to teach from.

Fred

Since you are traveling through Arziona, you might want to obtain your Constitutional Carry Card (scroll down about mid-way through the page after clicking on the link).

Fred
    Last edited by azcdlfred; 01-19-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Welcome to AZ, enjoy your stay!

You might want to stock up on ammo while you're here, I hear things are getting even weirder in the PRK.

-MH
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

Are the gun laws in AZ applicable to visitors and residents ?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastermason11 View Post
    Equally and the same. Your home state might be NY and have no permit, but when in Arizona you may enjoy Constitutional Carry.

When you are physically in a state, you act in accordance with the laws of that state.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thank you. Next time I visit my cousins in AZ, i will be using my IWB holster.. It only gets used inside my house @ PRK.. Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by ehewitt1990 View Post
    i thought that national forests/parks were OC friendly? don't they go by state law?
    They are, however, by the governing Federal law, you can not OC or CC into the actual buildings in the Park/Forest. Stupid, but that's the way it is... for now.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastermason11 View Post
    With the exception of purchasing a firearm, State gun laws apply to those inside the State, regardless of legal residency of the person.

Federal law (and some States' laws I suppose) limits firearm purchases based on State of legal residency.

But possession, carrying, use of deadly force, etc are covered by the State law. That is the good thing.

The bad thing is, they are also governed by Indian Tribal law when you are on Tribal lands of which there is no shortage in Arizona. Those more familiar than I would need to bring you up to speed on any practical implications.

Charles

Man that must be nice. Mississippi is one of the more freeER states in the country, but dang, Arizona's got it going on! And you mean to tell me that since Jan Brewer signed that bill into law, there's not rivers of blood in the streets?

We're told that's what would happen, but I haven't read about it lately.