• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC - Traveling to AZ

XD5

Hello OC'er of Arizona!

I will be traveling to the Grand Canyon and was curious if Sedona was very anti OC?

OCing in CA is pretty strict and I'm pretty used to getting 12031e'd by LEO's but was curious if anyone knew about there in particular?
I do not have a UTAH/FL CCW, so I will be OCing as a traveler.
Noticed I cannot OC in places alcohol is served, which is a major bummer since it's my 3rd anniversary with my wife. . .

And one last thing, I can have my gun loaded as I OC, correct? I saw info on loaded OC in my vehicle in plain view or glove boxed, but not about regular daily OC.

Thanks for all the help everyone and looking forward to spending a week in your state.
If anyone has a link to an OC AZ pamphlet id love to read it!

AZkopper

Hello OC'er of Arizona!

I will be traveling to the Grand Canyon and was curious if Sedona was very anti OC?

OCing in CA is pretty strict and I'm pretty used to getting 12031e'd by LEO's but was curious if anyone knew about there in particular?
I do not have a UTAH/FL CCW, so I will be OCing as a traveler.
Noticed I cannot OC in places alcohol is served, which is a major bummer since it's my 3rd anniversary with my wife. . .

And one last thing, I can have my gun loaded as I OC, correct? I saw info on loaded OC in my vehicle in plain view or glove boxed, but not about regular daily OC.

Thanks for all the help everyone and looking forward to spending a week in your state.
If anyone has a link to an OC AZ pamphlet id love to read it!

Welcome!!

First, AZ law states that anyone 18 or older, who is legally able to own a gun, may carry a gun openly. Open Carry means that all or part of the holster is visible and clearly identifiable as a holster. Just wear a gun and don't cover it up. Carry it loaded (ain't no good otherwise) with 'one in the pipe'. In your car, the gun must be either a) in plain sight (dash, passenger seat, etc); b) holstered; c) in a glove box, center console, or map pocket; d) in luggage.

If you are 21 or older, you may carry discretely if you chose (partially concealed, totally concealed, whatever) without a permit. In a car, you may conceal anyway you choose (under seat, etc).

You can carry just about everywhere (no preemption by local law). No such thing as an 'e-check' here. Stay out of federal facilities [post offices, and national park or national forest offices], stay out of schools (no 1000' rule, guns on school property must be unloaded and out of sight in car), stay out of voting places, and nuclear or hydroelectric plants.

Private businesses will post signs ("no firearms" or some such) if they don't want guns inside. Those signs have no weight (just like 'no shoes=no service') but you could be arrested/cited for trespassing if you refuse to leave when asked. Generally, such signage means 'conceal carry' to me.

Any place that serves alcohol (bars or many restaurants) are no-go for open carry. Unless posted, it is ok to conceal carry with a concealed weapons permit-but don' drink. If such a place is posted 'no firearms' [official sign = generic semi-auto pistol in red circle with red line] it is generally at the door or at the liquor license. Such places are illegal to carry a gun by law.

Sedona is fine to carry. AZ is gun friendly, and Yavapai county is very gun friendly. It doesn't get any more liberal than Sedona, and it is not a problem there (individual businesses may vary).

Grand Canyon is OK to carry (just stay out of ALL buildings, as they are fed owned) because it follows state law.

Dahwg

What he said.

Enjoy your stay in one of the freest states in the Union- a state where the constitution means what it says and the government acknowledges the rights with which we were endowed by our creator.

XD5

Wow, thank you so much for all of the in-depth information! I appreciate it very much!!
I know i'm really going to enjoy myself in your state, as well as highly enjoy my time outside of the Left-Coast-California.
I printed off that reply you posted and will be sure to keep all of that with me as well as memorizing it during my drive to your beautiful state!

Thanks again and carry on!

azcdlfred

Adding to all the other great comments. The best free source for the laws is this document. It covers all of Arizona's gun laws and is what the Department of Public Safety (DPS), the agency that issues CCW permits requires their CCW instructors to teach from.

Fred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Are the gun laws in AZ applicable to visitors and residents ?

Equally and the same. Your home state might be NY and have no permit, but when in Arizona you may enjoy Constitutional Carry.

When you are physically in a state, you act in accordance with the laws of that state.

Mastermason11

Thank you. Next time I visit my cousins in AZ, i will be using my IWB holster.. It only gets used inside my house @ PRK.. Lol...

utbagpiper

Banned
Are the gun laws in AZ applicable to visitors and residents ?

With the exception of purchasing a firearm, State gun laws apply to those inside the State, regardless of legal residency of the person.

Federal law (and some States' laws I suppose) limits firearm purchases based on State of legal residency.

But possession, carrying, use of deadly force, etc are covered by the State law. That is the good thing.

The bad thing is, they are also governed by Indian Tribal law when you are on Tribal lands of which there is no shortage in Arizona. Those more familiar than I would need to bring you up to speed on any practical implications.

Charles

MSRebel54

Man that must be nice. Mississippi is one of the more freeER states in the country, but dang, Arizona's got it going on! And you mean to tell me that since Jan Brewer signed that bill into law, there's not rivers of blood in the streets?

We're told that's what would happen, but I haven't read about it lately.